Shermatt International- The good, The bad and the ugly

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Shermatt International- The good, The bad and the ugly  (Read 64879 times)

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:24:45 am »

There is always the down side of a business and you just can’t please everyone.

I have taken a few hours out of my day to inform everyone of the exceptional feedback we receive from our clients to the BS that you deal with along the way dealing with unrealistic or impatient people.

Throughout 2010 we have a had few people (that I can count on one hand) that were not happy with our service at which everyone only ever hears one side of a story and take it as gospel and then make posts using the information they have been told

This posting was emailed to me this morning from another forum member and I thought that I would respond coz Im kind of over it and I didn’t want to steal anyone’s thread with such a lengthy response

Quote from: 67Scotty link=topic=13782.msg141478#msg141478

Bit different from another member of this forum who is also a sponsor who has (allegedly) ripped off a couple of other members but still gets access.

Scott

I appreciate the fact that you have used the word "allegedly" as I have never spoken to you to give you my 2c and you have never contacted me

But, just so you know,(as Im not having a go at you) last year we did just under a 1000 cars to all over the world and I have a handful (all from Oz)of people that have issues . That’s a pretty good ratio as far as Im concerned.

out of that, one person wanted "ME" to build him a car...an Eleanor.....BUT, I was VERY busy and he was VERY impatient and ended up asking me to find someone to repair it and build it for him on a budget that not even you would get out bed for....actually....my 6 months of time spent sorting the car racing around getting photos from a place 1 hr away… was FREE and working with a budget of $20, it was not easy.

At no stage did I personally do ANY OF THE THINGS HE IS UPSET ABOUT

Now, just so you know, He bought this car from photographs that were sent to us from Virginia and the car was going to be shipped direct to Him "as is". WE DID NOT INSPECT THIS CAR as he didn’t want to waste money inspecting it.

Once it arrived he said could I get it done over here and I said I didn’t know ANYBODY that could repair it. He then went onto a tangent of an Eleanor and 2-3 days later I met a few guys that convinced me they were up to the job. I said to him"I" was going to build it (myself) but it would take me 6 months with my work load....he was too impatient and wanted the Mexicans to build it as they were cheaper.

I had NEVER USED them before and I NO LONGER DO.

The whole time, parts are already rolling up to my front door
If that car had been built by me, there wouldn’t be a story.
If I had charged him any money for the job, then I suppose you could also use the word "ripped off" aswell. The owner, never paid me a cent and I think the Mexicans only charged him $5,500 to do all the repairs/fit the kit and paint it. I cant even get a car painted for that over here.

Sure, there welding work wasn’t  up to what I call fantastic, but do you think Im going to spend another 6 months working for the buyer for FREE rectifying the problems while someone is sending you 10 emails a day asking whats going on/Ive bought this for you to fit/parts will be there tomorrow……….... HELL F@@KING NO

Im getting it bolted back together and you can finish it…Im
done!!

From the getgo I should of said NO. It was a PILE OF SHI7 when it rolled up and was a NIGHTMARE watching it come together with the Mexicans and how they built it. But with the funds the owner had (SFA) you cant really expect much. Yet, $1000 of dollars of parts rolling up daily.

If it were mine I would of stripped it down to its bare bones and blasted it and start from scratch (like I do to all of em)
I was so done with it in the end (working for FREE) that on the last few days when it had the final welding repairs done (EXTREMELY POORLY) I threw in the towel.

None of the people that judge me on that car would even get out of bed to do half of what I did little own do what the Mexicans did for $5000 and get the result YOU ALL TALK ABOUT.

If you want to judge me for trying to help, knock yourselves out. It was a bad call to use the Mexicans and not do the car myself but would you do it for FREE?????????????????

Quote from: davo65 link=topic=9983.msg141286#msg141286

Maybe it's time for the fine upstanding person who procured the car and so-called "restoration/restomod" for you to make a donation towards your new paint job, and in the process, restore some credibility. Apologies if he/she has already done the right thing by you.
davo65

Davo

That is not ever going to happen mate. If he would of listened to me in the first place and let me build it and there was a problem with it…. I would be the first one to step to the plate. You know it!! I have Paid for peoples shipping repairs/paint damage/lost parts, even when none of its our fault and the customer knows it. (its just going the extra distance)Those are all documented on the this forum and something we no longer do due to the nickel and dimer’s that you can keep reading below and see more

“Apologies if he/she has already done the right thing by you”

What is the “right thing” Dave?

