New website forum

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New website forum  (Read 20911 times)

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
New website forum
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:39:19 pm »
I've had this website. I'm like a lot of other older members who are not very computer literate. It's nowhere as easy to use as the old one was. I just give up in frustration. posts disappear ,can't find an easy way to reply to posts. And you've got to wander all over the place to find things. Needs to be made simpler.
Stormin

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: New website forum
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:09:23 pm »
 I am a computer dummy but dont seem to have many problems except i dont know to put a photo of my cars up .   :ouch:

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »
Stormin,

Not sure what is really frustrating you..... but I do find it a little annoying that this site should have a better today's post section.

The one that is displayed at the bottom of the sub section group page is just way too cluttered and hard to follow. especially if you just want to keep on top of what everyone has to say each day......maybe the Admin guys can take that on board and do something about it ?

That being said,  I was recently on the Mustang Club of America site recently - what a shit fight that site is ......You actually have to pay to become a member to use that site ......I was able to post up a few threads until they realized I hadn't paid ...but after using it there's no way l would bother to pay.

The fact is today there are many options, I recently also found a couple of good AUS forums on US muscle cars - one only has to look.

:smilies:

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:02:59 pm »
I find the 'Show unread posts since last visit' really easy to use (much easier than other forums to keep up with posts).

However, yes - posting pictures is a bit convoluted and took me a while to work out the best way - and I'm an IT Manager!  There definitely needs to be something sorted to make that easier for normal people.  Using Flickr or Photobucket is the way to go (CPU will say space on the server is an issue, quite rightly).

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »
(CPU will say space on the server is an issue, quite rightly).

Typical I.S people...HELLO....we are in a technology world, get more space guys, your gunna need it, :grin: :grin:

I agree, the "show new posts" function is great, thats all I ever use usually.

CPU

CPU
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10:51 pm »
I've had this website. I'm like a lot of other older members who are not very computer literate. It's nowhere as easy to use as the old one was. I just give up in frustration. posts disappear ,can't find an easy way to reply to posts. And you've got to wander all over the place to find things. Needs to be made simpler.
Stormin

Hi stormin.  I assume you are talking about the forum and not the new websites, yes?

What posts have disappeared?

In relation to 'can't find an easy way to reply to posts', can you give us some more information/examples please?  You do have a few options.  Use the quick reply, if you have it turned on in your settings, the quote button on each and every post or the reply button at the top and bottom of every thread.

Not sure why you have to wander all over the place to find things.  As far as topics etc go, they are all exactly in the same place as they were on the other forum.  Can you give us some example please?

Yes HAPPY ONE the 'today's posts' was a nice feature.  We had to bite the bullet and go to new software as the old xmb, while nice and simple, was no longer supported and security was becoming an issue as well as spammers.  One of the sacrifices was the today's post feature.  Alas there is nothing we can do about it.  As scollist pointed out 'Show unread posts since last visit' is the closest thing to 'today's posts.'  One of the things I personally do is subscribe automatically to each thread I post in.  That way I get an automated email when anybody replies in that thread and in said email there is a copy of the post so I don't even have to come to the forum to read it, unless I want to reply. In that case there is a link in the email that when I click on it it takes me directly to the post. You can also subscribe to any thread even if you have not posted in it, (Use The NOTIFY button at the top and bottom of each thread)

GLENN 70 you can use the attachment feature for images but yes we have had to limit the file size of each picture to keep server space to a manageable size and not blow our quota.    (Thanks for understanding scollist)   Best option with pictures is to open a Photobucket type account and link the pictures here using the img tags.  If you get stuck GLENN 70 with pics, email them to me and I'll get them up for you.

There are many features in this forum that make using it quite easy.  Many of them can be turned on and off in your profile. If any of you need help or are unsure where to find/use the features of the forum please do not hesitate to contact me.  I'll do what ever I can to help. 

Please note that this is not the only site we administrate and we are not in front of the screens 24/7, although some people close to me beg to differ lol, so we may not reply straight away, but we always will.  Weekends is the worse time for support for obvious reasons

Kind Regards
CPU
:hi:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:17:22 pm by CPU »

CPU

CPU
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:02 pm »
Typical I.S people...HELLO....we are in a technology world, get more space guys, your gunna need it, :grin: :grin:

:lol:

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:14:14 pm »
So you are on here 24/7 CPU, your not missing much,

Keep up the good work, love your humour

CPU

CPU
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:15:57 pm »
Thanks  :thumb:

All car buffs have a great sense of humour, plus you need it in this game.  :grin:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 08:53:35 am »
this site should have a better today's post section.

This is what I do:

Copy this link:

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php?action=unread

into your bookmarks.

