Oil change

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Oil change  (Read 9494 times)

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
  • Name: Tim
Oil change
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:59:56 pm »
Whilst I see oil change'' has been mentioned in the forum I could not find an answer to my question, hence starting this thread.

My GT convertible will arrive in a few months.  As noted in the forum, changing oil and new filters are great insurance.  I anticipate changing oil and filter every 7,500 km (I expect to do 35,000 km per annum).  Ford dealer said this would be an A service and I should expect to pay circa $380-$400, in part because the oil cost is about $220.

Does that sound right?

Grateful advice.

Offline Scott66

• Worked
  • 66 GT Coupe
Re: Oil change
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:53 pm »
If the dealer is trying to charge $220 for oil find another dealer!
Better yet ask what the minimum oil specification is for the car and go and buy it yourself and pocket the $100 plus that you will save!
Ideally you want to stick to the one brand/type oil for the life of the car, dealers can and will chop and change depending on what bulk oil they can get cheaper.
$220 is a blatant rip off nothing more nothing less

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:14 pm »
Thanks. 

I kind of thought that.

The only Ford dealer in my area which I would need to use for service is NOT the dealer I am buying the car from, and this type of put on is the reason why!

Think I'll talk to my local country mechanic - he should be able to change oil and filter and stamp the book without warranty issues.  He will be less expensive.

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:56:30 am »
My long time mechanic charged $100. Buy the genuine Ford oil filter for warranty purposes.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 08:55:42 am »
in part because the oil cost is about $220.

That has got to be an incredible mark up over what you would pay at Supersheap or Repco.

Oh, Ford recommends 5w-20 oil.....

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:05:09 pm »
Spoke to the dealer I am buying from.  They also said about $380 because a normal B service (15,000 km) is about $420 and all they do there is change oil and filter plus plug in the computer diagnostics.

So I though I'd check out the price of oil.

My dealer says Ford has stipulated for GT Mustang Castrol Magnatech Professional 5W20.  I could not find that on a retail sight so I called Castrol.  They said 5W20 is not available in Australia so Ford has authorized Castrol to substitute that with Castrol Magnatech Professional A55W30.  Can be purchased in bulk:
20 lt code 3369740 $139.26 plus GST
205 lt code 3374636 $1,343.57 plus GST
These prices for cash and delivery is mandatory, included free for purchases over $500.

Castrol tech guys said A55W30 is high quality.  Excellent for cold starts - no need for any extensive warm up even in winter (I live near Canberra).  When I described my driving - 35,000 km per annum 80% + on highway and expressway (little stop / start) he suggested I did not need to change oil each 7,500 km as the high quality of the oil coupled with my driving profile meant there was no need - would not hurt but unnecessary expense.

So, who knows how much oil goes into a GT?

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 09:32:27 pm »
7.6L according to the SuperCheap Auto Car Selection guide - I have found this tool useful when servicing my cars recently.  Gives lots of options on parts (expensive and cheap - but not necessarily OEM).

You can check it out at http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/ - the selection option is just under the Search Bar.

N.B. Their recommendation for oil is Penrite Full Synthetic, SAE 5W-30, API SL, ACEA A5/B5, FORD M2C913-C/D (Note the Ford reference).

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 06:58:05 pm »
Had my Territory serviced today.  Spoke to the head of the service department about my research on oil for Mustang.  I noted that marking up the oil by a factor of at least 4 on the retail price (Ford would get it cheaper still) was a bit rich. He shrugged (knowingly) and said that the matter has been raised with Ford HQ, but the reality is that servicing is the cash cow with the big stick of warranty keeping the punters coming in.

I am going to look at other options, like local mechanic, to see what can be done whilst maintaining the warranty.  Whilst I can afford factory service I just hate being ripped off.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:12 pm »
Whilst I can afford factory service I just hate being ripped off.

Yep, it's a really ugly feeling. Had that years ago with a 2002 Calais - always went to Holden for service until they wanted to charge me $400 to s&f brake pads. I almost fell over - it eventually cost me something like $112 elsewhere, and then cost Holden another $5k or so in scheduled services over the rest of the life of the car that were performed elsewhere.

If you look around you should find a fair number of servicing options that keep your warranty intact.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed

Offline davidald

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 11:48:40 pm »
Service by any "qualified" mechanic will not void warranty. Be careful though if you never go to a dealer you can come unstuck ref some software updates. Make sure the dealer resets the oil reminder pre delivery.

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 10:07:15 am »
Have just clocked up 30,000 km in 11 months.  Oil light came on at about 14,500 and recently at about 28,500 so I am getting close to 15,000 km intervals.  I note that I do mostly highway / expressway driving (80%).  I know people in urban daily driving routines getting circa 9,000 oil change alert.

Runs like a clock.  Love the car.

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 02:08:55 pm »
Just turned over 40,000 km (mostly highway / expressway) so anticipate the warning light will appear at about 43,000 km which will be about 18 months of running.

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 09:27:57 am »
Down to 1 percent oil life and at about 8500’k.

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 12:43:31 pm »
Third oil change just flagged at 43,080 km so close to the 'regular' 15,000 km cycle that might be anticipated.  For me that has been 16 months of driving. 

Still loving it!

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 08:34:50 am »
Oil change and service went fine. 

No problems found by the technicians (though the soft top hinges have squeaked a few times but would not perform for the technicians!). 

I have not had a problem with the car - it has run fine out of the box.  I was happy to see the OEM Pirellis go - the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s I bought are noticeably better performers and are wearing better (26k out of the Pirellis, at 17K on the Michelins I expect will run to about 35K).

Offline JasonK

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 03:52:21 pm »
 :agree: Particularly re PZero's.....