RRS anyone used it

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RRS anyone used it  (Read 5670 times)

Offline 00UCH

• Pony
RRS anyone used it
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:09:26 pm »
As tittle anyone used there coilover set ups and disk breaks? and can anyone get it cheap heh. and can you only get it thought them??

Cheers

Chris

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:16:17 pm »
We are distributors for the TCP kits, as we were advised that the RRS has a little bump steer built in, and the TCP has better geometry.
The only problem may be, that they use Wilwood brakes, and you should contact your engineer to see if they are OK with them.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:27:22 pm »
I have the coilovers. I am pretty happy with them.

Car handles quite well for what it is. The back suspension is standard and so it feels a little loose and skittish over bumps.

As far as I know you can only get it through them.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Roegs

• Stallion
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:53:11 am »
I've got the coil over struts with the phase 3 brake kit.

The product itself is good, however I would highly recommend doing further research into alternative products.  

My personal experience was not pleasant, and I will never buy anything from them again.  They were quick to take my money, took them over 2 months to actually get the stuff to me however.  Lots of me chasing them, where's my stuff?, "yeah, it's on the way, I'll call you back with the tracking number", never called back.  Call them back, where is it, "yeah, we're just packing it up now" "You said it was on the way!" "yeah. . . . ."  

Ended up talking to the manager and gave her a mouthful about poor customer service and how she's tarnishing what is supposed to be a good product, etc etc with various other rantings.  Turned out her and her husband are the owners :giggle:

Anyways, enough of my rant.  I spoke to Layne from Proj-X up here in Sumner Park (Brisbane) ages ago, and he was a dealer for some brand of suspension.  The name alludes me at the moment.  Maybe get in contact with him.  Pretty sure he's a member of these forums as well.

Also, given the current exchange rate, it may be an idea to have a look at the kits and products direct from the states.  Probably be able to get them fairly cheap and delivered.

Like I said, the RRS product itself is pretty good, and I haven't had a problem with it.  Little bit pricey, and I reckon there are probably kits that are just as good or better for cheaper.  Mind you, I did purchase the kit about 3 years ago, so maybe RRS have got their act together now.

Cheers

Roegs

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:36:35 am »
Wasting your time and money Strut front end can't be as good as double wish bone as you get no increasing camber curve. Plently of brakes out there on the market.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 11:12:04 am »
Quote from: 6T9rustang link=topic=12663.msg132786#msg132786
Quote from: Roegs link=topic=12663.msg132758#msg132758

The product itself is good, however I would highly recommend doing further research into alternative products.  

My personal experience was not pleasant, and I will never buy anything from them again.  They were quick to take my money, took them over 2 months to actually get the stuff to me however.  Lots of me chasing them, where's my stuff?, "yeah, it's on the way, I'll call you back with the tracking number", never called back.  Call them back, where is it, "yeah, we're just packing it up now" "You said it was on the way!" "yeah. . . . ."  

Ended up talking to the manager and gave her a mouthful about poor customer service and how she's tarnishing what is supposed to be a good product, etc etc with various other rantings.  Turned out her and her husband are the owners :giggle:

Anyways, enough of my rant...

When I read this, I thought you had copied and pasted it from a rant I had a couple of years ago.  FINALLY, someone that knows EXACTLY what I went through.:cry:

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:55:10 pm »
TCP have a coil ovr kit that works with the original control arms, replacing from the saddle up, that I'm hoping will work well.
We have a 64-66 kit on the way now, for stock. If it goes well, we will be stocking them locally. We can always order as required, of course.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Horselover

• Worked
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:23:39 pm »
6T9 Rustang I feel your pain! :banghead: I too went through all the drama to fit the strut front end and the 3 link rear end to my 65 convertible.:cry:

I love the way it handles now! Especially to my bog standard 66 coupe!:thumb:

I did the research on TCP as I would have preferred the double wishbone with the coil over shocks.

My engineer told me that the Heim joints used in the TCP were not legal for suspension components in Australia at that time.  Maybe that has changed?

I spoke to Angela and her husband many times.  They were too busy with the US market to service the local market properly.

Cheers,
Warwick

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:19:29 pm »
Quote from: 6T9rustang link=topic=12663.msg132787#msg132787
Quote from: 6T9rustang link=topic=12663.msg132786#msg132786
Quote from: Roegs link=topic=12663.msg132758#msg132758

Anyways, enough of my rant...

When I read this, I thought you had copied and pasted it from a rant I had a couple of years ago.  FINALLY, someone that knows EXACTLY what I went through.:cry:

I had EXACTLY the same experience with Mat & his boss Angela 2 years ago, once they got my cash, "who?" Even there distributor in Kogarah, 200 mts in next street to me, didn't want to know!!!!!! Anyway, my 66 came without PS & will stay like that now.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline Roegs

• Stallion
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 07:05:34 am »
Quote from: 6T9rustang link=topic=12663.msg132787#msg132787

:drunk:

Yeah I was seriously unimpressed at the time.  Especially when my car had taken over my brothers garage  and was starting  to overstay it's welcome.  

I've definitely learned from that mistake.  Always do further research.  Saves you a lot of heartache (and money?) in the long run.

Cheers

Roegs

Offline 00UCH

• Pony
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:10:18 pm »
i have time to wait and they do say it can take 6 weeks on the web site, just wondering if it worth going that track, i have the cash.

