67 Fuel tank pick up

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 67 Fuel tank pick up  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Lesc67

• Stallion
  • Enjoying the Drive
67 Fuel tank pick up
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:54 pm »
 Took a trip up to the Entrance today to see a mate. Topped up the tank and off we tripped, cruised a little up there, had lunch and headed home. About 1k from home there was a little cough and then no go! Out of fuel! :thud: Only 180 miles, by my previous Cal's we should have gotten close to 280 to 300. Put 5 Litres in and went and filled up at the local servo where the car only took another 37 litre which means there was still about 18 litres or 4.5 gallons still in the tank.
Can the pick up be put in incorrectly or is it possible the the wrong pick up be in the tank?

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
Re: 67 Fuel tank pick up
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:30:38 am »
The pick-up has the sender unit attached so if it was installed incorrectly the fuel gauge wouldn't work properly. Also, I think that it can only go one way so that's not likely to be the problem.

So its likely to be the incorrect sender or the pick-up has been modified or damaged. The end of the pick-up could have even broken off through corrosion. The only real way is to remove it and have a look. Fortunately, the tank has a drain plug, so its a relatively simple process of draining the fuel and removing the sender to have a look. Its also a good opportunity to inspect the tank for residues as that stuff invaribly gets sucked into the carby when you let the fuel run low and it will leave you stranded when you least want it to.

Later model Mustangs and Fords had a larger capacity fuel tank and so may have used a different sender unit. Your car might have aquired one of these.

I also know that Mustangs have fuel pick-up problems when going round corners very fast. This might have been your problem as well!
Brad.

Offline Lesc67

• Stallion
  • Enjoying the Drive
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »
Thank Rocket, the fuel gauge only shows 1/2 when full and the car has a new fuel tank. So I'm thinking that the pick up and float unit is wrong or been altered when fitted.
Off :bolt: to find a new one   

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 08:42:14 pm »
Sometimes the float gets a pinhole in it and that causes big problems .