Smally's 66 Coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Smally's 66 Coupe  (Read 17787 times)

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
  • Name: Mark
Smally's 66 Coupe
« on: June 12, 2017, 06:38:44 pm »
I have posted photo's up on here before in other sections, but thought it was time to start my own thread. I've had a few old Fords before including a Mk1 Capri, XC GS 351, XT ute 351 & an XY GS that I owned for 29 years before selling it to make way for my first Mustang.

Found this one in Melbourne on Gumtree & got a couple of very helpful members from here to check it out for me. Did a quick trip over in one of our work trucks to pick it up a couple of weeks ago & loving it! 1966 C code auto that's been in Oz since 2012. Guy I bought it from got it from an importer in QLD, gave it a paint job & went thru the mechanicals. Still not 100% sure if I like the wheels, might try some wider tyres on the back & see how it looks then.

Just have to wait for the SA rego laws to change next month to get it registered over here.

From the ad

At my mate's place in Melbourne

Half way home

Had the last plates from the States in a box. Score!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:51:11 pm by smally »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Smally's 66 Coupe
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:33:28 pm »
Lookin' good Mark!

Offline David C

• Stallion
  • Just do it!
  • Name: David
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:57 pm »
Lovely '66 bro.
'17 GT (Magnetic)
'72 Mach1 (Red)

Offline Evo

• Thoroughbred
  • Living the Dream
  • Name: Evan
  • Car: 66 c code coupe
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:47:15 am »
Its a great looking 66 Smally,
I havent seen those mags on a 65/66.
They look good, I reckon they might grow on ya.
Are they 17 inch ?

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:17:52 am »
Why sell an Australian icon like the GS for a 66 mustang? Cant be for investment reasons the Aussie stuff is going through the roof.

BTW the Mustang looks great so congrats! Just interested in why you switched from the locals. :cheers:
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 12:21:06 pm »
Its a great looking 66 Smally,
I havent seen those mags on a 65/66.
They look good, I reckon they might grow on ya.
Are they 17 inch ?

Cheers. Yeah they are 17x7 Cragar Eliminators. I was going to swap the rears for 8's but they have stopped making them.

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 12:23:24 pm »
Why sell an Australian icon like the GS for a 66 mustang? Cant be for investment reasons the Aussie stuff is going through the roof.

BTW the Mustang looks great so congrats! Just interested in why you switched from the locals. :cheers:

The old GS needed a full body resto that I no longer have the time or patience for. The stang is turn key & enjoy! It made sense to me, plus selling the GS funded half of the stang  :thumb:

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:24:20 pm »
The old GS needed a full body resto that I no longer have the time or patience for. The stang is turn key & enjoy! It made sense to me, plus selling the GS funded half of the stang  :thumb:

Turn key is nice, I hope you enjoy. Love the old Fords but almost out of the price range now. :cheers:

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 10:50:32 pm »
OK, been getting the old girl ready for SA rego inspection when I can, time is on short supply at the moment!

Worn tie rod ends replaced, leaking power steering hoses & ram boot replaced, inspection plate fitted to the trans, heater problem sorted (kinked hose under the dash!) including re-plumbing the hoses which were the wrong way around, new handbrake handle and fix short in headlight wiring.

Will be organising the inspection as soon as I can, just a bit worried about the booster under the front guard not having a cover over it. Wait and see.

Will be going in with the original 14" wheels with hubcaps. I have sold the 17x7 wheels & actually have a set of 17x8's on the way, even though I was leaning towards old school 15's. The car needs to be looking sharp for my Son's Yr12 formal in early December & couldn't find a set of 15's at a reasonable price. They came off a 65 fastback so they should fit  :thumb:

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:15 am »
Good luck with the inspection.

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:53:21 pm »
New wheels arrived last week. Gave it a quick wash today & grabbed some photos. Planning on dropping the back end after the rego inspection is done.

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 07:15:46 pm »
Looks great Smally

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »
Had the rego inspection done today. I find it strange that even though the SA rego laws have changed to allow modifications to LHD cars that we still need an inspection to register them. If it was RHD all it would need is an ID check as it came from interstate .....

Anyway, passed the inspection, now have my LHD exemption paperwork. Next step is Club Rego, getting that done at the SMASA Show N Shine 29th of this month.

Looks funny with it's 'School Shoes' on. Didn't want to give the inspectors any ammo!!!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:17:32 pm by smally »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 02:55:17 pm »
Congrats on getting through the 1st go, I think you join a small group.

Can I get that inspector's name for mine ;)

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »
Congrats on getting through the 1st go, I think you join a small group.

Can I get that inspector's name for mine ;)

Cheers, young fella by the name of Larsen. Very helpful!

