2001/2 Cobra steering column slop

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 2001/2 Cobra steering column slop  (Read 8665 times)

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
2001/2 Cobra steering column slop
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:36:06 pm »
So, my Cobra has a little slop in the steering, it's the top collapsible spline that feeds into the steering wheel.
I bought a largely unused US-spec steering column a while ago but it's too short, so I left it sitting around. In the last couple of weeks I got a steering column out of a wrecked 2001 car, hoping that it would be good. While it's not much better than the one in my car, I think I can make one good unit from the two I have.
Here is a pic of the US and Australian items sitting side by side. The Australian one is longer, and it's the bottom half that is longer, and coincidentally that part of the column is still good - so I should be able to get the good top half from the US one and get it pressed onto the go Australian bottom half.

FYI for you Australian Cobra owners out there....
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
Re: 2001/2 Cobra steering column slop
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »
No problems with mine. But thanks.it's good to know if I get a problem
Stormin

Offline Giffo

• Worked
  • LIFE IS A MUSTANG
  • Name: Steve G
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:23:20 pm »
One for the memory bank should the shite hit the fan. Surely they must have been made some where in Oz.
Tickford/Ford should know if there is any info in the old filing cabinets!!!

Change of subject. How is the Termi running now?

Jealous Me

:cry:
2002 MUSTANG COBRA - 4.6 SVT 5 SPEED - CONVERTIBLE.
Lowered Kings Springs, 3.73 diff gears, JTG CAI,  18" ROVOS DURBAN RIMS. MGW Short Shifter.  Slotted brake rotors. 2 1/2" SS Exhaust with Magnaflow high flow cats and mufflers.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:06 pm »
I think it's running a bit rich when cold. It was ok when I picked it up as it was REALLY cold, but as it's warming up the air is thinner and it fouls the plugs after 2-3kms of driving and then runs like a bag of bolts until warmed up. If I think hold it at about 4,000rpm for 5 seconds, it seems to clear out and then its fine, but it's not a happy camper until then.

Back to APS for a tickle up of the tune in a couple of weeks, then hopefully it'll be ok. Has a vibration at about 120kmh that isn't nice - will look at that, and one of the rear exhaust pipes is rubbing on the body somewhere, so that needs adjusting. It's as mad as a hatter though...

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 06:26:55 am »
Found this in an article about Aussie Cobras.

"Steering was based on European Fiesta rack with Falcon linkages forcing removal of front suspension and changes to front cross member, engine sump and power steering hydraulics. Brake hydraulics were moved to correct side."

Offline Giffo

• Worked
  • LIFE IS A MUSTANG
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:51:54 pm »
Found this in an article about Aussie Cobras.

"Steering was based on European Fiesta rack with Falcon linkages forcing removal of front suspension and changes to front cross member, engine sump and power steering hydraulics. Brake hydraulics were moved to correct side."

Where did you read this? This is what we are after. INFO, on anything on our 2001/2 Mustang Cobras.

Cheers
Lowered Kings Springs, 3.73 diff gears, JTG CAI,  18" ROVOS DURBAN RIMS. MGW Short Shifter.  Slotted brake rotors. 2 1/2" SS Exhaust with Magnaflow high flow cats and mufflers.

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:11:53 pm »
https://www.motoring.com.au/used-car-advice-ford-mustang-cobra-2001-03-7405/

The official Australian version of the 2001 Ford Mustang was the first US Ford passenger car with major Australian input since the last US LTD series of almost 30 years earlier. Joe Kenwright finds a classic in the making…

History
In a desperate and costly bid to offer a hero car to offset the local Monaro’s huge impact and provide a context for impending BA styling and Boss engines, Ford commissioned Tickford to strip imported Mustang Cobras almost to a bare shell and re-engineer them for mainstream Australian Design Rules and right-hand drive. Better than expected for an ageing 1994 Mustang base, it was marketed as a Ford hence no Tickford wings or special vehicle status within the Ford range.

Because Tickford did not apply any engineering or performance upgrades to the model during their re-manufacturing work, the company was always reluctant to equate it with their own enhanced Falcon range. Yet this Mustang had more Tickford input than most, was no less special and much more exclusive. Although the styrene cup generation bagged the ageing cabin, the bigger picture remains: a slightly crude, highly entertaining drive with a great soundtrack that went way beyond a conversion from left hand to right hand drive. Launched in February 2001, the final 2002 batch was cleared during 2003.

Prices
Despite $60,000 coupe clearance pricing in 2003, used prices have propped from around $50,000 with up to a $5000 premium for the convertible. Just over 400 sold compared to 16,000 Monaros so it’s already collectible.

Check it Out…

Verifying genuine Tickford re-manufactured example is critical. Complete engine and driveline were moved back towards the centre line to create the larger driver footwell with left footrest. This dictated modified cross members and centre tunnel sheet metal. A special dash manufactured for RHD and structure supported a new heating/ventilation system with proper coolant flow control and passenger airbag repositioned for local requirements.

