HD timing chains engine builders advice needed

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: HD timing chains engine builders advice needed  (Read 3011 times)

Offline skip70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
HD timing chains engine builders advice needed
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:27:52 pm »
Has anyone used a FMS HY-VO timing chain on any of their high performance builds? Wondering if the extra cost (which is substantial) buys accuracy for longer over the conventional chains? Are they worth the extra coin in your view? Thanks.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: HD timing chains engine builders advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:32:46 pm »
exactly what do you mean by high perf?

the rollmaster red label is very good . . you can also get it with both gears nitrided and a torrington bearing.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:58:48 pm »
Roller master By Romac is all you need

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:00:26 pm »
When you inspect the chain (closely as it can be quite faint) make sure it is stamped on the links (rather than a generic roller chain). JWIS/IWIS is a German OEM chain manufacturer and a lot of the higher end products utilize this product (including Rollmaster) with their own billet sprockets. There are other roller chain manufacturers which make good quality chain but IWIS/JWIS are quite dominant.

Depending on what brand you choose you shouldn't have to spend over $150 US to get a torrington bearing setup with steel billet gears and a quality branded chain. NB: Torrington bearing setups will require a countersunk camshaft thrustplate which is another 20 - 30$.

For example:

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/rollmaster-timing-set-sb-ford-race-cs3071/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:06:26 pm by trav68 »

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:25:09 pm »
I do not see any advantage in spending 500$ US on a chain.

I am running the Roller Master Torrington Bearing chain (as shown by Trav) in my Mustang
having said that for 70$ US you can get an SA Gear chain with the Torrington bearing. I
see no reason not to consider it. 

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g6620-b/overview/

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:51:57 pm by boofhead »

Offline skip70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:52:37 pm »
Guys, thanks for the good recommendations and links, much appreciated. To answer your question Barnett468, track only, 302 Windsor, roller cam, high rpm. Still would like to know what makes the HY -VO chain so expensive and is related to function/reliability or marketing etc?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:15:29 am »
To answer your question Barnett468, track only, 302 Windsor, roller cam, high rpm. Still would like to know what makes the HY -VO chain so expensive and is related to function/reliability or marketing etc?

Ok got yeah . . its a bit hard to tell due to the indredible lack of info other than i can tell you that the chain itself is incredibly strong [overkill] and incredibly complicated to make which drives the cost up, plus they mention the name 'ROUSH' in the add which adds around $200.00 usd to the cost.  :lmao:

I would suggest that you drill around a .35 or .5 mm hole in both galley plugs . . this can increase the life of the distributor gears and timing chain set.

let us know what distributor and distributor gear you have also.

the last guy that ran a bronze gear actually had it end up breaking the distributor and cam gear and also seemed to cause momma cass to choke on what was at first believed to be a chicken bone but ended up being a ham and cheese sandwhich when the real prob was a heart attack caused by the instant flood of excess cholesterol into her body caused by the ham sandwhich because i wasn't "Kosher.