I tell ya what, How about we look at it like this. You quit your job for 6months and I will send you a pile of shi7 and build one better with the budget I had but your not allowed to do any of the work yourself…or even better, why not quit your job and fly over to Tassie and finish it off for him coz that’s what hes waiting for, someone else to finish it for FREE….sort of sums it up for me.

The more he dribbles on the forums, the more emails I get saying things that I wish not to repeat on a forum as its not nice to hear.

I'm currently building 2 cars for clients in Australia and they are very patient people and one of those cars will be attending a few car shows over here that I will be bringing home a trophy for (hopefully) and I have already contacted a magazine to have it featured in a mustang mag. Im not ashamed of the work and quality “ I” do. I’m very proud to show it.

One of these cars was being built the same time as the Eleanor and as Im still building the car myself, and my personal guarantee to the owner is...way back then is

"that I will personally deliver the car (in Oz) and if there not happy with the end result, I will REFUND their money in FULL"

Can’t get any better than that.

Another one is a client that I had previously dealt with but after dealing with him for a few weeks, I REFUNDED his funds that he sent over as well as his refundable deposit and wiped my hands of the search for that client

He then found one up in woop woop and emailed for 3 weeks to go and inspect it and BUY IT...his exact words.(email)

I was not even in the slightest interested hence my "NOT" responding to his email for 3 weeks

He then called me on the phone on the 4th week and caught me on a good day at which I said I will go up there and look at the car, negotiate a price and BUY IT.

Car was advertised for $25,000, car had rust, I haggled the guy down to $22,500 due to the rust of which I paid the guy and VIDEOD the payment of which I do for ALL of our clients as well as the bill of sale. I do this one for customs at the other end in case they are queried about the purchase price but mainly for the client. Its piece of mind there "NOT GETTING RIPPED OFF"

I took photos of the under chassis and emailed them to him as well as made a call informing him of the rust as well as posted them on facebook. (FOR ALL TO SEE)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3621&id=100000476899783

Nothing to hide here

All of which (emails/photos/bank records) are recorded in his client folder

The car took 5 months waiting for a container going to WA. That’s definitely my fault. Allways is.

He has since decided to reshell the car rather than fix the areas as that is what works for him. Im sure it will be worth every cent of what he has spent once he has finished.

If he had given me the time to find him one that I found, and was patient, there would not be a story and he would be one of the 1000 without a problem

The other was a client that made a post on the forum in regards to the front brakes on his car had to have $2000 worth of work and all the ball joints were shagged and that he could poke his fingers through them. The car had no back up lamps and how could I miss that during the inspection etc etc.

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13154

He had found a restored 1965 "T" code convertible with a V8 in it on ebay that had ended a few days earlier. It was about an hour or two away and he wanted me to go and inspect the car and negotiate a price.

I contacted the seller and asked alot of questions and asked for additional photos of areas THAT I WANTED TO SEE, that were not posted on his ebay listing of areas that we all know are common faults on mustangs.

I do this as not to waste my time or the client’s money paying for an inspection on a car that I can all ready see or may be a problem

I asked the seller is there any areas of concern that he could make me aware of before I make the journey. He told me the brakes pull to left and were hard, of which I contacted the buyer and informed him of this. (so this was discussed even before inspection)

The car came up trumps in the photos and the decision to go and inspect and do the deal was made.

During the inspection (that I videoed for the buyer PRIOR HIM MAKING THE DECISION TO BUY IT 5 DAYS LATER) was mention to the brakes

one of the FIRST things that comes out of my mouth during the test drive was at 7minutes 16 seconds

"it pulls to the right" that was made by me but I actually meant LEFT (whatever….it pulls)

At 7 min 20 seconds, the seller recommends putting disc brakes on the car.

Video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fBinjMh64

At 8 min 43 seconds Im actually driving the car and the first thing I did was get some speed up, let go of the wheel and apply the brakes and state

"it doesnt pull to the left as much as I thought"

That comment is for the guy Im doing the inspection for
This was what we emphasized on as it was a big topic between the seller and the buyer and one main concern that had to be addressed.

