67 Coupe - Vapourizer

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 67 Coupe - Vapourizer  (Read 22056 times)

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
  • Name: Steve
67 Coupe - Vapourizer
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »
I've been lurking around for a while and thought I should post my resto story too.

Like so many others, this build wasn't going to be a big or long resto, just fix it up and have some fun.... but we know how that turns out  :lmao:   It has been a long journey, I've had the car for a little over 18 years and it's never been on the road, it's traveled to QLD & back when I temporarily relocated for work, been in storage because of only having rentals with no places to work on her.... but, she's been a passion for such a long time that it's now time to get her finished and enjoy the ride.

I picked up the old girl as a rolling jigsaw puzzle, boxes of bits and no idea of what was missing but was prepared to give it a go (as this is / was my first build  of any sort).

It all looked relatively straight to start with but as I started to scratch the surface, well, not everything was what it seemed.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
Re: 67 Coupe - Vapourizer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:38:58 pm »
Welcome to this forum Steve. 67 Coupes are such a great looking ride, but I may be biased as I have had mine for 12 years now. What are your plans? Are you going factory std or resto mod or ??? Mine is still a 289 C-code auto White with black interior. I get lots of fun from it and lots of compliments too. Good luck.  :thumb:  :event:  :burnout: :coolpic:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:39:43 pm »
Hopefully things start falling into place for you to make some decent progress on the build.

What have you got planned for the car?

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:40:27 pm »
On closer inspection I find that the previous owner decided to replace the rear qtr, but instead of getting new replacements he gets a rear qtr section from a junked mustang. He unpicks some of qtr (at the door jam and roof sail (if you call it that) but the just cuts  around the inner wheel well and past the tail lights so he doesn't have to unpick & weld all those spotwelds.

Puts it all back on, over laps the inner wheel well but welds the tail panel and all looks good, well, that was until you try and close the trunk... guess what, no boot gap, I think someone forgot to allow for the 2mm cutting blade width of the grinder, and cut the wrong side of the line.   Looking down the qtr and the line is just awful :(

The rocker panel, isn't much better, it's had a hit at some time and now full of holes to try and pull it out straight but it looks like Swiss cheese; the door wasn't much better so, what the heck, whilst we're at it we'll replace that too.

So, first job for this first time build is...... replace a whole lot of sheet metal.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:44:34 pm »
Welcome to this forum Steve. 67 Coupes are such a great looking ride, but I may be biased as I have had mine for 12 years now. What are your plans? Are you going factory std or resto mod or ??? Mine is still a 289 C-code auto White with black interior. I get lots of fun from it and lots of compliments too. Good luck.  :thumb:  :event:  :burnout: :coolpic:

Thanks for the welcome IGALOP, since I can only post 4 photos I'll slowly build out the story but it's now on the mild restomod path .....

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:46:03 pm »
Hopefully things start falling into place for you to make some decent progress on the build.

What have you got planned for the car?

Hi Dwayne, the plans are well underway ... I'll keep adding posts to the thread to build the story & plan out :)

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:58:00 pm »
After this bit of work is when things started to take a turn for the ... worst :D

I was in search of an engine as the one that came with it was also in bits, I'd rebuilt an engine in the past but was looking for something what had been running to start with an not a rusted boat anchor......

I found an 87 mustang GT HO 5.0 in the Trading Post, complete with ECU, harness and C6 transmission, seemed fair enough, it's a Winsdor right... how hard could this be.  Now I didn't have an engine hoist to drop it into the old girl but my mate did have a cherry picker.... the things we do when you're younger and .....

