Reputable car importers

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Reputable car importers  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Cougarmanoeuverer

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Holmqui
Reputable car importers
« on: February 27, 2021, 06:36:22 am »
Gday guys, I'm trying to get into the mustang market. I've recently crashed a mercury cougar and am looking at either another one or a mustang. I'm pretty keen on importing as I've seen a few I like in the states. Has anyone imported that knows of a good importing mob to work with? Also does anybody know how much it would cost to do this. I've never done it before and I've heard covid is making a bit of money out of it at the moment through extra taxes. Can anyone shed light on this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a little hesitant to go head first into doing this as I've heard a couple horror stories.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Reputable car importers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 09:48:32 am »
Be very very careful importing a car that you haven’t seen or touched . I have used cargo clear in Brisbane before and they ship out of long beach CA .  Be  careful buying a car from snowy states  . Better buying here but prices are at a high and who knows what’s going to happen with that .  It will cost you $4,000 ish if you do it yourself to  import and ship from long beach ,plus GST on the car . Barnett 468 from here may be able to help you from CA side .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:50:25 am by GLENN 70 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 01:10:25 pm »
California Shippers. I have shipped several hundred cars with them. and lots of ozzies use them. Steve Lond of Mustangs of Melbourne used them exclusively for 30 years.

http://www.calship.com/

If you find one in the so cal area, I can probably inspect it for you or possibly even find you one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:13:37 pm by barnett468 »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 01:12:26 pm »
If you find one in the so cal area, I can probably inspect it for you or possibly even fund you one.

Can you please fund one for me too   :cheers:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 01:14:07 pm »
Can you please fund one for me too   :cheers:

damn ozzies

:kickass:

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 11:04:10 am »
I used these guys - https://www.facebook.com/americawest66 and know quite a few people that have (no issues), they are WA based but believe they ship everywhere

As others have said, the challenge is finding the right car (as more importantly, having trust in the seller because at some point you are likely to part with your $ before you take the car). I ended up purchasing via ebay (and private), had all the potential to go pair shaped but owner was good (and identifiable, linkedin etc - was a well know guy, not about to blow his reputation over a 30k)

Summary - my theory is (and flame suit on)

Cheap - go local (coupe, project car etc)
Rare ish - import (race, FB etc - more choice state side)
Expensive - go local (shelby, boss) - the LCT kills the benefit

cheers

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 11:20:51 am »
And the accountant in me says:

Always confirm the banking details via a couple of different methods. Always pick up the phone and actually speak to them personally as well.

Never trust banking details provided via email, as I personally know of many examples of emails being intercepted and false account details being sent instead. Once the money is on it's way, you'll never get it back again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 11:52:12 am »
If I were to import a car it would be from southern CA for starters and I would ask if Barnett would check the car or find one and pay him a fee  no problems . I trust Mike and have bought cars off him before

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 01:17:42 pm »
If I were to import a car it would be from southern CA for starters and I would ask if Barnett would check the car or find one and pay him a fee  no problems . I trust Mike and have bought cars off him before

I miss that wicked supercharged camaro, lol.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 06:57:04 pm »
So do I   :grin: . And we don’t talk chev here it’s a mustang site  :grin:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 04:28:24 pm »
So do I   :grin: . And we don’t talk chev here it’s a mustang site  :grin:

I got no reply.  :lmao: