69 boss restoration

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 69 boss restoration  (Read 11778 times)

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
  • Name: Greg
69 boss restoration
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:28:29 pm »
Gday, chasing a bit of advice if anyone can help.
My brother and I are restoring our late fathers 69 boss 302.

Luckily the car was 90% complete but just a few small things missing.
I cant seem to source an original aircleaner and snorkle in australia! Found a snorkle in the states but still not an aircleaner.
Trying to keep this car as original as we can minus the right hand conversion.
Also we have original rocker covers but ones got a big dent in it and they both need rechroming.
Cant find anywhere that sells reproduction ones but can anyone recommend somewhere in S.A to get these fixed.
Thankyou
Greg

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: 69 boss restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »
Welcome Greg ,but arnt boss valve covers alloy .

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 09:58:47 pm »
Hi glen.
I dunno about the 70 boss but the original 69 valve covers are chrome, with Power by ford stamped on them, also with 8 bolt holes to suit the cleveland heads.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum Greg. Original Boss air cleaners and snorkels can be hard to find. Mine was missing the snorkel and I put up posts on the Boss forum and searched high and low. Ended up finding one from another member of the Mustang Owners Club here in SA that happened to have one. Be careful of ones listed on ebay as there are often some listed that are poor reproductions but are expensive to buy. You could try posting a wanted post on the Boss302 forum or alternatively give Sean at Bosskraft a call (refer link on the right of this page). You can also check the 69 valve cover issue with Sean at Bosskraft.

Mark

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »
Cheers mark. Yeah hard to find alright. Be easier trying to make one i rekn.
That boss302.com seem like its stoped being looked after, tried signing up a frw months ago but no love.
Thanks for your help , might try sean then.
Cheers

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:19:48 pm »
Well there you go ,i thought they came with either chrome or alloy ,and i know 70 boss covesr were  different to the 69 in chrome .I dont know much about boss mustangs  ,well a bit but not a lot .

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:48 pm »
Boss302.com is very much alive but I also had difficulty registering when I first tried but eventually was successful. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on there and the site itself has very useful info when you search the threads. Sean does have good contacts for Boss parts so see how you go there.

Offline aussie trev

• Worked
  • you must have toys
  • Name: trevor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »
Greg the chrome covers you have ,you should have them repaired and re-chromed. they fetch up to 1k for a great pair,you could fix yours for that. You can replace  with alloy ones one in the mean time. people change them because you can have roller rockers under them,which the early chrome ones are to short and hit.

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:52 pm »
Thanks trev. That gives me something to go off anyway, ill take the covers in and get a repair cost for them. The car has just been soda blasted and is getting some dings knocked out before paint goes on.
Got a heap to do just to get car ready for my wedding in october.

When it comes to putting original motor back together still havent found some in S. A we'd trust doing it . Heard some bad stories of people sending their rare ford blocks off for rebuild and they go "missing" .

Anyone in S.A it'd be good to hear some positive reports on a trusted engine builder.
Cheers

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:37:23 pm »
Speak with Jeremy at Image Classic Cars. He arranged a rebuild of my Boss motor and it was an exceptional job.

Website link  http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au

Offline jademustang

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 10:25:14 pm »
Greg, I'll send you a private message with my mobile number, give me a call I can put you in touch with one of the best engine builders in Adelaide.

Offline skip70

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
Greg, keep at the Boss302 registry membership first up, I've been a member for a long time, the best, knowledgeable people on this model are only a question away. Perhaps post a wanted add when you join. Valve covers, + 1 on aussie trev's advice, fix them up would be my advice (find an old school body man to do them properly). The air cleaners are generally expensive IF you can separate one from its owner but you can get lucky with lots of research. Good luck with it and post a pic when your done.
cheers

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 03:52:11 pm »
 :agree:

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 07:33:23 pm »
Cheers guys , managed to log into boss302.com and have a snoop around, that'l be handy as the bulid continues.
Currently emailing  sean from bosskraft, he sounds keen to help.
Good to learn as much as possible about this car as i go along, these forums are great.

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »
picture of the mirrors I found that are ment to suit the boss, found them in a box, appears something has broken off, no idea what they are ment to look like but cant see how this fits to the door skin, but can only seem to buy new mirrors for $190, no bits and pieces for them, will put some pictures up next week, when we get some yellow on it :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:38:02 pm by Greg H »

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 07:03:27 am »
Thats a pretty nasty pixilated picture, but cant seem to make it any smaller with good quality.

Offline jademustang

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 08:06:44 pm »
Greg, here is yours;

here is mine, part of your outer cover that the trim screws onto is missing;

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
How bout a swap? Haha. Ah bugger, looks like that outter casing half slips over what ive already got. Nothing looks really snapped off. I have a new bezel nut to suit,maybe wreckers are my best option.
Thanks for your help with that. No wonder the mirror was off the car.

Offline ND69

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 10:26:16 pm »
Snoop around on us ebay, occasionally these original toggle ends come up for sale..