Rust proofing advice needed

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Rust proofing advice needed  (Read 30507 times)

Offline Small Block

• Worked
Re: Rust proofing advice needed
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 06:23:00 am »
Are there any Tectyl believers in here?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 08:26:42 am »
Are there any Tectyl believers in here?

Yes. fisholene first to soak in, then sealed with Tecyle, Worth make a similar wax.

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 10:35:36 am »
Yes. fisholene first to soak in, then sealed with Tecyle, Worth make a similar wax.
Fisholene first, then Tectyl? I had never heard of doing it that way. I thought it was a matter of using one product of the other?

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 10:49:41 am »
I've had good results using Deoxidene which contains Phosphoric Acid. Paint it on, wait for it to turn black, wash it off, dry and paint.
It's available from automotive paint suppliers.

Offline mp1718

• Stallion
  • One day this thing will be finished....
  • Name: Mal
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 09:23:58 pm »
This might sound weird but I've found 'Penetrol' successful in stopping rust in the bottom of doors etc. Lower viscosity than water, so should go places water can't. Similar to Fish Oil....without the smell. (Also available from bunnings in a spray can to get in hard to reach places...)

Offline Small Block

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 09:46:07 am »
This might sound weird but I've found 'Penetrol' successful in stopping rust in the bottom of doors etc. Lower viscosity than water, so should go places water can't. Similar to Fish Oil....without the smell. (Also available from bunnings in a spray can to get in hard to reach places...)
I ended up going with Penetrol. The thing that convinced me was that a Painter told me that he uses the stuff on roofs and has never seen rust return after using it. At the end of the day, you hope for the best...