After plenty of research on the interweb I was able to find plenty of information about how to get running with only the minimum sensors, etc., so that took some time but at the end of the day way able to get it running.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:11:33 pm »
ooohhhh ... just realised that I got the engine before the panel replacement!  :lmao:

With that done I moved onto making it stop and steer, so:
      - RRS power Rack
      - RRS 287mm Rear brakes
      - Hoppers Stoppers 330mm Front brakes
      - Flaming River tilt column
      - Lokar tunnel mount e-brake

Things were going pretty well whilst in QLD so I decided to spoil myself a little so I bought a set of Foose Nitros II 's, I located a guy in Aus that was bringing them in but he was asking for huge $$$ so I shopped around a little. I hooked up with Westcoast wheels in the US, they we able to supply the wheels and ship them to my door for less than 1/2 the price of what the guy in Perth was quoting me... So, I did the right thing, and ordered them from the US :)  two weeks later they turn up at my door... wait for it.... with rubber on them !! 235x45x18 & 245x40x18   now that was a bargain.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:35:36 pm by aus_67stang »

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 10:40:26 pm »
A little more tinkering in preparation for painting and find rust, in the floor .. so that gets patch and we think we're good to go for a paint.... a few things happen and we're heading home back to Melbourne.

Fast forward a little ...

I've never really liked the way the seat belts are fitted from the roof rail or run over the shoulder near the door jam, so I was looking for an alternative, and found something a little different that would do the job; BMW seats  :bolt:  Yes, BMW seats.

The 330 Coupes & Convertibles have a nice seat that has the seat belt built into the seat, that'll resolve the mounting issues. Sure, but that brings on a whole other set of problems, mounting them.  So I located an engineer and work with him to design a structure to support the seats and have enough strength to accept the forces in case of an accident.

More fabrication work, replace the floor and we're all good.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:49:47 pm »
A couple of photos from the test fit.

As you can see from the photo, I also lashed out and topped off the steering column with a nice Flaming River waterfall wheel.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:57:30 pm by aus_67stang »

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 11:20:22 pm »
Right, all ready to go off for paint.... I better buy some qtr end caps before I send her off, fit them up to see how it looks..... uuummm... somethings not quite right.

So, it appears that the right qtr has been hit as well and shrunk or pulled back into some sort of shape, so you guessed it, off with this qtr panel too and on with a new one.

Now the car is off and getting painted, a side job for a guy so it's taking some time but whilst its away it means I can keep rebuilding stuff.

First is the dash cluster, replaced all the gauges with Stewart Warner electronic gauges, fitted behind a new RHD panel; It's a 68 panel but I like the "correct" RHD version, one came with the car that had been plastic welded to RHD but looked less than impressive but this is pretty good IMO.

Next was the fuel pump setup. I didn't want to have fuel surge issues so went with an external tank swirl pot setup, it has a low pressure / high volume feeding into the swirl pot with the high pressure pump on the other side. The swirl pot is actually a filter as well and has a return port built into the setup, I got this from BC Bronko's in the US.  This will sit between the diff and the tank with the return going into the drain plug of the tank.

Next was the engine, since I was putting it into a nice clean body and everything else was looking good it was only right that I freshened up the engine too. So stripped back down, cleaned and painted everything and all back together. I did add some extra goodies whilst I was at it, a set of polished Aluminum Covers, an EGR Eliminator, and an upgraded the Alt to a 130A unit; all of these bit from Late Model Mustang in the US.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:40:29 pm by aus_67stang »

Offline bigmal

• Worked
  • A never ending project
  • Name: Mal
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:04:39 am »
That's coming along very nicely. I used the same engine in a Shelby Cobra I built a few years ago. Very smooth although in hindsight I should have used an after market ECU as I was never happy with the original ECU and bypassed sensors.
69 Mach 1

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:05:34 am »
That's coming along very nicely. I used the same engine in a Shelby Cobra I built a few years ago. Very smooth although in hindsight I should have used an after market ECU as I was never happy with the original ECU and bypassed sensors.
x1000

I have the original ecu/connectors, and while I have made it work with great success, there is absolutely no support for the older ford stuff anymore, plus genuine sensors are bloody expensive.
I am most likely upgrading to a megasquirt pro, getting rid of the dizzy and using gm sensors.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 08:30:49 am »
x1000

I have the original ecu/connectors, and while I have made it work with great success, there is absolutely no support for the older ford stuff anymore, plus genuine sensors are bloody expensive.
I am most likely upgrading to a megasquirt pro, getting rid of the dizzy and using gm sensors.

thanks for the heads up guys,
I've got a number of plugs / bypass "things" from Ron Morris and LMR in the US that are meant to remove the error codes from the ECU and make it think they are still connected, so hopefully that will be good for now.

