Thin Paint - Chips Easily

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Thin Paint - Chips Easily  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Rocco77

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Jeff
Thin Paint - Chips Easily
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:23:42 am »
Hi,

Just bought a 2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT and after closer inspection at home I have noticed a lot of chips in the paintwork, particularly in front of the rear wheels.

I have a Mitsubishi Outlander that I have had for two years and it has been used in on & off road with not one chip on the car. Just a couple of small dings in doors, though paint intact.

Is this a typical scenario with the Mustangs or I am wondering if my paint work is dodgy.

Thanks

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Thin Paint - Chips Easily
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:42:27 am »
Wow you should see my deep impact blue mustang ,talk about stone chips ,mine is F ed

Offline Rocco77

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:22:45 pm »
OK, so its not just my car!!

I nearly bought a black Mustang, though I thought I would be on the safe side with Lightning Blue.

Anyway, still love the colour!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:43:03 pm »
Nope your not the only one . Deep impact blue , lighting blue and ruby red are the worst offenders . Mine got checked last Friday by the dealer and they said it was just normal wear and tear and stone chips ,so ford would reject any claim .  15,000 klms on the clock and a city driven car and never driven more than around 100 klms from my house in any direction . My front bar is totally stone chipped everywhere and a few on the hood ,none on my head lights ,front number plate ,driving lights or grill . The front of the rear guards are stone chipped bad also .  Mirrors are not very good either . Paint was tested for thickness and it came up ok ,it's just soft paint and water base paint that is crap .

Offline Pete Gala

• Pony
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 2017 Mustang GT
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:12:44 pm »
Hi,

Just bought a 2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT and after closer inspection at home I have noticed a lot of chips in the paintwork, particularly in front of the rear wheels.

I have a Mitsubishi Outlander that I have had for two years and it has been used in on & off road with not one chip on the car. Just a couple of small dings in doors, though paint intact.

Is this a typical scenario with the Mustangs or I am wondering if my paint work is dodgy.

Thanks

Nope mine as well. It’s super soft paint for some reason? Only oprion I think we have is to repair chips properly (paint resto) then clear bra it.