Importing from USA to Australia

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing from USA to Australia  (Read 2999 times)

Offline gbmustang68

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Importing from USA to Australia
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:24:36 pm »
Hi All, I am after advise about importing companies. Who is recommended and who is not. I just purchased a 68 Fastback from the USA and have engaged in importing companies to commence the process. At the moment I have selected Classic USA imports. Has anyone used them before? Any postive / negative feedback? Price seems far cheaper then all competitors but the last thing i need is over a $1k or $2k savings risking at $80k++ purchase. Thank you

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: Importing from USA to Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:08:24 am »
Make sure they are quoting you on everything like internal fright USA , all custom chargers in the USA , packing USA , unpacking aust , gst aust , shipping itself , quarantine aust , insurance , luxury tax because of the value on your mustang , etc etc . I don’t know the current prices at all . Also ask them about a time frame all up and where will your car be stored until it’s going to be shipped . Where is it going to be shipped too ,which port in Australia and which port is it being shipped from in the USA ? ,the west coast is much safer than the east coast of the US to ship from .

Offline RC65

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:46:37 am »
You most likely also need an Asbestos Report on the car. There are horror stories out there regarding vehicles failing inspections here in Aus.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 12:17:26 pm »
Please see my email about CUI, cheap but woeful at communications.
They did bring my car in and it got here ok.
They imported my engine and lost in the US for 3 months until I found it.
That also got here ok.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:27:35 pm »
Got your Import Approval? Don't ship without it.

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Stephen
  • Car: 70 Sportsroof Grabber pac
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:37:57 am »
Price seems far cheaper then all competitors
"Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good"

Get all the Aussie paperwork yourself before it even goes near a US dock.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 04:17:40 pm »
If it is still Luke at Classic USA Imports, then as mentioned, don't expect a great level of informative service.

I imported my car 8 years ago, and it eventually got here, but very hard to get updates and responses to any communications.

In the end I got my car and all was good. But just know what to expect, and maybe tie some level of service into the agreement, with penalties if he doesn't perform.

My friend also used him for his 70.5 Camaro Z28 and had the same issues, but also lost some parts - like the unique wheel nuts from the front wheels, as when the car was unpacked by his agent, they only put 2 nuts back on each front wheel. Not unusual to take th front wheels off when puttting into a container with another car - BUT be very wary to check everything on the car before driving off after picking it up!.

The other benefit Luke offered that others didn't specifically, was handling the AUD to USD conversion at wholesale rates through Westpac as part of handling the settlement (a big benefit of an importer).  Currently banks will rip you off on the buy/sell spread on currency conversion (at least 5% off the headline conversion rate), whereas their wholesale rates at the time was only about 0.5% (not sure now).  This could potentially save you AU$2000+ on a USD$50K car.