2015 Mustang GT Convertible engine wiring harness short / melt

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 2015 Mustang GT Convertible engine wiring harness short / melt  (Read 5091 times)

Offline dabump

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Martin
  • Car: 2015 Mustang GT
Good morning all. First post here. I want to find out if anybody had a similar issue to what I'm having.

In December 2019 (less than a month ago) I bought a 2015 Mustang GT convertible (S550) from a Ford dealership in Armidale. It was the dealer principles own car, and had around 11k km, and visually in really good condition. The owner really looked after the car and looked brand new.

After my drive home to Sydney (around 2 days after the purchase), the 'Check Engine Light' came on. I've got one of those Bluetooth OBD scanners, and the error code was P0152 (O2 sensor).

At first, I cleared the code to see if it comes back, and almost immediately after I cleared the code, the computer would warn that it's in a pending state, and after a couple of start cycles, will confirm the error code, and the check engine light will come on again.

This car is under warranty, so after the first two visits back to the dealership, the car was booked in for replacement of the O2 sensor. That arvo when I picked up the car, check engine light was on again. The car has gone back now for the fourth time, and this time around, the inspection revealed that the engine wiring harness melted and the whole thing needs to be replaced. The car is currently at the ford dealership in castle hill and will take a week to replace the harness.

Has anybody experienced or heard of something similar to my issue? I am however losing faith in the long term reliability of the car now. The positive experience for me is the way both dealerships are treating me. Very helpful and with respect, which I appreciate.

Martin

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
Re: 2015 Mustang GT Convertible engine wiring harness short / melt
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:09 am »
Hi Martin. There was this recall for Mustangs possibly in your build date.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/531285/2015-16-ford-mustang-gt-recalled-for-fire-risk/

I wouldn't be worried once it is fixed though.
Plenty of them around without problems.

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:54:58 am »
Makes you wonder why it was not done by the dealer. Mine was subject to the recall and described as the battery harness upgrade 15S40, part number SRCC16D128B, done in March 2017. Covered under warranty.

Offline malscar

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 03:47:37 pm »
Not unusual for a car purporting to be the Dealer Principal's car not having the recalls done. Bought one which was 5 months old. Supposedly the dealer principal's wife's car. When I got it back home and it went in for the first service for me, it had 3 recalls that had not been done. Showed me why we all should check these things. Once the recall has been done they are meant to place a sticker showing the recall has been done. In my case it was put by the dealer who actually carried the recall out on the body next to the driver's door hinge.

Offline dabump

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Martin
  • Car: 2015 Mustang GT
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:21:12 pm »
I asked the service agent if any recalls were done or any outstanding. No recalls were done on the car since 2015 and nothing outstanding for it too. Is there a website where you can verify myself? (ie, with Jeep, you can use the VIN number, and you can check online for any outstanding work)

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:35:08 am »
Try Ford Etis.