66 deluxe interior dash paint colour code

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 deluxe interior dash paint colour code  (Read 4601 times)

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:18:51 pm »
Hi all,

I want to respray my doors and lower dash with the factory white for my pony deluxe interior. I am struggling with finding the correct code. I know that Ford did not list this colour on any colour charts and my best bet maybe to take a sample (don't know how) to get it colour matched, however I have found in the NPD catalogue a listing for PPG White (Pony) colour as AP-5767.

My quesitons are
has anyone bought this before or know of a comparable colour eg. Dupont
and secondly, if not, but you have matched it closely for your mustang, what did you use and do you have the colour code available.

thanks
:banghead:

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »
Your safest option is to have it matched. If your kick panels are the correct colour & in good nick that would be the easiest pice to pull off for matching.

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »
I just sprayed my dash with dulux off white pressure pack from bunnings. not an exact match but is very close.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:02:53 pm »
Ah ha!  The ash tray!  Will get it matched

Offline ANGZ66

• Worked
  • VIC Member
    • http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8047
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:17:16 pm »

pbapam,

We had the white inserts of the pony seat trim replaced with dark blue that matched the dash pad.
The white pony door trim was painted with dark blue to match the new seat inserts.
The paint was matched and applied by the local Uticolor plastics dealer.

Watch the painted door trim will wear through to original colour plastic where it touches the dash / windlace.

Roger.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:43:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice Roger, I can see that that would happen, but my pony door trims are new from TMI in the white colour code and I am currently reupholstering the interior to match, again with TMI upholstery.  I don't want to paint these. I meant the top of the doors (metal) which has the orange peel effect. I sprayed the kick boards using the same colour code as the pony seats and door panels from TMI using paint made by Rainbow Industries and although they have come up great, I fear that the dash and doors painted in this colour will be a little too 'off white' more cream in fact. I probably should repaint these again to the dash colour when I match it.
Sounds complicated, would have been easy if Ford actually told what they used!
I will try and match it this weekend and if successful will post the paint codes.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:59:16 pm »
I have looked into this colour further and come up with the interior white for the 65/66 mustang range was R&M 5767 which is what the PPG 5767 code probably refers to. I have also found out that the Ditzler code of 8608 is the equivalent (Ditzler were bought out by PPG).  Does anyone know of the Dupont equivalent of the Ditzler code of 8608 or the PPG 5767? I have searched websites where Mustang colours are cross referenced with PPG Ditzler and Dupont codes but only the exterior colours seem to be listed.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1964

It's gotta be somewhere! I know i can colour match but now its a matter of principle.
thanks
Pete  

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:07:12 pm »
Where are you located pete?

In all honesty, as soc suggested, get it matched.  If you goto the right paint supplier, they will be able to do a formula in your chosen brand for you, and keep it on file, so that should you want some more later on, they can simply pull it up on the computer and mix it for you.

I normally send in the new door trims and have it matched to them, as they are a colour dominant item.   Especially once you fit them to the door, it becomes an edge to edge colour, and any variation will stand out like dogs goolies.

Jas

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:16:16 am »
I'm in Camberwell area. You're right, I should get the paint matched to the door trims and will probably do this tomorrow, however I would be keen to find a solution to this web of colour codes. Any recommendations on paint type to use?

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:35:12 pm »
Just use a good quality 2k with matting base to kill off a bit of gloss. Brand wise it really depends what is available close to where you are.

As for paint codes etc, they are not the be all & end all. For example on most new cars there will be at least 4 variant formulas for each paint code. Each one is essentialy a different colour. I have seen some colours with up to 20 variants. Multiply that by 10+ paint companys & you get the idea.

Apply this to a 40+ year old car that has seen paint technoligy change dramaticly in that time. Even if you had the formulation for the factory colour, if you mixed it to that formula it most likely wouldnt match off the mix anyway.

The only sure way is to have it matched. If you have new door trims that is the smart thing to use as Jas suggested. It is still unlikely that it would be the exact shade that rolled off the production line, but as long as it looks right for your car it doesnt matter.

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »
Pete,
  Camberwell... Northern Autopaints is probably your best port of call.  Failing that, a small drive out to Croydon (All Cars Paint supplies), and my own painter will take care of you (you'll have to wait two weeks tho as he is on post-natal vacation :smile01: )...ask for John.

A piece of advice that most of us in the industry have failed to give out previously, is to ensure they provide you with the  Material Data sheets before you pay.  That way you can read up and ask questions about the product before you leave. It also ensures that you do not leave with only half of what you need.

If you go through northern or all cars, ask for a litre of Primer 3000 or 4000.   For muzzy doors i reccomend NOTHING else.   Simply mix it 2:1 with your top coats reducer, apply one cover coat, wait 15-20 minutes then top coat.  This is an etch primer designed for bare steel.  It's very thin, with excellant adhesion.  Being thin, it won't fill the texture of your doors, so provides an excellant result.

Jas

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 05:29:30 pm »
Had it matched today. Good colour match too.
Thanks for the advice guys. Gotta laugh.....when I went to get the paint matched, I told the bloke that I was trying to match an original colour from 66 but was having problems with matching the original paint code...He tells me "give it to me..we can make anything"....I tell him Ditzler 8060...he looks at me blankly and says"....happy to colour match your sample"
:thumb:

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »
Ditzler codes are a US thing. I started my apprenticeship as a painter in 1986. The first I heard of Ditzler codes was when I joined this forum. Glad you got it sorted.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 11:00:57 pm »
Thanks soc123_au.