Smok,n

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Smok,n  (Read 15196 times)

Offline Scoof

• L Plates
Smok,n
« on: September 09, 2005, 11:20:14 am »
Just a quick question, my 99' cobra seems to blow a small amount of smoke on start up sometime even after having the head reconditioned.  it has only travelled 60,000kms.  Would anyone out there have any suggestions?

Offline P-51Ride

• P Plates
Smok,n
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:07:46 am »
Not too sure scoof.  My friend's 2001 GT does the same thing at times.  He hasn't become concerned enough about it to check into it yet though. If it doesn't seem to be effecting performance or getting worse, you may want to just hold off on ripping the engine apart again.  A cobra engine is an entity of brute force, and it goes without saying that stresses on various components can cause wear and tear prematurely.........you aren't smoking off your radials or burying your speedometer needle on a regular basis are you???:*  lol.  
I'm no automechanic however.  If its bothering you then have someone look into it.  But I can tell you that a fare share of performance rides that friends of mine have owned in the past started spittin puffs on startup at some point in their life.
Best I can say is that as long as the smoke doesn't continue to pump out after it cranks up, then you probably don't have anything significant to worry about.

Offline Scoof

• L Plates
Smok,n
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 10:30:57 pm »
P-51 ride.  I have been thinking the same thing it's only at start up ocassionally.  I think the car may have been given a hard time by it's original owner prior to being imported into Australia.  It does not burn oil between service intervals. The heads were in pretty bad shape prior to having them reconditioned ( while they were off they were also ported polished and flowed) along with the cold air intake and MAF, also exhaust upgraded (380+ hp) without being dyno tested.  Thank for the advice.  I way post a photo soon.