Steering was based on European Fiesta rack with Falcon linkages forcing removal of front suspension and changes to front cross member, engine sump and power steering hydraulics. Brake hydraulics were moved to correct side.

Carpet was modified and all pedal controls were Australian engineered. Additional sound deadening was added throughout to meet local expectations. Electric driver’s seat adjustment was fitted during US production. Windscreen had to be removed then replaced which left cracks near pillars in some examples. Cruise control can malfunction.

Local headlight requirements dictated Japanese spec headlights with RHD beam alignment and additional high beam units cut into bumper fascia for distinctive appearance. Front indicators and rear tail lights also specific to this model.

All-alloy quad cam modular V8 with six bolt mains came in similar tune to local Boss 290 engine but reduced 4.6-litre capacity pegs output to 240 kW/430Nm hauling a kerb weight of around 1550-1600 kg. Some engines were monitored for oil consumption. Sole transmission was Tremec T45 5 speed with specific cable clutch operation. Local sump and extractors fitted while engine was removed.

Factory convertible has additional underbody frame for extra 60 kg in weight. Big air gap between wheel arches and smallish 17 inch wheels prompt owners to lower suspension and fit bigger wheels which may affect already marginal ride/handling balance.

Rear suspension is similar to AU Falcon’s multi-link IRS with extra aluminium components. Worn rear bushes, diff back lash and tail shaft wear can be worries when some examples have been upgraded or dragged or involved in burn out competitions. Manual gearbox can be noisy but knowing when it shouldn’t be is the key. There is no auto option on these Australian-delivered cars.

First batch included white, black, metallic red and silver. Second batch included blue, yellow and a different white. Data Dots were added later in 2001 but should be retrofitted to first cars.

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:48:13 pm »
And this one.

[Australian flag]   
How To Make An Australian Mustang

Related article: 2001 Australian Mustang and Cobra

The re-engineering of the Mustang to right hand drive is the most complex manufacturing process undertaken by Tickford in Australia.

Tooling costs alone were more than three times those for the XR program.

The process involves the manufacture of 150 major new components and 200 minor components such as brackets, as well as the modification of a further 50 existing parts. More than 250 documented process are involved.

"We basically had to develop an entire engineering and manufacturing process. In the end, that is what sets us apart from traditional conversion operations. This is a defined production process, rather than a cut and weld conversion," Tickford Managing Director, David Flint said.

"As this is a premium, low-volume product, we were also mindful of keeping the focus of the program squarely on the customer. Apart from the simple mechanical process, it was an exercise in ergonomics, styling and listening to the customer," he said. The process involved extensive use of Computer Aided Design to produce unique components, as well as the manufacture of templates to ensure that each vehicle was modified to identical specifications.

The total investment in the two-year program was about $4 million.

Nine physical prototypes were built, including one crash vehicle and one durability vehicle. Several virtual prototypes were also engineered, incorporating data from the US Mustang development program.

About 25 engineers worked on the initial project, with six others joining for the launch phase. Twelve production personnel carry out the modification work.

Each vehicle takes 55 man-hours.

American muscle meets Aussie ingenuity
Tickford in Australia managed the whole program, drawing on the resources of Ford in the United States.

"For us, it was the best of both worlds. We could be right on top of the development and add a personal, Tickford flavour, while making use of the vast resources of Ford in the States," Mr Flint said.

"That assistance was particularly helpful in terms of testing engineering concepts and running crash data. We were able to crunch the numbers on the Cray computers in the States and move forward with confidence that the engineering solutions we had put in place were fundamentally sound," he said.

The program did, however, produce a number of challenges. One of those was the manufacture of the instrument panel. The panel fascia was designed in Australia by Tickford but manufactured in the United States.

"Because of the low volumes involved it didn't make economic sense for the Ford plant that produces the Mustang to do the Australian instrument panel. There aren't many economies of scale with 250 units a year," he said.

The solution was to use the US supplier that had produced the prototype instrument panels during the original Mustang development program.

"We found that the deal made economic sense to them and it gave us the added advantage of having the IP produced by a small boutique operation," he said.

US Modifications
Left hand drive Mustangs arrive in Australia with some minor modifications.

The vehicles' tail lamps and head lamps are Japanese specification, which are closer to meeting Australian design rules. The head lamp beam is oriented to right hand drive.

The rear tail lamps are further modified in Australia to meet design rules, while the head lamps are supplemented by a set of high beam lamps.

This process involves the first change to the Mustang's sheet metal.

The front bumper cover is removed and cut to allow the new lamps to be fitted, while the steel beam is also removed and the lamps attached to it by brackets. Two new bezels are fitted over the lamps.

New side indicator lamps are fitted in Australia.

The other modification carried out in the States involves the seats, with the electric driver's seat installed on the right hand side on the line in Detroit.

Other US modifications include the installment of an Australian ADR-compliant windscreen, seatbelts and a Japanese-spec exhaust to meet local noise requirements.

The Tickford Touch
The process begins with the removal of the engine, gearbox and tailshaft.

