P/steer pump blows out dipstick

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: P/steer pump blows out dipstick  (Read 6062 times)

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
P/steer pump blows out dipstick
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:08:12 pm »
I have a rebuilt pump from CHOKOSTANG new slave cylinder and hoses from CJs and apparently the control valve was replaced by the previous owner.
With both the new and the old pumps the dipstick gets blown/forced out whilst driving.
I have now lost my 3rd dipstick and have a puddle of power steering fluid under my car again.
Can anybody tell me why this is happening and how to fix it. I am running a 347 Windsor that turns to 6500 rpm with ease, are the rpms to high with the stock pump and pulley.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Rodney
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: P/steer pump blows out dipstick
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »
Easy fix ,only rev it to 4,500 rpm . :lmao: :lmao:

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:08:39 pm »
Are you using power steering fluid and not trans fluid .Go talk to Paul at gold coast power steering at ashmore ,he is in our club now .

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:48:26 am »
Rebuilt pumps get hotter and can dump fluid out of the reservoir. I found it concerning when my pump did it but eventually I left it until it found its own 'happy' volume and stopped dripping. Normally dipsticks don't jump out but it could happen if its a loose fitting one. My guess is that if high engine revs was a problem, you would see it as more sensitive steering and aeration of the fluid. In that case, you can resize the pulley.

Also, check the numbers on yout replacement valve parts as you might have something that's not compatible and that's giving you grief. The StrangerSite website on Mustang steering has all the releveant codes.

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:54:45 am »
I am rebuilding my  reconditioned ps pump from chokostang that only did 3000klm at the very moment. :thumbdown: The pump seized on me last weekend. I pulled it apart to find one of the slippers in the cam had a collapsed spring.
Try this link for more info. http://www.fordification.com/library/main.php?g2_itemId=1113

Cheers
Raven

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:12:27 am »
Thanks guys,
I had Paul from Gold Coast Power Steering look at it on Thursday afternoon and he feels that the front seal on the pump has gone and the pump is sucking in air and aerating the fluidand then when the stang is turned off the air is forcing the fluid out of the dipstick pushing the dipstick up and out which makes sense as every time I have lost the dipstick I have a puddle of fluid under the pump on the floor.
I don't have a lot of confidence in CHOKOSTANG at the moment.

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 11:12:38 am »
Rebuilt pumps get hotter

... huh?  Nonsense.  If built properly its basically the same as from the factory, why would it run "hotter".   

What fluid are you using? Anything but Type F in an OEM build will void most warranties and can damage the pump.

Did you contact Dan at Chockosatang?  Long time member of the Mustang community and has a pretty good reputation.
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »
... huh?  Nonsense.  If built properly its basically the same as from the factory, why would it run "hotter".   

What fluid are you using? Anything but Type F in an OEM build will void most warranties and can damage the pump.

Did you contact Dan at Chockosatang?  Long time member of the Mustang community and has a pretty good reputation.

I am using type F fluid.
My original pump had damage to the casting and also how the dipstick out of the pump.
I ordered the next pump through Christian at Gold Coast Classic Mustangs after he advised buying through CHOKOSTANG as they are the correct 69 color and they pay attention to detail. Christian was ordering a pump in for his personal 67 Mustang so I got him to order more in at the same time and we just split the freight.  This pump did not work from when it first went into the car and Christian contacted CHOKOSTANG who agreed to replace the pump but I had to pay the freight,  Christian lent me his original pump out of his 67 until the next one arrived and when it did arrive at Christians shop it sat there for a little while as we had to pull the pulley of the first pump and fit it to the second pump and as he was not charging me and I had a good working pump in my car I was in no hurry.
Fitted the second pump and have now got the same issue as the original one but worse.

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 01:33:46 pm »
Its not a gm pump is it, when i put a later model pump in my 66 i was told to be careful that i didnt get a gm pump.
apparently they look/mount the same but run higher pressure.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 01:46:04 pm »
If you have a look through this pump manual, you will see there is a lot that can go wrong with these pumps. Its better to get a local pump expert to go through it for you.

http://www.mustangtek.com/Library6/PDF/Vol-69-S2-L2A_Book-3002.pdf

Takes a while to load.

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 06:27:49 pm »
As you see the same problem with two pumps, it may be the control valve or ram.  Have these been serviced or tested?  All hoses are clear and unobstructed....???
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:22:28 pm »
My Mistake. When I have had pumps rebuilt (66's and 67's) I have always had the campack (and springs) replaced with 'new' stock. With internal clearances closer to original, the pumps run hotter than if you just replace the seals on an old pump.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
If all was good when you borrowed the 67 pump then it means there is a problem with both the pumps you have bought.