After such a long build and waiting to get it on the road I'm making a bit of a straight line to the finish and trying to avoid extra detours along the way; I've had a few of those already and the wife now wants it done.

But, that does give me something to think about as the next update once on the road, along with the Supercharger  :evilone:

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 09:16:06 am »
Other bits and plans...

Bits
I travel to the US a couple of times a year for work so it's an easy way to bring back cheaper parts without the shipping costs, just have everything shipped to the hotel the week before and they are waiting for me when I arrive... a little bit like Christmas each time I visit.

Other bits that are still sitting on the shelf:
  • full body bolt kit
  • American Autowire upgrade kit
  • California Pony Cars Shelby Bullet mirrors
  • Magnaflow stainless square oval exhaust tips
  • Central locking kit
  • Dual circuit engine mobiliser
  • Mustang Depot triangulated x brace
  • some new interior & exterior shiny bits

The Plan

Things on the plan that I need to work out include changing over from at Auto to a T5 manual, there's plenty of info on the change and how to use a EB 6 pot falcon T5 so that part is pretty easy, the main challenge is going to be the clutch setup. I "think" the better option is going to be sourcing an early falcon pedal box and graft it into the mustang assembly, I'd prefer a hydraulic clutch so not sure which way to go with that; Modern Driveline have a good setup but not sure about the other options... any suggestions??

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 09:47:37 am »

The Plan

Things on the plan that I need to work out include changing over from at Auto to a T5 manual, there's plenty of info on the change and how to use a EB 6 pot falcon T5 so that part is pretty easy, the main challenge is going to be the clutch setup. I "think" the better option is going to be sourcing an early falcon pedal box and graft it into the mustang assembly, I'd prefer a hydraulic clutch so not sure which way to go with that; Modern Driveline have a good setup but not sure about the other options... any suggestions??

UI think the general consensus for the clutch is to go with a setup from Mal Wood.

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 11:12:23 am »
Hi,

Looks good so far :-)  I like the filter/swirl pot.

BTW did you use the RRS spindles/hubs when you installed the rack?  I think you have to as it will impact the turning circle of the car.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 11:51:53 am »
UI think the general consensus for the clutch is to go with a setup from Mal Wood.

Thanks Dwayne,
I've contacted Mal Wood to get some info from them.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 11:54:10 am »
BTW did you use the RRS spindles/hubs when you installed the rack?  I think you have to as it will impact the turning circle of the car.

I've just used the stock spindles, I haven't had everything hooked up at once to be able to check the turning circle (yet), it'll be something I'll have to remember and check during the assembly stage.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 02:03:01 pm »

Yeah i used an au xr6 t5. Not sure on the eb's, but most of the 6cyl t5's had a shorter input shaft, which means the v8 t5 bellhousing's wont work. You can get a conversion bellhousing from Dellow, which is what I used. The stock falcon v8 bellhousing are also no good for most conversion as they have the starter on the lhd side. The local v8's also had a longer input shaft than the us mustangs ha ha.....way to go australia
I used the Malwood hydraulic setup. Definitely the way to go. You send him up the pedal box and the t5 bearing retainer, and you will get back the underdash clutch master setup, a machined bearing retainer to suit the hydraulic throw out bearing, plus the throw out bearing and fluid reservoir. The clutch is so smooth and light. Almost 3000km's and no dramas so far.

I also used the american autowire harness, plus installed central locking and power windows if you need any pointers with it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:21:20 pm by Husky65 »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 03:50:06 pm »
No experience with the Mal wood set up but I have the Modern Driveline hydraulic gear in mine and have been very happy with it.