Offline Roegs

• Stallion
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 06:55:49 pm »
Like I said, I'm sure there are plenty of other products on the market that are just as good or better for cheaper, especially with the current exchange rate.  Shop around and do some comparisons, the money you could save could go to other things.

It's not the point of having to wait for the product.  If they had of said, yeah, it's going to be here in six weeks, that's fine.  But when RRS says, we're sending it out or it's on the way, and they blatantly lie to me, that's when I start getting perturbed about the matter.

Looking back through this thread, I don't think anyone has recommended them.  At the end of the day, it's your call (and money).

Cheers

Roegs

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 08:42:53 am »
Quote from: 00UCH link=topic=12663.msg132739#msg132739
As tittle anyone used there coilover set ups and disk breaks? and can anyone get it cheap heh. and can you only get it thought them??

Cheers

Chris

I guess the real question Chris is what are you trying to achieve here? are you building a car so when you look under the front end it has the billet look, or do you just want it drive well. Most aftermarket suspension is more for show,and any gains in performance are out weighed by the cost. Properly set up  a original end will be as good as most aftermarket stuff and better then many. As apart from the top arm the rest of the stuff has to be in the same spot pretty much on a road car. Brakes are easy, plenty of good kits out there. Spend your money on good body work.

Offline Pardini

• Pony
    • www.customjewelleryco.com.au
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 08:57:08 am »
+1 on that sentiment Shaun!

My mustangs info- 6R09A175###
63B - Mustang Fastback, Pony interior
4 - Silver Frost
66 - Black crinkle vinyl, Pony Interior
15C - 15th March 1966
72 - San Jose
A - 3.00:1, Limited-Slip
5 - 4-Speed Manual

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 03:30:47 pm »
Completely agree with Shaun

One thing I can recommend is the gear from opentrackerracingproducts.com

They have re-engineered Moog uppers, lowers and spring perches with rollerised bushings and progressive rate springs. Awesome kit.  Also sell heim-jointed strut rods.  Got their kit on a 67 GT350 and it totally transformed the car.

Peace.

Quote from: shaunp link=topic=12663.msg133095#msg133095
Quote from: 00UCH link=topic=12663.msg132739#msg132739

Cheers

Chris

I guess the real question Chris is what are you trying to achieve here? are you building a car so when you look under the front end it has the billet look, or do you just want it drive well. Most aftermarket suspension is more for show,and any gains in performance are out weighed by the cost. Properly set up  a original end will be as good as most aftermarket stuff and better then many. As apart from the top arm the rest of the stuff has to be in the same spot pretty much on a road car. Brakes are easy, plenty of good kits out there. Spend your money on good body work.
BrianE :o

Offline 00UCH

• Pony
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »
I am after a show/handleing, The car i want to drive atleast 3-4 days a week i dont want to hide my hard work. Thanks for all the tips i shall get onto these sites and look around :)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »
Ok really the stock stuff is fine with tweaking, but if you want. It to look flash I'd be looking at the TCP stuff, as it really just kind of hand made versions with some extra adjustabillity of the original stuff. For the front end to work correctly it has to be close to how ford designed it simple as that. Keep away from racks, and go for one of the Borgsen power boxes, best box for a mustang is an XF falcon but of course that is only of use in a RHD car. You can spend a lot of loot on aftermacket suspension, but real terms they can be made to work fine the original stuff, the secret to a good steering mustang or old falcon is really down to a proper alignment with plenty of caster. But caster makes them heavier to steer so you need power steer to sort that issue. The TCP stuff just builds in some well know mods that you can do with factory arms, but looks flasher if that's what you want. The main thing is that it loads the shell where where it was designed to be loaded. The RRS stuff is a strut front end which is a retro grade step from factory, they use a strenghten stock lower arm.
 With orig stuff , konis, springs , sway bar,shorten the caster bar bush spacers, top arm drop with top ball joint wedges will have it driving as good as any, with an alignment of 1/8 of toe, 0.5 deg neg camber and up to 5deg pos caster.

One last thing TCP make an inner upper arm pivot that has arm drop built in so you don't have to drill your towers. I'd stick with the straight one and drill the tower if thats the way you want to go, as I think the off set shaft idea may want to rock on the tower because the mounting is not centre to the arm.

Offline 00UCH

• Pony
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 06:00:35 pm »
well im going to look at all new standed stuff and also have a look into this TCP stuff. Be easier with a one stop shop :P lol

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 06:54:54 pm »
Standard stuff is cheap to buy ex US for a kit of uppers and lower, perches etc about $300 for the lot, some Kings springs $130 Thing is if you have flash looking brakes that you can see though the wheels that gives the bling factor on an  resto mod type car. For example some of the kits Hoppers stopers do, which are based on late model falcons and commodores they have the look, yet you could buy pads at supa cheap on sunday arvo.
not keen on the their rear ends but below is the link to TCP
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/

Offline Heidelberg

• Pony
RRS anyone used it
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 09:11:16 pm »
Chris,

I'd recommend you consider Street or Track's suspension.

http://www.streetortrack.com/

Shaun is fantastic to deal with and the product is 1st class and reasonably priced as well!

Happy to share my experiences with you - just send me a PM.

Regards....Paul