Headlight Conversion LHD

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Headlight Conversion LHD  (Read 13923 times)

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 87 GT
Headlight Conversion LHD
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:44:33 pm »
Hi,

I have a 87 Mustang GT and can't find any headlights that are or can be adjusted to RHD.  Does anyone know of any company that will modify the headlights to make them approved for Australia ?

Any assistance is appreciated

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Re: Headlight Conversion LHD
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 01:55:38 pm »
If there is anyone out there with a fox body that has been able to figure out this headlight issue please let me know.
I have researched everything and all new headlight assemblies, similar headlights on Falcons of same era etc. and yet no luck !

Looks like no night driving for me.

If I ever find a solution I will be sure to post on here for any other fox body mustang owners.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:16:34 pm »
Have you looked at any other RHD countries to see what they did for their fox bodies?

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 02:40:52 pm »
Thanks Dwayne - did a UK search and there doesn't seem to be any headlights for Fox Body Mustangs there.  In UK they allow you to place a sticker on the headlight in a strategic spot so the lights don't dip into oncoming traffic.  They don't allow that here.

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 12:45:59 pm »
1979 to 1986 Fox bodies, "Four Eyed Cars" have readily available RHD headlights, 165mm x100mm, Landcruiser, Mitsubishl etc.

1987 to 1993 Fox Bodies, "Aero Cars" headlights were only available in RHD for new cars sold in Japan.

Similar situation for later SN95 Mustangs.

Have imported both a 91 Confvertible and a 95 GT from Japan and all lens had the Arrow pointing to the left, showing which way they dipped.

In the past,  having owned five Fox Bodies, I have sourced RHD headlights listed on Yahoo Japan and also US EBay which were listed as export Items.

Same for KPH Speedometers, which can sometimes be found on Canadian  eBay as they went metric around the same time as us.

That said, have also fitted a set of late SAE/DOT marked Clear six piece front Headlights from US Ebay that had minimal leakage to the right when adjusted and dipped. They were passed by a QLD Approved Engineer.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:41:24 am by Ausfox »
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/427gge/Mustang%20Pacecar/

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 09:30:21 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Good tips on checking NZ and Japan.  The VIC Vast guys won't accept just adjustments no matter how good they want new lights.
I will look at Japan for these headlights - haven't thought of that.  The USA ebay ones can't be adjusted - I contacted the resellers and the manufactures of a couple.
Even the headlight repair guys in Melbourne say they can't fix them so they will be RHD.

@Ausfox- did your 91 have torso belts already in that year or did you have to install them ?

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »
[quote @Ausfox- did your 91 have torso belts already in that year or did you have to install them ?
[/quote]

Torso belts?.

All post 72 cars had to have new ADR Compliant Inertia Reel  Lap /Sash belts fitted on import.
Just changed the front factory belts for new Hemcos.

Also fitted Inertia Reel Lap sash to the rear as well. Same as any Mustang Convertible, strengthen and fabricate Engineer approved brackets, to the ram well and rear bulkhead.

Crossover Conversions in Melbourne did some fox Bodies in the 80's and 90's, might be going back to far but probably worth a call re headlights.

17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:40:28 pm »
Thanks Ausfox

Turns out in NZ they aren't fussy so don't change the headlights...the guys at Mustang NZ got back to me on this.
Can't find any from Japan for that specific era either.

I will try Crossover Conversions as one last hail mary.

On the fox body mustangs there is no place to put rear sash belts.  The legislation allows for this if it meets certain criteria, which I think the Mustang convertible meets but the measurement is close and no VASS guy will pass it , even it it passed the measurement but is close as they are worried about liability so I am onto VIC ROADS.

Offline Ausfox

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 02:14:28 pm »
[quote
On the fox body mustangs there is no place to put rear sash belts.  The legislation allows for this if it meets certain criteria, which I think the Mustang convertible meets but the measurement is close and no VASS guy will pass it , even it it passed the measurement but is close as they are worried about liability so I am onto VIC ROADS.
[/quote]

Measurement?.

Having fitted REAR Inertia Reel Lap Sash belts to a 1984, 2 x 1988's and a 1991 Fox Body Convertible plus about 8 other Mustang Convertibles, over the years, that were inspected and passed by a QLD Transport approved Engineer, to comply with ADR LK1 and LK2 requirements, I must have been doing something wrong!.
17 SEPT 1964 FASTBACK
1966 Turbo 6Cyl Coupe
1979 INDY PACE CAR

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:59:42 pm »
Thanks Ausfox

There is a piece of the legislation (2nd edition ADR 5b) that exempts having to have sash belts basically dependant on a measurement of their being a permanent structure 350mm above the SRP

Where did you mount the sash belt for the rear seats on that convertible ?  Did you have to install a structure behind the rear seat ?

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 11:05:25 am »
@AusFOX - do you have a pic or any info as to how you mounted the rear seat belts on that Mustang Convertible ???