Click on the bookmark icon to access the forum.

As for posting pics, it's best to use photobucket or facebook and just copy the URL's straight into the pop up that appears when you click the picture icon in the reply page.

Facebook however change their links after so many months so photobucket is better for longevity.

s

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 09:40:02 am »
Thanks  :thumb:

All car buffs have a great sense of humour, plus you need it to drive a chevrolet.  :grin:
  :therethere:
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 06:13:50 pm »
Righto
I just pressed the reply button to make this,but if I want to make a reply on a certain post where do I go . There is no reply tab at the bottom of each post like there used to be .
I put a post on Bosshogg's posting   "I'm Back" on May 4 . Saw it come up but next time I went there was no sign of it.
I've also put posts up and they have gone to the particular section and not to todays posts. If you want to follow something you have put up you used to be able to go to days posts and follow back for a couple of days no worries .
You've got to remember us older guys missed the techo revolution and have trouble following all the strange language and signs that appear.
As for photos . Press  this, press that , Forget it .That's why I've never put any up and have to get someone else to do it for me.
Stormin

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 06:32:22 pm »
OKAY
I just posted the above post. It's gone to general chat where it's listing but has not gone to the unread posts section. Someone goes to unread posts ,as someone who drops in regularly as I used to .where its not listed and doesn't get to see it.
Stormin

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 06:46:35 pm »
OKAY
I just posted the above post. It's gone to general chat where it's listing but has not gone to the unread posts section. Someone goes to unread posts ,as someone who drops in regularly as I used to .where its not listed and doesn't get to see it.
Stormin

That will be because it is not unread by you, you have read it. It is recognising your IP address as having read the post so no longer tells you that it is a new post. But it WILL tell everyone else that it is new until they click on the link and then read it themselves.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:21:57 pm by Ash »
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 07:17:41 pm »
Was a lot easier the old way.Just straight up .No chasing back and forth. I was able to press the reply to you but if I wanted to reply to anearlier post there's no reply tab on the earlier posts.
Stormin
Stormin

CPU

CPU
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:55:28 pm »
Was a lot easier the old way.Just straight up .No chasing back and forth. I was able to press the reply to you but if I wanted to reply to anearlier post there's no reply tab on the earlier posts.
Stormin
Stormin

True.  The quote button, as I've used here, which is if you think about it, what should be used to reply to a post in the middle of the thread so people know who you are replying to.

CPU

CPU
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 07:00:26 pm »
All car buffs have a great sense of humour, plus you need it to drive a chevrolet.

:therethere:

You'll get yours  :kickass: :smile01:

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 08:22:56 pm »
Stormin does raise a good point re "unread posts since last visit", I always click the unread posts, so I can read the latest posts, today however I went into the forum and clicked through the general chat and mustang pages, and to my suprise there were quite a few posts saying "new" and unread, but when I hit the "unread posts since last visit", the unread posts was empty, yet usually the "unread posts" if I havent read for a few days, will list 2-3 pages of posts.

So how is it that posts dont come up in unread posts since last visit, yet they are there if you manually click through the pages?

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:56 pm »
I tried that quotes bit last week. Thought that may have been the way but the post still didn't go up . I guess I'm just a dummy after all.
Stormin

CPU

CPU
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 08:39:18 pm »
How do ya mean the "post still didn't go up"?

CPU

CPU
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 08:39:51 pm »
Stormin does raise a good point re "unread posts since last visit", I always click the unread posts, so I can read the latest posts, today however I went into the forum and clicked through the general chat and mustang pages, and to my suprise there were quite a few posts saying "new" and unread, but when I hit the "unread posts since last visit", the unread posts was empty, yet usually the "unread posts" if I havent read for a few days, will list 2-3 pages of posts.

So how is it that posts dont come up in unread posts since last visit, yet they are there if you manually click through the pages?

Think it's to do with if you log out and log back in and your session has closed off in the allotted time.  Will have to investigate to be sure

CPU

CPU
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:29 pm »
Please also note that the system only up dates what is unread as you change from screen to screen.  Also if you use your back button on you web browser you are not looking at the latest information.

There is also an unread post button for each section on the right had side for each section if you only want to see what is unread for that particular section

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 11:22:49 pm »
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 11:39:30 am »
I used the quote icon and replied to a post on the All American Day at The Entrance and have not been able to find it on the forum anywhere. If I've done something wrong it's because it's just not as simple as it used to be.
Stormin

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 12:41:30 pm »
I must admit I am also on here a few times each day but would have to say the old layout was way easier to use for me. Probably just me, but interested to see others also have similar concerns.
I am now used to this one but can't seem to do as much, as easily as before.  :thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!