At 5 min 6 seconds, you can clearly see all the upper and lower control arms, ball joints and steering where ALL NEW
The car was not purchased that day but all the videos were loaded so the buyer could see them prior him making the decision to buy.

Of which the buyer had viewed this car on ebay for the week long duration, seen it on video and would of noticed that there were NO BACK UP LAMPS (of which are OPTIONAL for that year). Knowing the guy was into mustangs and already owned a few others, this is something that I’m not going bring up as its common knowledge (obviously not)

He gave the go ahead and over 3 days I negotiated the price that we wanted it for. (of which we got) and I think I even funded the sale while the buyer sorted his end out
Car was delivered and transport was booked. Import approval taken care of same day.

"MY" transporter ended up getting stuck in Miami with electrical problems with his truck lights and was delayed 6-8 days getting the car picked up on its original pick up date.

The Buyer wanted me to cancel him (as he felt I was not doing my job properly and he needed the car their ASAP) and order another truck at which I declined as I know my transporter gets my cars in delivered in the same condition as they leave and has a good knowledge of mustangs himself. He ties the cars down properly without doing any under chassis damage where as another may just chain them from the rear rails and tear em up...that was my call and I will stand by it.

DON’T TELL ME HOW TO GET YOUR CAR THERE SAFELY!!

Car was delayed in LA as every man and his dog was shipping cars to Oz due to the exchange rate. He wanted the car in Oz for his daughters formal or something like that and the importance turned into impatience. And that was my fault also

He then made a posting on the forum with out even contacting me with these concerns as he knew he was ALLREADY TOLD and SHOWN….and why???....I have no idea

He then sent me an email a few days after that posting at which I chose to ignore after I watched the video again and thought to myself…what a toss…do you really want me to post the youtube video that shows everything I covered that you are talking about?

The main concern of the inspection was “BRAKES” and discussed prior inspection and then noted in the video….
Unrealistic AND impatient

Can anyone see a pattern here. The word patience is used a lot in all of this

I cant please everyone however the realistic and patient ones are always the happiest

The amount of cars I have shi7 canned over 2010 were hundreds. You can see on youtube that Im actually telling the client that we WILL NOT BUY THIS CAR FOR THEM. I don’t care if they beg me. Yes, we loose the fee for buying one but I don’t give a rats. Its about the customer….not you and your business. Due to one of the stories above we now record all of our private calls to the buyers so these stories don’t get stretched into BS fantasy to please the individual and as you can see from the last story, it sort of proves a point. Video is Permanent and is the reason we now use it due to other 2 stories

I don’t work for impatient people and people that are unrealistic, I don’t even take them on as a client. I don’t have the time to waste. There 40 year old cars and if your going to paint a car and call it restored…well that just polishing a turd in my books if your expecting a showroom car.

Im sure the parties above can guess who they are or your all aware of whom Im talking about. Im not having a go at them personally…Im just explaining a situation that happened from my point of view. If you don’t like it, well that’s your point of view…I accept that

We have many people that email us letting us know about our service and how good of a job we have done for them. I place them in a folder and eventually we post them onto our testimonials on our site. I appreciate they take the time to write about their experience and go to the bother of taking a photo of them in front of their cars

Here is one from last week

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13771

For all our clients that have used us, I appreciate your patience in letting us find the car of your dreams and the fantastic feedback you have given us. Working for you was a pleasure

Matt

Most recent.
Once again thank you for everything that Shermatt done to get my car here.The inspection and the following contacts ( Schumacher and Freighnet ) were all first class , and were all to my satisfaction.I will have no problem recommending Shermatt to anybody who is looking for a first class service.

Regards

Darren

Shermatt International worked tirelessly to search for and secure my dream car. I was highly impressed with both their professionalism and knowledge of their work and how quickly the car was bought and sent on its way. I saved a great deal of time and money by using Shermatt International and I will definitely use them again for my next purchase. I recommend anyone who is looking to buy their next pride and joy from the USA to look no further than Shermatt International.

Chris Foster, Western Australia.

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe A Code.