I really think its worth getting the first gear in the T5 changed from the common low 3.35 to 2.95 unless you plan on a pretty tall diff ratio. Otherwise you render first gear more or less redundant. That said, I think Husky has the 3.35 in his with 3.55 diff and finds it OK so he may want to comment.

If you don't use an internal concentric throw out bearing like Mal's or the Tilton one I have and stick with a conventional fork and bearing you need to change the bearing support to a steel one. The original aluminium ones wear as the bearing travels along them and get scored and scratched and end up binding.

Also, put a short shifter on it at the outset. The original ones have way too long a throw when you put a relatively long lever on them like you need on an early Mustang and it's pretty much impossible to change the shifter with the trans in the car. Ask me how I know.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 05:36:53 pm »
Yeah i used an au xr6 t5. Not sure on the eb's, but most of the 6cyl t5's had a shorter input shaft, which means the v8 t5 bellhousing's wont work. You can get a conversion bellhousing from Dellow, which is what I used. The stock falcon v8 bellhousing are also no good for most conversion as they have the starter on the lhd side. The local v8's also had a longer input shaft than the us mustangs ha ha.....way to go australia
I used the Malwood hydraulic setup. Definitely the way to go. You send him up the pedal box and the t5 bearing retainer, and you will get back the underdash clutch master setup, a machined bearing retainer to suit the hydraulic throw out bearing, plus the throw out bearing and fluid reservoir. The clutch is so smooth and light. Almost 3000km's and no dramas so far.

I also used the american autowire harness, plus installed central locking and power windows if you need any pointers with it.

Thanks Husky,

I'm looking at the pre-AU T5 as it has the shorter housing and the shifter lines up with the original floor hole and trans cross member.  What did the setup from Malwood cost you?
Happy for any pointers with the wiring too, the kit looks pretty comprehensive

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »
Yeah that's right, the extension housing is longer on the au's, and I had to relocate the crossmember back as well as the shifter hole. To be honest, having the shifter back a few inches makes it a bit more comfy, but not at the worth of all that work if you don't have to.

It was around 690 for the pedal conversion, around 500 for the thrust bearing, shims, braided lines and reservoir. This was a couple years ago now so may have changed.
I got all the clutch/shifter etc from the states via ebay...much cheaper.
Also, replace the shifter cup bushing with a bronze one you can buy on ebay. The plastic one is pretty crappy, and the bronze one did firm up the shift a fair bit.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 06:21:32 pm »

I really think its worth getting the first gear in the T5 changed from the common low 3.35 to 2.95 unless you plan on a pretty tall diff ratio. Otherwise you render first gear more or less redundant. That said, I think Husky has the 3.35 in his with 3.55 diff and finds it OK so he may want to comment.

Yeah I have the 3.35 first with 3.55 rears. While I think it would be better with the 2.95, it's not like it's undrivable or anything. You just have to shift VERY quickly if you're going more than 50%. When I rebuild this box, I will probably change it, but I wouldn't spend extra money for the sake of the first gear ratio from the get go.

Offline aus_67stang

• Pony
    • Build page on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 06:37:18 pm »
No experience with the Mal wood set up but I have the Modern Driveline hydraulic gear in mine and have been very happy with it.

If you don't use an internal concentric throw out bearing like Mal's or the Tilton one I have and stick with a conventional fork and bearing you need to change the bearing support to a steel one. The original aluminium ones wear as the bearing travels along them and get scored and scratched and end up binding.

Also, put a short shifter on it at the outset. The original ones have way too long a throw when you put a relatively long lever on them like you need on an early Mustang and it's pretty much impossible to change the shifter with the trans in the car. Ask me how I know.

Thanks Geoff, a short shifter is definitely on the list, seems to be a must have for many reasons.... and good to know to put it in first before installing the gearbox.

Also thanks for the extra info on the throw out bearing and the support / retainer.