1965 Power Steering Noise

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1965 Power Steering Noise  (Read 1829 times)

Offline mirage

• Pony
  • I'm new here
1965 Power Steering Noise
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:15:25 pm »
Hello All,
I have a 1965, 289 with power steering. Ever since I got it from the US it had an intermittent loud graunching sound and shudder through the steering when making hard left hand turns. At first it sounded like the left wheel was scraping on the fender but definitely not doing that.

I've gradually replaced all the steering components and suspension with new. I just replaced the power steering control valve and drag link. The only things now that aren't new are the pump, the power steering cylinder and the steering box.

Since putting the new control valve on and drag link the noise and shuddering is MUCH worse. Does it all the time turning the wheel to the left. If stationary any slight pressure applied and held to the left and the whole steering wheel shudders and a VERY loud graunching sound. Release the pressure and it stops.

Any suggestions? Dodgy new power steering control valve? Bad pump? Bad cylinder?

Regards, Scott.

Offline mirage

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Re: 1965 Power Steering Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 04:09:55 pm »
Anyone?

Offline Bucks

• Worked
  • Name: Dave
  • Car: 66 Fastback 289 4 speed
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:18:24 pm »
My pump was very noisy and juddery after a track day, i changed the fluid with castrol, but it was still noisy, not as bad.
I changed the fluid to the penrite power steering fluid and the judder and the noise has gone.
still a bit of noise out of pump on a cold start but 2 or 3 minutes after warming up its  nice and quiet.

Offline mirage

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 08:26:15 pm »
Thanks FBGT and Bucks.

I've double checked and am sure the short hoses aren't crossed. I don't think they would fit if they were crossed anyway. It doesn't do any weird movements of the steering wheel by itself, which I believe is a symptom of crossed hoses.

We took the control valve off and bench bled it. Then replaced it and bled the high pressure hose by loosening it whilst turning the wheel. It's much better now, doesn't make the noise anymore but still has a "notch" position turning to the left where the force turning the steering wheel suddenly reduces. Feels quite strange. Will probably try bleeding the hose fitting on the cylinder end as well and see if that improves it any.

Replacing the cylinder is probably the next move.

I have replaced the fluid a couple of times as I thought that may help but I don't think the noise was coming from the pump.