Cheap headers in Sydney

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Cheap headers in Sydney  (Read 5743 times)

Offline thruster

• Worked
  • Name: John.
Cheap headers in Sydney
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »
Hi all,
 I was browsing the old EBay and found a seller in Hornsby that has a set of headers that are fully polished stainless steel, with 1-5/8 primary's and a 3inch collector,10mm flange with 1.25mm tubes, comes with manifold gaskets flange bolts and head bolts, I spoke to the chap and he said that he scanned a set of Patriot H8433 shorty's from the states and reproduced them here, so what I'm asking is has anyone bought his headers or bought Patriot H8433 shorty's ? as these are only selling for $249!  just seems to be too good to be true ,the only thing that concern's me is that it says that for a 66 model I need to use late model engine mounts that raise the motor 1 inch ? any feed back would be great  :thumb:

Cheers John.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Cheap headers in Sydney
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:41 pm »
They look very much the same as the JBA shorties I have on my '66, which went on perfectly. The only thing I would say is that the bolts around cyl 7 are really hard to get installed. I put the LHD side on the engine before it went in the car and I really don't think you could do it with the engine in the car.

These came with the same rider about needing late '66 or later mounts, not '64, 65 or early 66 ones. I dunno what the cut off point for early 66 is but mine is data plated April 66 and has the higher mounts, although I could not be sure a PO hasn't replaced them.

I can't tell from your photo what year your car is, if you're looking at putting on that, but even if you do have to change the mounts it seems like a good deal. My JBA's certainly cost more than that.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:58:15 pm »
Thruster I would go the Hedmans.  :therethere: Tried and tested by our illustrious bass player griff.  :grin:
Slipped straight in from the top. No engine mounts swap either.
Start saving your pennies though.  :kickass:

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:02:33 pm »
well in the light of what birdman just said, still they sound fine john, and at only $249 thats just shy of a night out on the turps for you at penriff bowlo isnt it? :lol:
if theres issues bolting them up as per what geoff said i dont know why header manufacturers cant get it right after all these years forsucksfake. my shortys dropped in from the top and bolted up easy without moving anything out of the way.
anyhow its nothing that cant be fixed with an oxy and a 'knockometer' :smash:
playing bass at penriff clubs over the years.... ah yes long lasting mammories er memories..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:04:37 pm by griff »
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:11 pm »
 Thanks for the feed back gentlemen, Geoff mine is a January 1966 model, I cant remember from looking at your car Greg, do you have air and power on yours, he also does a tri Y set with same specs and same price, I also like the idea of them being stainless and I'm not sure but I may already have the taller mounts ,wish I could find a way to tell, I just spoke to an exhaust fellow today and he said that I wont notice a very big difference in power increase with shorty's and also that it will cost an extra $100 to run a new system up to them :thud:

cheers John. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:43:22 pm by thruster »

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:43 pm »
yes john ive got air and power steer, beauty of shortys is your engine pipes can be made to avoid all the nasty stuff in the way. and yes, unfortunately youll have to keep the wallet open for 'additional' work as deemed necessary. thats what youll have to tell the bride anyhow mate....

bron= :toetapping:

thruster= :cry:
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:01:18 pm »
That's what we tell our brides anyway, Griff!  :grin:

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:12 pm »
Try to get hold of extractor bolts with the smaller 3/8" heads instead of the normal 7/16" heads. It does help slightly with clearance for the spanners.

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:11 am »
yes john ive got air and power steer, beauty of shortys is your engine pipes can be made to avoid all the nasty stuff in the way. and yes, unfortunately youll have to keep the wallet open for 'additional' work as deemed necessary. thats what youll have to tell the bride anyhow mate....

bron= :toetapping:

thruster= :cry:

OMG! you hit it right on the head mate .......I mean Bron :toetapping: also  :nono: and me  :cry:  as well as  :bow:   :grin:

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:06:59 am »
My JBA shorties slip in from the top no problem, it's just getting to the bolts around cyl 7 is pretty tricky. They are 3/8" bolts. The installation instructions laughably tell you to put a torque wrench on them. What a joke! But they're in and don't leak so I'm happy. No idea what effect they have on power and torque but the new engine probably has twice the power of the very tired leaky old 289 plus I put a manual in place of the C4 at the same time so lost the auto slippage and it feels like a rocket compared to how it used to be.

My car has air but no PS. I had some long tube Hookers on the old motor and was always having ground clearance issues which was my major reason for going with shorties. I did have to spend a little bit more at the exhaust place to get the rest of the system connected up to these headers.

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
Are you Syd based Geoff ?

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 10:08:31 am »
Sorry John, Melbourne.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:44 am »
Use allan key bolts for extractors to solve hex head spanner clearance problems.

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 12:16:42 pm »

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 12:17:37 pm »
Good idea 66 Red  :thumb:

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »
hi thruster

I see your in Penrith have you been to see wayne at extreme exhaust near kmart mustang owner and ex vp of the club good bloke
cheers tim
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline thruster

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 04:19:38 pm »
A mate of mine just suggested the same thing this morning, I think I will pay him a visit  :thumb: