Cracked head

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Cracked head  (Read 2473 times)

Offline 66blackpony

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Adrian
  • Car: 1966 Mustang Coupe
Cracked head
« on: March 21, 2021, 11:15:27 am »
Hi
So i sent my heads off to get a refresh for my 289 and got them back just yesterday.
Upon masking one of the heads for a new paint job i came across this crack and just wanted some opinions on what you guys think. The guy who did the job for me didn't say anything about it but to me it looks pretty bad.
see attached image
Thanks

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
Re: Cracked head
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 01:28:58 pm »
 When you say, "sent away for a refresh" what exactly did this guy do for you, clean up, rebuild?  Seems to me if you discover a fault in any part in your care whether it be heads or block or whatever you would consult with the owner before doing any further work and subsequent expense,  Bit more info required..., And if you found the crack he most certainly would have.

How long have you had the car, the concern would be what caused it, if the engine has been 'cooked' by a previous owner, and if it is only limited to the one head,
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:40:55 pm by Reborn67 »

Offline 66blackpony

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Adrian
  • Car: 1966 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 06:23:25 pm »
So when i say refresh i probably say rebuild. Decked, new valve stems, new valveguides, new springs etc.. and he did mention that one head and one side of the block had a little warping to it so it had been cooked at some stage but he sorted that out as part of the machine work with no mention of the crack that i found. One would think this crack may have been the problem to begin with? i don't know, im not an engine builder and certainty not a mechanic but you a 100% correct in saying that i should've been made aware of it and maybe find an alternative solution instead of spending the money on rebuilding the pair i gave him.
Ive had the car for 2 years and was running when first purchased but never drove it as the car was striped and rebuild straight away. The Engine is the last item left for the car to be completed.
 Ive also checked the other head and can't see anything but again, i wonder if they were checked at all using a magnetic particle inspection..

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 07:14:03 pm »
 First of all I want to point out that I am not a mechanic, just a car enthusiast with an engineering background, but if that where mine I would have serious concerns,
Any cracking to a cast engine component is serious business, it is now a fault in the integrity of the casting, what is unknown is how deep the crack goes and how does it react when the engine heats up, and will it get any bigger in time, There are plenty of other guys on this forum that have more hands on knowledge that could give you advice on this, Good luck with it.., Andrew.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 01:43:53 pm »
If it is a standard head, i would get another one and make that guy redo it for free for not noticing something so obvious as a crack as big as kim kardashians ____!  :lmao:

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 05:18:24 pm »
you crack me up.

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 03:32:00 pm »
That's just crooked. Get your money back and go somewhere else.

Offline 188 LVU

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 11:14:35 am »
Are you sure that's one that you gave them ? ?   Would you not have noticed this before you sent it for re-work ?  Have they swapped yours for some other one along the way ?  Maybe take it back and show him what you've found then watch his reaction.

PKJ

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 03:50:52 pm »
Agreed, parts swapping is not uncommon and that's why its always a good idea to photograph or mark everything before you send things off.

In this case, you could check casting dates on your heads. This will give you a guide if someone has done the unthinkable and swapped one or both of the heads.