Roll On Roll Off Shipping damage - just had to share ...

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Roll On Roll Off Shipping damage - just had to share ...  (Read 27335 times)

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
Re: Roll On Roll Off Shipping damage - just had to share ...
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 11:25:16 pm »
I've heard plenty of bad stories on RORO. The pic in the post showing a Fairmont against the side of the container shows by the tie down straps that it has been packed by amateurs. I've personally brought six containerised cars in separate shipments from Long Beach to Brisbane and they were packed by pros (packed four cars in 40' container configuration) and none ever moved. I wouldn't ship any other way.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:41:26 pm by Pedro »

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 11:53:17 pm »
If you really want a bit more peace of mind, most major shippers offer the option of a single 20' container just for your car - much more expensive of course...

Still the container can be always be lost/damaged in rough seas so there are no guarantees.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:42 am »
The fairmont gt  isn't restrained properly. It needs way more lateral restraint, i.e. straps running sideways. I do this kind of work for the Air Force and the restraint I see on trucks etc makes me cringe.
67 Convertible

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 05:27:38 pm »
Have you ever been in a port and watched the RORO guys loading/unloading cars? The pace they are required to go at is quite something. Meaning they don't have time to muck about babying someone's pride and joy, modern or classic.
Any much loved car of mine would always be shipped in a container, packed by professionals, thankyou very much.

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 09:12:18 pm »
thanks guys - have a car on the water now (container), so on top of the bloody wait I now have more worries :(

Don't worry Greg - Container is safe!!!  My car went from Sydney to Mauritius via Singapore and Malaysia where it was dis-embarked and re-embarked each time!

If you have patience you can track your container or Vessel live !

First opening of my container back here in Mauritius!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:22:54 am by peterp »

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 10:41:36 am »
Don't worry Greg - Container is safe!!!  My car went from Sydney to Mauritius via Singapore and Malaysia where it was dis-embarked and re-embarked each time!

Amaury - great to see she arrived safe and sound, after all the dramas we have been through with our dodgy mate we need some good news

Mine is insured and on the water now, not too stressed but yep, it is the wait that is the pain

So is the 67 registered and terrorising the locals yet :)

cheers

greg

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 10:46:38 am »
Don't worry Greg - Container is safe!!!

Yeah, mine arrived safely on a container too. There's risk with every form of transportation and you weigh up which way you want to go and there's also insurance if you want peace of mind but you can also get screwed there too.

s

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 12:32:59 am »
Amaury - great to see she arrived safe and sound, after all the dramas we have been through with our dodgy mate we need some good news

Mine is insured and on the water now, not too stressed but yep, it is the wait that is the pain

So is the 67 registered and terrorising the locals yet :)

cheers

greg

Greg, not yet registered as I am fixing a few things that our doggy mate left as a surprise for me - like the fuel tank which looked new from the outside but the inside was full of crap...rust falling appart!! Ordering a new tank!

Check these photos - not sure if it is the orignal fuel tank which has been repainted on the outside but inside is a rust bucket!

Will tell more about my story when I have some time!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:21:54 am by peterp »

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 08:15:38 am »
I am a fan of RO/RO and have shipped my car 3 times via this method. Only issue that I ever had was the second last time it was shipped, they left the ignition on and it killed the battery. I had to get jump started at the Port it arrived at and then I drove it straight out, filled up with fuel and did the 6 hour drive home (without shutting the engine off).
Marine insurance is a must, because I think there is always a roll of the dice no matter what way you ship.
I personally don't like how they pack containers and I have seen absolute horror stories there too.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 10:57:39 am »
I am a fan of RO/RO and have shipped my car 3 times via this method. Only issue that I ever had was the second last time it was shipped, they left the ignition on and it killed the battery. I had to get jump started at the Port it arrived at and then I drove it straight out, filled up with fuel and did the 6 hour drive home

How is this still possible in 2018?  Customs take their sweet time to arrange an inspection (up to a week lead time after the vehicle arrives) and typically the vehicle will not be held at the port for that length of time, so it's moved to a bonded warehouse somewhere in the surrounding 'burbs.  From there it will usually fail the first quarantine inspection (what a surprise!) so you have to wait another couple of days while it is cleaned and reinspected before you can pick it up.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 02:10:02 am »
the lure of saving a few bucks  :banghead: ................buy cheap , buy twice...hey

Well, since 99.9% of the roll on roll off vehicles never sustain that type of damage, it seems like a reasonable option. No point n condemning the person for trying to save some money since this is a fairly isolated incident and couldn't have possibly known something like this could happen.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 02:12:00 am »

People need to find the difference between Value and Cheap!

Ok then, so please explain to all of us just exactly how a novice or even others can do this in regards to shipping a car.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 02:15:36 am »
It would all depend on how rough the seas were at the time and advisable to get insurance either way.

It also depends where the container is located with the bottom center of the ship having the least amount of movement, but obviously one can not choose where on the ship their car will be placed.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 02:18:17 am »
The Cougar Ace was carrying a shipload of Mazdas.

On December 15, 2006, Mazda announced that all vehicles on the Cougar Ace would be scrapped.

Thank goodness for small miracles.  :lmao:

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 10:39:24 pm »

Wouldn't one place some sort of wheel blocks to stop it swaying side to side?  I can't see the straps working too well against any sideways force.

s

Those straps need to be crossed to give some lateral restraint. I work in aviation and when I see how things are restrained on trucks I'm amazed.
67 Convertible

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 12:02:42 am »
How is this still possible in 2018?  Customs take their sweet time to arrange an inspection (up to a week lead time after the vehicle arrives) and typically the vehicle will not be held at the port for that length of time, so it's moved to a bonded warehouse somewhere in the surrounding 'burbs.  From there it will usually fail the first quarantine inspection (what a surprise!) so you have to wait another couple of days while it is cleaned and reinspected before you can pick it up.
Shipping cars into the US seemed to be easier than Australia. Each time I shipped the car, the red tape was getting tougher.

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 08:58:05 pm »

Just read on Ausfish site 72 or 83 depending on news source , containers washed overboard from a container ship off port Stephens mid coast NSW  in recent bad weather , wonder if any had cars in them'.
1969 GT350H

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »
It happens a lot and sometimes they push them off when in bad weather .

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2018, 09:30:49 pm »

Yep , worked in the  :flag: merchant navy for nearly 20 yrs when younger ,   that happens
1969 GT350H

Offline davigg

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2018, 03:38:45 am »
I imported myself and I know of people who are importing via container all the time.

While many only use straps, nearly all container shippers now use wood and place blocks around the wheel to ensure it doesn't move. The only horror story I know are cars that get damaged during loading/unloading.

I also knew a guy who had his container fall off a ship and the marine line didn't reimburse anything, they actually went after him for the shipping charges!

And apparently there are other problems with shipping classics if they don't run and drive without an issue, see here: https://www.wcshipping.com/blog/shipping-classic-cars-container-vs-roro