My Long-Term Project

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My Long-Term Project  (Read 21860 times)

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
  • Name: Jeff
  • Car: 67 Mustang Fastback
Re: My Long-Term Project
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 02:10:06 pm »
Hi everyone, hope you are all coping OK with the Corona-lockdown!  I've not been able to get over to Rai's to check out progress, but fortunately he sent through a few shots of the fabrication of the Mini-Tubs:  First image shows RH Wheel-House from underneath, just held together with Clecos and G-clamps.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:11:41 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2020, 02:17:12 pm »
These images show the Wheel-Houses from inside.  On the RH side view you can see the top of the Shock Turret tacked in place.  When you see both sides together it shows just how much wider than stock they are.  Just in case you are wondering, no there won't be a back seat in this thing...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:09:21 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2020, 05:59:45 pm »
Time for a post lock-down up-date.  Not a lot has happened over the last six months.  Main thing is the rear Mini-Tubs and Shock-Turrets are welded in place, though still not finished.  First image shows the RH work in progress from the rear, looking through the boot.  Next shot shows LH side from inside the cabin.  Then the RH side from outside looking through the Wheel-Arch.  Finally the diff assembly is shown from underneath with Suspension at full droop.  Although we've lost a lot of time, I'm still very happy with the way it's shaping up.  The rear end will have more than adequate travel and will be completely adjustable in every parameter.  Next job, will be the adjustable tubular rear Sway-Bar.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:02:54 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2020, 06:17:36 pm »
Meanwhile, we've started the Engine build process!  First thing is the acquisition of some goodies.  A new Scat Pro-Series forged lightweight, Crankshaft with a stroke of 4.100" will swing Scat forged H-Beam Con-Rods of 6.2" length, topped off with a set of Mahle forged PowerPak Cleveland Pistons.  This will result in a capacity of 418 Cu In or 6.8 Litres with a compression ratio of 10.5:1.  We will check clearances etc with a dummy assembly, then it will be off to the Engine Machine Shop for a full neutral balance...

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:55:52 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2020, 10:10:42 pm »
Thanks for the update Jeff

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2020, 08:57:30 pm »
G'day, thought I'd show some of the Engine Block preparation.  This will give you an idea of what's involved when putting a big-stroke Crank into a stock Ford 351 Windsor Block.  NB: I acquired this Block from a previous Engine Builder (who proved very unreliable).  At the time it was a good find, in that it was a standard bore 1974 casting in very good condition.  Of the original 351 Windsors, I'm of the opinion these Truck Blocks were the best, with slightly thicker and taller decks at 9.503", with quite a lot of meat around the bottom end too.  However, if I was starting this now I'd get an after-market Dart, World or Ford Racing Block.  They are heaps stronger everywhere and offer the added advantage of the bigger 4.125" bore and the Cleveland size Main Bearing Journals.  Oh well, maybe next time!

I should also point out, some of this work was done a few years ago.

First three images show clearance grinding at the base of the cylinder bores and sump-rails to provide adequate clearance for the rotating assembly.  Everything fits nicely and this sort of attention to detail should prevent issues in the future.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:53:25 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2020, 09:22:14 pm »
The next image shows some of the deburring and clean-up that was done to the block.  All areas where oil drain-back might be hindered were deburred and polished with a wire wheel.  Note also, all edges have been given a light deburring too.  Next the block was sent to the Machine Shop, where it was bored 0.030" over, four-bolt Main-Caps fitted & tunnel bored, Decks trued, and all Bearing clearances set and checked.  2nd shot, shows the Crankshaft dummy-fitted again.  For the money, I think the Scat Crank is really quite nice with lightening holes on all crank pins, centre gun-drilling and areo-contoured counterweights, everything looks good.  ARP Head Studs also fitted and external engine paint applied.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:48:56 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 05:31:35 pm »
Well, some meaningful progress has been made on my project recently! Here's some shots showing work being carried out on the new rear Floor, rear Suspension Turrets and Wheel Tubs.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:05:46 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 06:00:50 pm »
Nice. I would clear coat those welds!!!!!!! :omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 10:02:58 pm »
The Cabin rear Floor is now finished.  The tray over the Trailing Arms closes out the area above where the mufflers will be.  It will also provide an area inside the car for storage (helmet, tools, etc).  My plan is that it will look sort of similar to the original folded rear seat.  Also, the Battery will be located between this and the LH rear Wheel-House.  Next job is make a new Boot Floor with the Fuel-Cell re-located centrally and an access hole for draining the Dry-Sump Tank.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:07:29 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2021, 04:10:49 pm »
There's been quite a bit going on with my Mustang project recently.

After the Suspension and rear Cabin Floor was finished off, we've moved on to the front of the car.  While the shell is totally rust free, it has suffered, previously, from some really dodgy RHD conversion work.  Resulting in a Dash and Firewall that was very poorly welded together.  A bit like a jigsaw puzzle with some pieces in the wrong spots and some missing all together, all hidden under a thick layer of bog!  So the decision was taken to remove the offending areas and start again.