My thoughts on Shermatt International Part 2....
Well as you can see by the picture car no:2 is here and to say I'm happy is a big understatement. When Matt first told me of the white/white 69 Boss that may be on the market my instructions to him were, "Please send me more info but it will more than likely be out of my price range". Anyway the pictures and reports were sent to me and the decision was taken to see what could be negotiated price wise. I had no idea where we would end up but one thing was for sure I couldn't afford the original asking price. Approx a week later I get a call from Sheri saying the car was mine if I wanted it at 20 YES $20K less than it was first offered for. Mate I was speechless and for once so was Matt (that's why Sheri the Boss made the call) All I can say is a big THANKS to Matt & Sheri for all your help and advice and again have no hesitation in recommending their services. ( And if the wife agrees we may soon be looking for car no:3 ).

Barry
1969 BOSS302

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:04 am »
all well and good for you to say that matt,
but you got paid your inspection fee,
you sent your mate up to inspect it,
who worked for you,
you told me car had a few things wrong but nothing serious,
you told me the people doing the work you had used them many times before and u have since used them many times after.
you and your worker kyle did all the mechanical on that.
interior that wasnt done,
brakes that were backwards, undrivable which u told me was driveable.
I still read all those emails to this day and wonder what happened,

i only speak for myself and not the poor others, rock65 and cage and others.
I admit my own fault for trusting a used car salemen with his several business names and sites.
http://www.floridastreetmachines.com/
simple I thought I could trust an Aussie I was naive and wrong.
im sure this will get removed as your a forum sponser.

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:46:31 am »

We have bought 4 cars from Matt and Sheri.

Each car was inspected by them and many, many photos provided to us showed the obvious flaws with the cars, which allowed us to decide whether to proceed with each purchase.

The cars arrived as described and we are more than happy with each car.

In his post above, Matt states that there are now certain people that he will not work with to purchase a car. I totally concur with that statement. After a while in business you develop a bit of a sixth sense with some potential customers, and if you are smart - you go with that sense in an attempt to avoid problems.

With these cars you really need to understand that they are over 40 years old and as such are certainly not going to be perfect. Unrealistic expectations are what leads to buyers remorse in some cases. Sometimes aas a seller you are on a hiding to nothing.

I think we are all sick and tired of reading the posts from a couple of members whinging about their purchase. Get over it and stop boring the rest of us!

Matt and Sheri work tirelessly in an attempt to please everybody. To them we say thank you.

Here are some pics  of the cars supplied to us -

Matt and Sheri, We consider you both good friends and look forward to more dealings with you.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:55:24 am »
Quote from: rickchampion link=topic=13802.msg141604#msg141604
all well and good for you to say that matt,
but you got paid your inspection fee,
you sent your mate up to inspect it,
who worked for you,
you told me car had a few things wrong but nothing serious,
you told me the people doing the work you had used them many times before and u have since used them many times after.
you and your worker kyle did all the mechanical on that.
interior that wasnt done,
brakes that were backwards, undrivable which u told me was driveable.
I still read all those emails to this day and wonder what happened,

i only speak for myself and not the poor others, rock65 and cage and others.
I admit my own fault for trusting a dodgey used car salemen with his several business names and sites.
http://www.floridastreetmachines.com/
simple I thought I could trust an Aussie I was naive and wrong.

Just FYI

I was in Australia when your car was inspected and was delivered while I was in Australia. Have the plane tickets to prove that so theres no changing that story.

As for the cars on Florida street machines, there cars are for LOCAL people to inpect and buy. NONE OF THESE ARE AVAILABLE to over seas buyers unless I fly there and deliver it.

I have never heard from Cage about his car.

As for removing it Rick, well what you write is up to you.

I have written it without any names to share my POINT OF VIEW

None of it is twisted or made up like the little story about me inspecting it above which I find you seem to do alot of to try and gain votes to help your cause

If you cant agree with my opinion, then simply dont agree with an opinion

I hope you get your car on the road and you can finally enjoy it

matt

CPU

CPU
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:02:47 am »
Quote from: rickchampion link=topic=13802.msg141604#msg141604
all well

As long as everybody keeps it civil, nothing will be deleted or closed.  The fact the subject is about a forum sponsor has nothing to do with it.

Offline Stangin

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:11:42 am »

Removed by admin

Off topic

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:12:07 am »
Over the last year I have been slowly chipping away at a little piece of art that Im about to start a nice build thread.

