Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

Another brake caliper to identify

(1/3) > >>

1965 fastback:
Good morning,

I'm looking at a set of rotors and calipers taken from a 65 Mustang v8. The owner can't tell me where the calipers came from as they were on the car when purchased and used for many years until upgraded recently. The owner thought they may be from a falcon? The owner believed the spindles they were attached to was original mustang but I don't have a photo of those spindles to confirm. If anyone can help identify these, it would be much appreciated. I obviously want them to bolt up to a standard v8 mustang spindle. I know many have upgraded their drums to discs using XY rotors and Commodore calipers (VP) mounted to a bracket Mustangs of Melbourne were producing for many years so it is possible this may be that set up also.

Thanks
Tony

AussiePhil:
Hey Tony,
I can't tell you what they're off, Try Dr Google!
But Girlock calipers are very good calipers, I'd look at getting them rebuilt!
Repco, etc. have a catalogue of images of pads that may help!
You may be able to match up the bearing part numbers on the rotors to identify them as well as diameters, heights etc.
Other than that fit Wilwood dynapro calipers and rotors, it's a reasonably easy job, but you my have to match the bearings to your axle stubs, something I had to do!
Cheers Phil.

AussiePhil:
Hey Tony,
Try Ford XE, XF, They look close to me! DB1075 Pad!
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-XE-XF-XG-Girlock-Front-Brake-Calipers/133239285689?hash=item1f05ae27b9:g:n2cAAOSwBqpdzNGK
Cheers Phil.

1965 fastback:
Thanks Phil. I have googled and can confirm they are from an XE, XF, XG Falcon.

My next question is whether these had to be bolted to a spindle of the same era? and therefore incorrect for early Mustangs.

Anyone a brake expert in this area? I believe this is why come upgrades have included Commodore calipers bolted to a special bracket that sits on the hub before the spindle? If anyone can confirm any of this stuff, it would be much appreciated as I don't want to purchase calipers/rotors that won't suit.

If anyone knows about the Commodore caliper set up and has the right bracket they have discarded I would be interested in purchasing it.

Regards
Tony

Bad01:
Commodore calipers similar but not necessarily better .
It all goes on piston size compared to master cylinder bore size .
Applied pressure versus actual braking  pressure and distance of brake pedal - hydraulic advantage .
Falcon calipers are robust but I got no idea idea what you mean by spindle .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version