First pic shows the Firewall, after the paint and up to 10mm of body filler was blasted off.  Next shows the Dash and Firewall removed altogether. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:11:21 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2021, 04:47:27 pm »
We also took the opportunity to re-build the inner rear Fender Skirts on both sides, as they too had also been butchered previously.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:13:17 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2021, 04:53:45 pm »
By going to a flat Firewall with no heater bulge, the Engine can be set back 60mm as shown in this image.  While the next shot shows the new Firewall and the new wider, taller transmission Tunnel from inside the vehicle. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:15:32 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2021, 04:55:01 pm »
Hey Jeff,
It's coming along beautifully,  can't believe your patience!
Cheers Phil
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2021, 04:56:14 pm »
Hi Phil, they tell me patience is a virtue, but I think it's more of a curse...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 04:58:30 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2021, 07:26:48 pm »
Here's the view from underneath the car showing all the mods so far...

New Trans Tunnel allows plenty of room for the T56.  While at the back you can see the new rear Suspension now finished and between the Trailing-Arms the space for mufflers is now much larger.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:17:32 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2021, 07:36:52 pm »
Here's a shot of the boot showing the Dry-Sump Tank installed, it just fits under the Boot Lid when closed.  Also the aperture in the Boot Floor was centralized to the centerline of the car allowing equal space either side of the Fuel Cell for the Exhausts.  Last pic is the new RHD Dash Panel, I just bought.  It will require modifications for the Roll Cage, but is a vast improvement from the shambles I had in the car previously.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:23:19 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Rayatswan

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Ray
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2021, 06:19:11 am »
Looking fantastic. Super attention to detail

Offline Rayatswan

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2021, 11:52:36 pm »
Hey Jeff, quick question mate, I have been checking out the Koni Shocks you purchased and noticed the 2nd adjuster is on the bottom of the shock which in the RRS struts you can't access, how are you going to fix this, wouldn't mind getting a set myself.
Cheers Ray

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2021, 10:54:51 am »
Hi Ray, hmm that's a very good question!  I gotta admit I haven't looked too closely at the Front Strut Legs since they came back from the shop that fitted the inserts.  Currently, my car is at the fabricators and we're locked-down here in Vic (and will be for at least a few weeks more).  So I can't get over there, but I certainly need to  -  I'll get back to you...

Offline Rayatswan

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2021, 11:49:24 am »
Cheers mate

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2021, 09:24:57 pm »
Hey Jeff, quick question mate, I have been checking out the Koni Shocks you purchased and noticed the 2nd adjuster is on the bottom of the shock which in the RRS struts you can't access, how are you going to fix this, wouldn't mind getting a set myself.
Cheers Ray

Hi Ray, sorry for taking so long to answer, finally got a chance to take some photos today.  NB: I didn't install the Koni Inserts myself, that was done by the supplier, however it appears pretty self evident how it works.  First image:  To answer your question, yes a large hole was cut into the bottom of the Strut housing to allow the Retainer to screw into the insert and to give access to the lower (Bump) Adjuster.  Second image:  Shows the lower Strut and Knuckle assembly installed in vehicle...

Hope this answers your question. 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 03:27:59 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Rayatswan

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2021, 05:50:06 am »
Hey Jeff, thanks for getting back to me, the pictures sure do answer the question.
Cheers

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2021, 05:02:44 pm »
Things are moving forward again on my project, after Melbourne's last Lock-Down finally ended  ...and I've been shown how to post photos from Imgur (thanks Shane).  Fabrication has started on the new, Motorsport Australia (CAMS) compliant, chrome-moly Roll Cage.  These images show the initial work on the Main Hoop and upper bracing structure.  Side Intrusion-Bar design along with the Forward Legs and Dash-Bar detail.

Paris Acott also completed the work on the alloy Rear Sway-Bar Arms.  I'm very pleased with these, they are works of art!

Finally, I received an early Christmas present, when the G-Force, heavy duty Gear and Dog conversion kit arrived for the T-56 from the States!  This will make the Transmission bullet proof, good for up to 1200 HP they say (not that I'll be making anything like that).  Check out the size of the Gears and the Main-Shaft.  The bearings are also massive and will require machining of the Case.  This kit runs Dog engagement on the first four Gears and Corvette triple-cone synchros on the Overdrives.  It even comes with a H/D Shifter Fork and bronze Pads.  The idea being for super fast and positive shifts for competition work, with the ease of the O/Ds for driving to and from the track.  The gears all have a mild helical cut, so it will be noisier than a standard T-56, but nothing like a straight-cut race-car transmission.  Ratios are: 1st: 2.71  2nd: 1.79  3rd: 1.30  4th: 1.00  5th: 0.86  6th: 0.75  -  a little bit closer than a wide ratio Top-Loader with two more gears on top!  Here's a link: http://gforcetransmissions.com.au/street-t56/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:26:00 pm by Haggspeed »

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2022, 09:48:09 pm »
It's been a very long while between posts but I finally have something to share.  The Chrome Molly, Roll Cage is now finished!  Here's a shot through the left door.  The Dash, is now removable (bolted in).  The Tilton Pedal Box and XE Falcon Steering Column will be supported by the Roll Cage (under Dash Bar) with extra brackets to the Fire Wall.

Next shot, through the windscreen, gives a good view of the A-Pillar tags and how much reinforcing is in the Cage structure.

Here's the right hand side with the Driver's Seat installed.  Seating position is now much lower than original on fabricated RHS tubes.

And through the rear window.

Finally, this image shows the Cage tied in to the front Shock Tower structure and also the location of the ZF Electric Power Steering Pump.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:57:30 pm by Haggspeed »