Build sheet

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Build sheet  (Read 3054 times)

Offline REDPNY

• Thoroughbred
Build sheet
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:13:26 pm »
I have a 1965 gt Mustang. I'm 99.9% sure it's a factory gt but the build sheet is the only way to prove 100%. I have heard some cars left factory with up to 3 hidden build sheets. Can anyone suggest hiding spots? Would love to find one.

Cheers redpny

Offline jack67fb

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Re: Build sheet
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 02:18:26 am »
Mine was stuck to the steering wheel column under the dash, folded into a small package about 2" sq, good luck.
67 gt fastback s code
16 gt fastback
68 shelby GT500KR

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 02:50:14 am »
I have a 1965 gt Mustang. I'm 99.9% sure it's a factory gt but the build sheet is the only way to prove 100%. I have heard some cars left factory with up to 3 hidden build sheets. Can anyone suggest hiding spots? Would love to find one.

Cheers redpny

You do not need a build sheet to prove it is a gt within a reasonable doubt.

you can remove the rear seat and see if it has the factory exhaust reinforcement plates that are spot welded to the floor, and remove the fog light switch and see if the hole in the dash is round or D shaped . if it is round, it is not a gt unless someone made the D shaped hole round for an aftermarket switch or something.

the rear lights should also come on when the fog lights are turned on and the rear brake line has a different routing.

Offline REDPNY

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 07:30:36 am »
That's true I have heard the snubber plate above the diff is a great way to distinguish a true gt from a fake. The corners on the snubber plate are 90degree corners not curved.

I do know mine is a factory gt but would love to find a buildsheet!

Offline HRTZ65

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:36:04 am »
I found my build sheet tucked into the springs of the passenger seat. There was one under the carpet but didn't survive water leaks.

Good luck

Offline NOSMustangSupplies

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:37 am »
REDPNY

Ive got to ask; where do you think there is information on a original build sheet that references a GT over a non GT car.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD

Offline REDPNY

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 08:43:34 pm »
Doesn't the build sheet list the specs from which the car left the factory including the gt option?

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 10:41:52 am »
Doesn't the build sheet list the specs from which the car left the factory including the gt option?

From memory, I didn't think it did

As other have mentioned, I thought telltales were the only way (and wasn't there something about the single hole for the lights in the rad support being pressed, not drilled?)

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 02:02:15 pm »
There are numerous articles and videos on the net about this issue. Here is a link to one of them that may help.

https://myrod.com/how-to-mustang-gt-verification-1965-1966/

Offline Megzee67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Michael
  • Car: 1967 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 02:31:05 pm »
Great link MWizz,
Although I am not a GT owner or aficionado.....it is very tell tale information
Looking forward to read REDPONY's outcome....
Most people don't listen with the intent to understand
They listen with the intent to reply.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 01:47:40 pm »
There are numerous articles and videos on the net about this issue. Here is a link to one of them that may help.

https://myrod.com/how-to-mustang-gt-verification-1965-1966/

Just watched this. The guy didn't mention the absence of the brightwork trim pieces behind the doors or the fog light switch hole needing to be D shaped.

Online AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 05:20:37 pm »
Hey REDPNY!
Do you have a Marti report!
Isn't this enough to prove your car is a GT, and if so on the Marti report is at the lower left of the report a list of additions fitted at the time of the build. Mine was pretty average.
I found my Marti report very handy and well worth it as my car has gone through a restomod and obviously not the same as the original car.
Fondly found that the car was originally Wimbledon white and Aqua vinyl interior, where I thought the exterior was Tahoe Turquoise, it is now Oxford white with black trim.
The car was sold by Galpin Ford in what was known as Sepulveda, Los Angeles, California on 26th January 1968! (Australia day)
Sepulveda is now known as North Hills! (An interesting read about Galpin and Sepulveda). 
I've been all throughout the car top to tail, but not looking for a build sheet, I'm soon to take the back seats out again for another job, I'll have a good look then for one, the carpet has been replaced with black carpet so fair chance it would have been found by a previous owner!
Hope you find what you want!
Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline REDPNY

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 05:37:13 pm »
Hey Phil, no Marti report available for 65 or 66, apparently all records destroyed in a fire.

That video identifying a gt was good but yes failed to mention D shaped hole for fog light, bright work on bonnet lip, or the absence of decal on rear quarter (can check from inside to see that no holes bogged or welded from decal) or the brake proportioning valve or the square corners on snubber plate.

Online AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 05:54:44 pm »
Hey Phil, no Marti report available for 65 or 66, apparently all records destroyed in a fire.

That video identifying a gt was good but yes failed to mention D shaped hole for fog light, bright work on bonnet lip, or the absence of decal on rear quarter (can check from inside to see that no holes bogged or welded from decal) or the brake proportioning valve or the square corners on snubber plate.

Hey REDPNY,
Sorry, I should have done better research!
I can now see what you're up against!
I should have realised that no one mentioned the Marti report!
 :burnout:
Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!