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 07:11:39 pm »
Hi Smally

What is the width and profile on those 17's. IMO the old school tires filled the arch better. Or it just maybe there is so much rim the profile looks small. Anyway I was consider 17's as well to try and get this look but am concerned now.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 10:13:26 pm »
Love the new wheels, they look great with that colour

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 01:38:48 pm »
Hi Smally

What is the width and profile on those 17's. IMO the old school tires filled the arch better. Or it just maybe there is so much rim the profile looks small. Anyway I was consider 17's as well to try and get this look but am concerned now.

The rear wheels on that convertible look shocking to me - stick out way too far & would scrape on the guards if it wasn't sitting so high.

Mine are 17x8 with 4.75" back space. Tyres are 235/40 on the back & 215 on the front.
235/40 seems a strange size, 45 series is a much more common size but they were already on the rims when I bought them. I may even go to a 245 or 255 when it is time to replace them. Either way it will look a lot better when I lower the back end. A 235/45 will be very close to the same OD as the 14's.

IMO 17's used to look huge on old cars, but not so much anymore now that a lot of people are running 19's or 20's!

This how my wheels sat on the 65 fastback the previous owner had them on

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:50:24 pm by smally »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »
Same here, 17x8 with 4.75 backspacing. This width and backspacing IS the perfect solution for a stock guard/non tubbed 65/66 mustang.

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:23 pm »
Same here, 17x8 with 4.75 backspacing. This width and backspacing IS the perfect solution for a stock guard/non tubbed 65/66 mustang.

Sure is. I did a LOT of research, measuring & thinking before buying these wheels. The poor guy I bought them from was really helpful with all the questions I bombarded him with. As they were 2,000 kms away I couldn't try them on. Held my breath for a week waiting for them to turn up & get them on. Huge sigh of relief when they fitted perfectly.

The red fastback he has now runs black 20's

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
The rear wheels on that convertible look shocking to me - stick out way too far & would scrape on the guards if it wasn't sitting so high.

Mine are 17x8 with 4.75" back space. Tyres are 235/40 on the back & 215 on the front.
235/40 seems a strange size, 45 series is a much more common size but they were already on the rims when I bought them. I may even go to a 245 or 255 when it is time to replace them. Either way it will look a lot better when I lower the back end. A 235/45 will be very close to the same OD as the 14's.

IMO 17's used to look huge on old cars, but not so much anymore now that a lot of people are running 19's or 20's!

This how my wheels sat on the 65 fastback the previous owner had them on

Smally, I think the 1" will make a huge difference. Perhaps that photo angle doesnt do the convertible justice, The combo is very similar to what you are going for. I'll try to post a link to the full story as I think the photo from the rear looks much better. It has Wheels
Front: Coy's C-5, chrome finish, 17x7-inch
Rear: Coy's C-5, chrome finish, 17x8-inch

Tires
Front: Riken Raptor ZR, P205/50ZR17
Rear: Riken Raptor ZR, P235/45ZR17

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mufp-0709-1965-mustang-gt-convertible/

Cheers

Offline smally

• Thoroughbred
  • 66 Coupe 289
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:36 pm »
Yeah it does look a lot better from different angles. I have a set of 2" blocks to try out in the rear to see how it sits. Probably be too low so might cut them down a bit.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 08:19:11 am »
Yeah it does look a lot better from different angles. I have a set of 2" blocks to try out in the rear to see how it sits. Probably be too low so might cut them down a bit.

Actually I think the whole wheel and tyre selection thing is a raffle. When I purchased my car I understood it to be a straight up C code. Before I had even picked it up I purchased Wheel Vintique styled steel wheels 15 x 7 4.25 back space and TA's 215/60. I asked the mechanic doing the roadworthy to put them on so that the car arrived at home with the wheels (mainly so the misses didnt know I'd purchased them later"in addition") All my research said they should be like a dick in a gumboot.

When he put them on the original drums they hit the upper control arm and the wheels studs were too short (barely a nut width of thread). :cry:

So the car came home without them. I fitted front disc brakes that fixed the stud length and trimmed the upper arm back a little. After a camber adjustment they fitted, although in extreme conditions I have had the tyre catch the lip of the front guard. So I think it can be a bit of a raffle. I often think about going to 17" torque thrusts as I love the look of that convertible which has similar Coys rims and would probably just go 205 frt with a beefy rears. But would hate to buy the rims and tyres and have all sorts of fitment issues.
BTW I am no means expert but I think I have read that it is much better to go with mid eye of reverse eye springs than use the lowering blocks. Perhaps someone that knows a lot more than me will comment.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 08:24:01 am »
I think he's just using the blocks to see what the diff drops look like before ordering the new springs.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:26 am »
I think he's just using the blocks to see what the diff drops look like before ordering the new springs.
:thumb:

As I said almost everyone on here knows more about this stuff than I do. I was just conveying a memory from previous post. I had the  KFFL-59's fitted and the rears reset and couldn't be happier with the appearance improvement and also ride/handling.