Roush gt axle back too loud!!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Roush gt axle back too loud!!  (Read 9838 times)

Offline BlackSally

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Todd
  • Car: 2016 convertible
Roush gt axle back too loud!!
« on: May 14, 2018, 06:19:01 pm »
Howdy Mustangers!

Picked up a stock 2016 gt convertible about six weeks ago since then I’ve added an Airaid cold air intake, oem lower front grille, dash mat (glare is shocking!), SR performance X pipe and deleted the resonator....now I’ve just put on the Roush gt axle back (with black tips) BUT it’s just too loud!!! Ive got a cradle lock out kit coming too
Back to the pipes It sounds absolutely awesome and honestly it would wake the dead. Put it in a dB meter cold start 95db warm idle 84db (that’s fine) 4800 rpm the whole neighbourhood hears it

It’s so loud I had two young men in a modified RX7 (you get the picture) they didn’t want to play because my car was much louder!!!

Here’s the problem though ...it’s noticeably more powerful!!

The x pipe was $200 vs $800 for the axle back so first is to put the resonator back on see if that quietens it down enough to not be cop bait but still sound the business.

Do I Put the resonator back on just to quieten it down or do I just drive like miss daisy around the neighbourhood?? Any thoughts comments appreciated any else finding similar problem??

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Re: Roush gt axle back too loud!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 07:00:05 pm »
Welcome Todd. If it sounds okay by just taking off normally without too much acceleration then it should be okay. If you are not comfortable with the noise level doing that then you should look at quietening it down a bit. I have read other forum comments about just an x-pipe being too loud so your are not alone in your thoughts. The resonator should do the trick I would think. I put a Bora catback on mine and it sounds good, not too loud, and the resonator is still on.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 07:07:01 pm »
As far as I know putting the resonator back on work do anything about the loud noise . The mustangs are loud on cold start up anyway . Changing the Roush axle back is the only way out . A mate of mine just fitted the Roush axle back system  only , and yes it's very loud on cold start up and when you get up it ,cruising is ok . Mine is ok because all I did was change the rear mufflers ,loud when I get up it but nice on start up and cruising .

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:11:59 pm »
Thanks Glenn, that clarifies the query about reinstalling the resonator

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:08 pm »
A resonator only stops the exhaust resonating and is not a muffler . They are straight through pipes encased like a muffler and filled with packing so you don't get that boom boom sound inside the car . I think changing the mufflers is the only way . My mates is too loud also .

Offline BlackSally

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:37:39 pm »
Thanks gents ... when I put the cradle lock out kit on i’ll Try the resonator back on and just see ... I had the x pipe on with the stock muffler and it did make those noticeably louder. With both x pipe and Roush mufflers unfortunately it goes from being very cool to obnoxious and over the top... although it is fun being the loudest I just need to turn it down to an 8 rather than 11 !!!

This probably on another thread but I’m hoping the lock out kit can stop the hop and get my 0-100 down into the high 4s instead of a PB of 5.2 (it a convertible)

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:00:42 pm »
I did the rear mufflers and a K&N panel filter and it picked up 25 HP at the wheels on the dyno ,got 351HP from 325 HP . Now with a tune has 371HP and runs 12.4 @114 mph on the strip . GT v8 auto . Not a axle back or a cat back exhaust only the rear mufflers .  Should run a 11.9 if I play with it a bit more or close to it . 

Offline BlackSally

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 05:08:52 pm »
Good news Mustangers,

So I’ve swapped out the x pipe for the stock resonator and that did the trick. It’s quietened down so it’s not obnoxiously loud and now has a menacing rumble at idle and a great bark when you get on it!!!

The x pipe definitely helped performance but it was just way too loud for a daily driver.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 09:50:14 pm »
Glad it worked out for you

Offline JSM

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: julian
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 03:46:08 pm »
I drove a 2017 GT with the Roush Cat back system and found it way to loud for everyday (and the auto made it "worse"!) settled on just the axle back fitted up by Mustang Motorsport and what an awesome all rounder, barks when you need it however when cruising on anything from 80 to 110 barely can hear it ! very clever exhaust!

Offline JSM

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: julian
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 03:47:27 pm »
Oh, and should have mentioned, an absolute bargain as far as price is concerned and has one of the best looking / balanced tips at the rear!