Buying In the mighty USA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Buying In the mighty USA  (Read 7287 times)

Offline jaykay

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: john
Buying In the mighty USA
« on: September 11, 2016, 11:11:52 pm »
 If I buy a car in the States , I can get and do the inspection etc.

What paper work do I need . In Aussie I can do a Revs check to make sure of no finance owing , is there an equivalent in the States?

Thanks to Birdman who mentioned I will need import papers and check these. How do I get these.
I know this is second nature to many but I would appreciate any advice you cane give.
thanks Jay Kay

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Re: Buying In the mighty USA
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:27:19 am »
There's a subforum dedicated to importing, buying in the USA, etc., this is where you should've posted this thread.

;)

Have a browse, you'll probably find answers to your question here:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/board,28.0.html

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:03:38 am »
jaykay are you talking buying from the USA from here or going over yourself ?  . To tell you the truth I would not buy unless I went over myself even tho plenty of people have bought from here . It's a 50/50 chance which I'm not willing to take . I have herd some horror stories and seen some horror cars that have come in . If you find a car your keen on you have to get the vin number and get the import approval 1st ,even before you buy the car or take the risk it will be ok ,if not its your loss . Then if ok contact a shipper and most cars are better off leaving from CA .  In most states the owner will have the title and if they don't walk away .  Depending what state you are buying from they have car inspection companies (google them) . Risky thing to do unless you can see and touch the car .

Offline jaykay

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 08:26:06 pm »
Thanks Glen , yes the Horror stories have put me off a no see purchase. I travel there now and again and the difficulty is when one is available and Im there.
There is no way I will ever send anyone money , like some of the Ebay US sales, where you can't see it and get under it .
 Yet have to give them all your money...hmmmm ....NO.
Thanks to this forum: the guy who tried to sell me a complete bomb , with no export/import papers asking approx 30K . I told him he would be lucky top get 5K for spare parts ....he has gone very quiet.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 09:03:44 pm »
What Glenn says is correct, however there are potential 'gotchas' even if you go over there to see/buy it in person. 

For instance, you are supposed to own the car before you apply for import approval (they want to see proof of ownership), so you would either have to stay in the US until approval was granted (can be 3-4 weeks) or otherwise pay for secure storage of the vehicle while you wait.  Leaving the car with the seller is an option, but then you're back in pretty much the same situation as if you'd bought the car online from Oz.  Plus as you pointed out, what are the chances of the perfect car just happening to come up for sale at the time you're over there? 

And what happens if import approval isn't granted for some reason?  I don't think there's many people who would be willing to cancel the sale and refund your money 3-4 weeks down the track.  The whole process is pretty dodgy IMHO regardless of whether or not you can see the car in person before buying.  While there are quite a few seasoned experts on here that could be relied upon to be able to spot a polished up rust bucket 99 times out of 100, you'd need to be pretty sure of yourself to take on that responsibility.

I reckon to give yourself the best chance of not ending up with a horror story, you need the following things at a minimum:

- A seller with whom you can establish a rapport
- A professional inspection service you can trust
- Good negotiating skills
- Attention to detail
- A reliable shipping company with a focus on customer service
- Being prepared to pay a little more for the right car

Keep in mind that vehicle titles are very important in the US and they are generally a requirement for export.  Some states do not issue titles for vehicles over a certain age but a good shipping agent can advise you what other arrangements can be made in those cases.  If the car does have a title, it must be 'clear' which means there is no security/finance interest ('lien' in US speak) in force.  If there is a lien showing on the title, the seller must provide you with written proof from the lien holder that it has been discharged.

Also factor in the exchange rate and shipping/import costs when looking at US cars.  Something that sounds very reasonable in US dollars will quickly blow out to close to double that figure in Aussie dollars once you pay for trucking, ocean freight, marine insurance, customs charges, GST, engineer cert, headlights, seatbelts, etc. etc.

In spite of all that, it can be a very rewarding and satisfying experience to import your very own 'stang rather than just pick up one that's already here like buying any other used car.  I have done two so far (and looking at a third) and while there have been a few surprises and ups and downs along the way, I'm happy to have taken the plunge.

Good hunting!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:24:24 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 10:07:29 pm »
What model are you looking for?

Offline jaykay

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 09:14:57 am »
67 or 68 fastback,  , 289 is fine. Better if has A/C , Power steer and discs although I know i can get all these after. Prefer an Auto but Manual okay.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 10:00:14 am »
Keep looking here in Australia .

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:31:53 am »
67 or 68 fastback,  , 289 is fine. Better if has A/C , Power steer and discs although I know i can get all these after. Prefer an Auto but Manual okay.

I have been window shopping online for a similar spec for a few months now.  You will be doing well to find a straight, solid car for less than $30K USD and most likely it will be missing one or more of your requirements.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 05:45:38 pm »
yup!