Its the 1968 S code convertible that sorted of got pryed out of my hands last year by a very convincing gentlemen

The car has been rotiserie restored and it is my little baby.

Here it is when we pulled it out of sunstate mustangs deep dark workshop

This is how the Fatkid builds a car and have had a ball doing it

Stay tuned

Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:18:52 am »
Thanks for the nice words Rocket.

Offline 1967stang

• P Plates
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:32:52 am »
I have met Matt and Sheri,sure Matt is a 'enthusiastic' guy who gets excited quite a bit, but I am no fool, if i say so myself, Matt is a good bloke, I followed the casper thread very closely with a very critical and suspicious eye, very early on I got the feeling that this was going to go pear shaped, but what soon became apparent when the car arrived was that the owner wanted a repeat of the hooken up thing..... get real mate, I even offered to come and give him a hand on the car....  

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:36:25 am »

Offline Stangin

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:45:04 am »
Removed by admin

Off topic

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 11:47:06 am »
once again your a new user too,
funny that.
a forum is to express opinions.
good and bad.
cant have one without the other simple.
everyone has to have their say when able.
all sides.
even outsiders not in the know such as yourself,
enough said

Offline Dad

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:53:22 am »
To Sheri and Matt.

From the first email, to the recent 1 hour mobile call at 4.30am your time, I have to say I am more than comfortable with the dealings we have had so far.

It was after that phone call that I sent my deposit. Happy I did - still.

I look forward to the next email with options for my consideration and to one day finding the car we are looking for.

Regards,
Andrew

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 12:09:48 pm »
You can all have a look at the pics for yourself and tell me wether i should have paid someone $2500 to inspect  a car and tell me it was a good buy at $22,500.     http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/rock65gt350/Rust%20Bucket%20Pics/?start=all

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »
I think anyone that replies to Rick will have fault found... New user, Forum Sponsor, whatever... Everyones in allegiance against him.

You can't go buying 40 - 50 year old cars, like shopping for VE's and FG's. If you want a car thats 99%, you need to look for a new car. If you want a car with a warranty, you need to buy a new car (not even a used car has a proper warranty). Some people just can't be pleased, in my work at dealerships with many franchises, that becomes apparent.

I am getting a car from Matt, which I had to beg to buy. It wasn't a big $$ car, so he wanted to sell it local, after all the crap with us buying cheap cars expecting unrealistic bargains. He has sent me videos, of all the visible faults. I know when it arrives it will have other stuff.... they always do. I hope it isn't major, but thats the risk you take on any used car purchase, whether it's 10 year old, or 45 years old, just the risk goes up with age. I'm confident I will get what I expect.... at least.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Stangin

• Pony
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 12:16:22 pm »
Quote from: rickchampion link=topic=13802.msg141619#msg141619
once again your a new user too,
funny that.
a forum is to express opinions.
good and bad.
cant have one without the other simple.
everyone has to have their say when able.
all sides.
even outsiders not in the know such as yourself,
enough said

{Non constructive comments removed by admin.
Please keep your posts constructive and on topic.}
peterp

yes l feel bad, that l feel the need not to identify what other user names l go buy, but that's my business - not yours.

if your trying to imply that, I'm really Matt - then your sadly mistaken and barking up the wrong tree.

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 12:17:28 pm »

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 12:20:34 pm »
Rock, Whats the rest of the car like?
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Stangin

• Pony
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 12:21:41 pm »
Non constructive comment removed by admin.

peterp

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 12:22:04 pm »
I think the moral of the story it to have realistic expectations, know what you're looking at, get a 2nd opinion from the RW guy in your home state if you need to, and be patient.

Remember these aren't used fleet cars at the Auctions, these are 45 year old muscle cars that have most likely been treated like crap as hack cars for 1/2 their life.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 12:23:58 pm »
you talk of maturity yet you haide your real identity stangin ha.
sorry steph,
ive deleted all the posts now.
cant deal with some people

CPU

CPU
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 12:33:36 pm »
Gentleman, please.............. :toetap:

Offline Stangin

• Pony
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 12:33:48 pm »
Non constructive comment removed by admin

peterp

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 12:34:32 pm »
No more pics of the outside and inside of Rocks car?
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline rickchampion

• Blue Printed
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »
hey stangin,
if you read right i didnt dredge it up,
I was defending myself in response to other post,