Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque 1974 to 1978

67 headlights flickering

(1/3) > >>

fatso1:
Hey Gang haven’t posted in a while but I want to start using my 67 stang again.
I got it direct from USA 15 years ago I have never been able to drive at night because after 5 -10 mins the headlights start flickering on and off does anyone know what the cause of this is? When vehicle came from USA we changed headlights to be compliant in Australia

GLENN 70:
Fit a new headlight switch . If you up graded the lights from the old sealed beam ones you should have a relay fitted .

pgold:
search e-bay - headlight relay loom kit. you connect loom to battery, connect one of existing headlight sockets to loom plug ( to control new relays ) and connect up headlights. If your new right hand drive headlights are higher wattage then the originals then you may be overloading the thermal circuit breaker in light switch. A new switch may or may not fix problem.

SMH00N:
The reason is the extra load in the new lights overloads the headlight switch.
Put in a relay for both low and high beam circuits (2 relays) with new wiring from relay to headlights.
No need for a new switch, the load comes off the switch when you use a relay as it only triggers the relay and carries low load.

If you are not up to wiring a decent sparky can do it. If you want to keep it original, the wiring doesn't need to be replaced but if you do it's not going to give you any hassle.

Dwayne:
Fitting the headlight relays is really easy.

I had no wiring experience and easily fitted the relay in about 30mins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version