The future of DJR

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: The future of DJR  (Read 2496 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
The future of DJR
« on: November 07, 2020, 09:34:13 pm »
Hi All.
With the departure of Team Penske from DJR will DJR be able to sustain their dominance.
Anton de Pasquale has become the number one driver over David Reynolds and Will Davidson brings great experience.
Tickford are coming on strong, Kelly racing getting to know a new brand, Erebus new driver Will Brown no slouch,
Will Triple 8 Whincup find a way to not lose another championship, SVG every chance, and I hope all the minor teams have better luck! BJR Hazelwood a real chance with a bit of luck.

Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline 69candy

• Worked
Re: The future of DJR
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 07:10:35 pm »
I think Ludo is the key. If he can gel with anton it will be a good combo. Will? dunno, time will tell. Think he is another Coultard. Cam Waters will be strong. Fast car and a bit more experience and belief in himself

Offline Daz 67GTA

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 10:14:11 am »
I'm keen to watch the team transition.. Will was on fire before 23Red pulled the pin well above Coulthard in the championship.. Anton will be good to watch.. he's certanly improved in the last 12 months.. I hope they dominate.. but I have that feeling in my gut that Red Bull will dominate next year... to be honest.. I just wan't Fords to win again.. not fussed what team!
Daz
'67 GTA Coupe
Mick Webb 351C
C10 w/2700 Hi-stall
Strange 9" w/Eaton Truetrac

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:34 am »
Does the series have a future with no RHD GM cars and the next mustang platform only being LHD?

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 12:53:49 pm »
Hi all,
It's really good news Newcastle has the first round in 2021, Supercars were whinging about the Newcastle crowds
dwindling but they need to have a look at themselves rather than the venue.
Fans really don't get value for money IMO.
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:33:03 pm by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline Daz 67GTA

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 01:05:47 pm »
Does the series have a future with no RHD GM cars and the next mustang platform only being LHD?

Gen III introduced in 2022... that will run for at least 3 years.. The Camaro is only RHD after it's converted. No-one has a crystal ball.. but it will keep running I'm sure.. it'll just move with the times..
Daz
'67 GTA Coupe
Mick Webb 351C
C10 w/2700 Hi-stall
Strange 9" w/Eaton Truetrac

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 04:08:15 pm »

Kind of a minor issue in my view as the cars have nothing much to do with the road cars you can buy here anyway. Wheelbases are different, you haven't been able to buy a Ford with pushrods for nearly 30 years, there was no V8 option for the latest gen Opal, sorry Commodore, ditto the Nissans, both the latter are front wheel drive.

I was going to add that at least the Mustangs are dealer sold here and any road going Camaros will be converted private imports so you won't see many of them on the road but then I could say the same about the last Opal/Commodore. I think they sold about three of them. So I don't think the fact that Camaros aren't produced in RHD is the issue, its that you won't see them on the roads and in the showrooms.

I don't know how they solve this. I think the organisers have done a great job for 3 decades managing parity between the Holdens and Fords at least which has made for great racing. No reason why they can't continue to do this with Camaros and Mustangs but it you don't see them on the road there will be a lot less interest. I know that I was less interested during the Fox Mustang and Sierra era, even though I'm happy anytime anything with a Ford badge wins. I certainly wish Dick well, he is a survivor and a true blue Ford hero who has stuck with the brand through thick and a lot of thin.

In my main motor sport interest, drag racing, similar issues have been at play for a long time as far as sedan based classes are concerned. Both in the US and here the more or less equivalent of the Supercars is the Pro Stock class. In the US these are 500 cube, two valve per cylinder machines that only recently moved from carbs to EFI (and slowed down as a result) that run in the 6.50's. Here they are 400 cube two valve engines, still on carbs that have run a best of 6,87. In both cases they use "spec" bodies that look not much like the road cars (and you can't buy the road car here anyway). Interest and entry numbers are dwindling. Covid is likely to kill the class in the US.

On the other hand, interest, enthusiasm and participation for what they call in the US ïmport" racing is booming. Hi tech, multi turbo, EFI, multi overhead cam, highly computerised mostly Japanese based machines that have run as quick as 5.70 in the quarter. While they also use the spec bodies, this is gear younger generations of fans can relate to, unlike the Pro Stock dinosaurs, as much as I love them.

The other class that is booming in the states is a relatively new Factory Stock class where basically showroom Mustangs, Camaros, Dodges feature, i.e. cars that the public can relate to. Kind of like the old Series Production class from way back when - get it from the showroom, drive it to Sydney and back to run it in, pull the engine and blueprint it and go racing.

It reminds me of when I was installing the new engine in my '66 and my young Asian neighbour, who had a pretty hot rotary Mazda, asked me what I was going to use for engine management. He couldn't understand at all the concepts of a carby, mechanical and vac timing management etc.

Sorry, this ended up a much longer post than I intended. Anyway, we all love our old Mustangs, but I reckon progress is going to catch up with the Supercars in the not too distant future.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:24:00 pm by GEOFF289 »

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 05:47:37 pm »
I’d prefer to see a Kia Cerato race an i30 and a Corolla.
Comaro is almost dead and they still have left over 2019 models in the dealers.
New gen Mustang will come in RHD but that’s still three years away.
At least they will make it look like the road car and not the abomination that has been racing.
They are only interested in themselves and playing in their own sandpit.
Getting dropped by Adelaide and Penske leaving a winning team, tells me it’s on its last legs.