Inside the car, the seats, instrument panel, carpet and sound deadening material are removed to allow for the necessary modifications to the firewall.

CAD-generated templates are used to ensure accuracy in the gaps cut in the firewall for the pedals and steering column.

The gaps in the left hand side of the firewall are covered by panels which are bolted and riveted. A structural adhesive and bonding material is also applied to reinforce the structural integrity of the panel.

The firewall was extensively tested using CAD tools prior to the final physical crash testing.

The Domino Effect
The repositioning of the steering column and pedals creates a domino effect under the bonnet of the Mustang.

The air-conditioning and heating system has to be moved to the left hand side of the car, which requires a major reworking of the system by a third party supplier in Australia.

Under the bonnet, hoses and wiring that serve the air-conditioning system are re-routed to accommodate its new position.

The instrument panel also needs to be disassembled, with the instrument cluster, air ducts, controls and air registers all re-positioned. The passenger's airbag also is repositioned and tested.

Other cabin items that require modification include the power window switches and their bezels, the power side mirror controls and the mirrors themselves, the sunvisors (for ADR purposes) and the seatbelt and child restraint anchors.

Once installed on the prototypes, the anchors were subjected to stringent safety testing.

The instrument panel fascia was designed by Tickford to be a mirror image of the US standard instrument panel.

"The fact that we designed the IP ourselves allowed us the luxury of being able to finesse the vehicle more as we assembled it. We also added more sound deadening material," he said.

The carpet requires minor modifications, while all three pedals are Australian designs.

"We've recognised that often one of the areas that suffers in a conversion is driver comfort, so we have designed the pedals specifically for this car," he said.

The central gearbox tunnel is also modified to allow for a footrest for the driver.

"The left footwell in the US Mustang is larger than the right to improve driver comfort, so we have had to modify the right hand side," he said.

The engine and gearbox in the US-spec Mustang are offset slightly to the right to accommodate the bigger driver footwell, which means more modifications for Tickford.

In order to move the engine and gearbox to the right, the vehicle's cross member is modified, with brackets repositioned to retain necessary clearances in the engine bay.

The steering column itself is untouched, but a new steering rack is sourced from Germany and modified in Australia.

The sump also requires modifications to allow for sufficient clearance from the new steering rack, while the master cylinder and booster are moved and hydraulic lines are re-routed.

Once the engine is installed, the vehicle's driveline is re-balanced to take into account the re-positioning of the engine and gearbox. A wheel alignment is also carried out.

The car is quality tested by Tickford engineers at each step of the modification process, before moving to the Broadmeadows Assembly Plant for a final squeak and rattle test.

A drive test and an "eye of the customer" quality review is then conducted before the vehicle is signed off and delivered to the customer.

"The process has been complex and challenging, but we believe that the final product sets a new standard in terms of low-volume right hand drive conversions," Mr Flint said.

Offline Giffo

• Worked
  • LIFE IS A MUSTANG
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 04:35:14 pm »
WOW, thats awesome reading. I found the odd paragraph on the internet but not as much as this.
Wonder where steering racks can be found then??

Many thanks

:thumb:

Offline Giffo

• Worked
  • LIFE IS A MUSTANG
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:47 pm »
Jeff, was the wrecked one you got from an Aussie Cobra??? How has it turned out?
How is the engine going by the way??????

So, my Cobra has a little slop in the steering, it's the top collapsible spline that feeds into the steering wheel.
I bought a largely unused US-spec steering column a while ago but it's too short, so I left it sitting around. In the last couple of weeks I got a steering column out of a wrecked 2001 car, hoping that it would be good. While it's not much better than the one in my car, I think I can make one good unit from the two I have.
Here is a pic of the US and Australian items sitting side by side. The Australian one is longer, and it's the bottom half that is longer, and coincidentally that part of the column is still good - so I should be able to get the good top half from the US one and get it pressed onto the go Australian bottom half.

FYI for you Australian Cobra owners out there....

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 12:19:04 pm »
Hi Steve, yes - an Aussie car. Wrecked in Ballarat from memory, a red convertible. If you look on ebay Australia, for an advert for a gearbox, that is the guy who is wrecking the car.

My Cobra is off having the tune played with at the moment, waiting to hear back from them about when it will be finished. It's horrific when it's mis-firing, but once warmed up and cleared out, it's a whole new ball-game

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 07:15:57 am »
ok - turned out to be one of the oxygen sensors. The heater element was U/S and during warm up, the non-working heater would mean the O2 sensor wasn't reporting correctly, so the ECU would richen up the mixture on one bank to compensate, making it run like crap until the exhaust gases would warm up the sensor enough to make it work ok.

New 02 sensors and it's all good, a couple of other tweaks tot he exhaust and we're off to the races. Figuratively speaking anyway..

Offline Giffo

• Worked
  • LIFE IS A MUSTANG
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 12:10:03 pm »
Bloody O2 sensors. Root of all evil on cars. Think we only have 2 of them compared to USA Cobras.
Good luck at the strip..... Videos and pics please...... So jealous....

:cry: