Hidden car antennas

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Hidden car antennas  (Read 14001 times)

Offline Ford Compact 1963

• Worked
  • I'm new here
Re: Hidden car antennas
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:24 pm »
Ok so no one has even he powered ones under dash and had success ?

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 04:17:29 pm »
I am currently looking at alternatives for mounting an antenna to get decent reception on the FM band. The fender mounting is not an option. I currently have a metal mast antenna hidden inside the car and it does ok, kind of, as long as the radio station is close by. I have tried a number of hidden antennas inside the car and these are junk in an old car (in my opinion). I just ordered a 300mm long rubber boat mast antenna off Ebay and will have a crack at mounting this in behind the grille. Hopefully it will work?
Other than that, does anyone else have any other ideas?

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 06:52:54 pm »
I am currently looking at alternatives for mounting an antenna to get decent reception on the FM band. The fender mounting is not an option. I currently have a metal mast antenna hidden inside the car and it does ok, kind of, as long as the radio station is close by. I have tried a number of hidden antennas inside the car and these are junk in an old car (in my opinion). I just ordered a 300mm long rubber boat mast antenna off Ebay and will have a crack at mounting this in behind the grille. Hopefully it will work?
Other than that, does anyone else have any other ideas?
Ditch FM altogether & buy one of the Pure Highway DAB+ adaptors. I bought mine off ebay (from the UK) & couldn't be happier. It has a tiny stick-on aerial that sits at the top corner of my windscreen. You can hardly see it & the reception in metro Melbourne is brilliant. I've got mine connected to the AUX input of my CAS USA-66 but I believe it also has an FM modulator built in.

Evan.

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 08:06:43 pm »
You can buy a hidden aerial which is a small black oblong about 50 mm long and needs a power wire to it. I have one in our 65 which is hidden behind the seat belt on the parcel shelf. Works reasonably well on the outskirts of the city but doesn't last long on country roads. Also installed one in another car which does not work at all and then realised it can't receive through a film tinted window.

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 09:53:15 pm »
Ditch FM altogether & buy one of the Pure Highway DAB+ adaptors. I bought mine off ebay (from the UK) & couldn't be happier. It has a tiny stick-on aerial that sits at the top corner of my windscreen. You can hardly see it & the reception in metro Melbourne is brilliant. I've got mine connected to the AUX input of my CAS USA-66 but I believe it also has an FM modulator built in.

Evan.
Thanks for sharing. Can you post any pictures of what you have installed and also a link on what you purchased?
When you say ditch FM altogether, are you saying that you pick up the radio stations via digital signal?

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 09:55:47 pm »
You can buy a hidden aerial which is a small black oblong about 50 mm long and needs a power wire to it. I have one in our 65 which is hidden behind the seat belt on the parcel shelf. Works reasonably well on the outskirts of the city but doesn't last long on country roads. Also installed one in another car which does not work at all and then realised it can't receive through a film tinted window.
I tried a powered amplified version of one of these and found it to just not work... I've tried a number of options inside the car and think outside the car is the only decent way to get a decent signal...

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 10:20:28 pm »
I found that you can purchase antenna cable splitters. Has anyone tried fitting two antennas to the one radio? Would this help with getting a better signal?