@67FBGT - not a waste of time at all.  I was happy to have an avenue to pursue.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 09:01:05 pm »
Hi,

I have a 87 Mustang GT and can't find any headlights that are or can be adjusted to RHD.  Does anyone know of any company that will modify the headlights to make them approved for Australia ?

I know that early cars had a reflector inside the globe and later cars it was in the headlight lens, assuming your car is the latter, also assuming that the front headlight and indicator assembly are in three pieces. You could try to remove the headlight piece and take it to a breakers yard and look for something that may match, i think early Mazda's and Nissan's were similar. Worth a try.

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »
@ausfox- thanks for the tip on Custom Conversions.  They got back to me and said they think it was AE72 Corolla light !

Now to find a head lamp for a AE72 Corolla - contacted a number of used parts places and none sell for that particular car - sounds like they are very rare.
Just posted on the Toyota Forum to see is anyone can help.
Slowly slowly getting there.

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 01:27:47 pm »
Turns out they must have remembered wrong - ordered a headlight for the AE82 (they emailed me to say AE72 was a typo as there are no AE72 in oz) and it is totally a different size --too wide by a couple inches...so back to the drawing board.

Offline Giffo

• Worked
  • LIFE IS A MUSTANG
  • Name: Steve G
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 06:57:14 pm »
Hi mate,

Give this mob a call. I was told to contact them in regards to my 2002 Mustang headlights Re: For right hand drive.
I was able to get a set from USA so not needed.
But call them I heard they cam modify headlights.
GOODLUCK. THEY ARE IN HORNSBY NORTH WEST OF SYDNEY.
www.linganeauto.com.au

Hi,

2002 MUSTANG COBRA - 4.6 SVT 5 SPEED - CONVERTIBLE.
Lowered Kings Springs, 3.73 diff gears, JTG CAI,  18" ROVOS DURBAN RIMS. MGW Short Shifter.  Slotted brake rotors. 2 1/2" SS Exhaust with Magnaflow high flow cats and mufflers.

Offline malscar

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 08:13:09 pm »
Turns out they must have remembered wrong - ordered a headlight for the AE82 (they emailed me to say AE72 was a typo as there are no AE72 in oz) and it is totally a different size --too wide by a couple inches...so back to the drawing board.

We had the TE72 which was the Toyota T18. Nice rectangle flat headlights. I wonder if that was what they meant. Go down to a wreckers if there are any still around you and measure it up.

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 02:55:17 pm »
Thanks - will have to spend a day at a wreckers trying to find something that will fit.   If they are just normal rectangular it likely won't work as these do have a slight angle to them.
What a pain !

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 03:27:23 pm »
Try Pete at:

Toyo Spares.
9720 3177
5/89-91 Canterbury rd Kilsyth vic

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 05:30:52 pm »
Thanks Dwayne - checked at Toyo Spares today - long drive but anyway there is nothing that will fit from Toyotas.  They are really helpful there and checked everything but no luck.
Back to the drawing board for the lights and the rear seatbelts.  Ugg

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:50 pm »
buy some cheap RHD round headlights, fabricate a neat mounting setup so you can get through the engineering check, then pull it all out and revert back to well adjusted LHD rights.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:47 pm »
I doubt most engineers would even bother to check the headlights, I think it's more a roadworthy item. 

As long as you have a reasonable RWC guy you can go to I think you'd be OK with LHD lights adjusted as good as you can get them as Jiffy says.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:58 pm »
I spoke with 3 VASS signatories and all have a checklist, this includes the Headlights and even the sunvisors (need 3mm of padding and most only have 1mm). 
It sounds like it must have been less restrictive previously but they are very much 'by the book' now and everything has to be photographed and documented...every single ADR and VSI etc.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 09:20:50 pm »
I spoke with 3 VASS signatories and all have a checklist, this includes the Headlights and even the sunvisors (need 3mm of padding and most only have 1mm).

Would love to know which ADR specs the minimum padding of a sunvisor (not doubting you, this is exactly the kind of over-regulation we have to put up with!)  I can say with 99.9% surety it's not from earlier than 1973 as I've been poring over those ADRs to see what I'm in for when I go to get my '71 fastback inspected...

Can't see the value in VASS guys having to approve things that are also on the RWC checklist as it's double dipping - anything that requires you to get an engineer's cert will also require a RWC.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:22:44 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline gstsaver

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:10 pm »
BAC - it is ADR 11.... only for vehicles built 1 Jan 1972 and after

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 02:35:34 pm »
BAC - it is ADR 11.... only for vehicles built 1 Jan 1972 and after

Yep, got it - what a relief it's one stupid ADR that my '71 will not have to comply with...  Pretty much any sun visor is going to provide slightly better head protection than slamming straight into the windscreen, but in terms of compliance you're better off having no visors at all rather than ones that don't meet the spec.  :ouch:

Interesting the ADR doesn't specify a padding type or minimum thickness that I can see, just a requirement for impact deceleration properties - good luck testing for compliance with that! 

I take it your engineer has come up with the 3mm of padding figure based on his experience?
Cheers,
Brian