Technical & General Discussion Area > Members Cars

'69 Mach1

(1/15) > >>

jiffy:
Ok, in abbreviated form, here is the journey. Started in 2002, bought it as my first purchase on ebay. Arrived 2003.

This is the before shot, from when it was retired from racing - when it arrived, it had a hot 460 w/SCJ heads, solid lifters, headers, 4-bolt mains, semi roll-cage, 4:30:1 detroit locker - it was a mad thing...

I've lost a bunch of "the journey" photos when mustang heaven locked my photos up, but here it is with all the panel repairs done, there was lots of waiting. Built a garage, stripped and sent the bodyshell off for repair, got divorced, moved house 3 times, got married, had another child...

so - it's now at my house with stuff just starting to go in (this was in the last couple of years) - fuel line in, brake distribution block and proportioning valve rebuilt, front lines starting to go in....

Suspenders on...

Got the engine back from the rebuilder. This is a stock build, 428CJ date correct +0.040 motor, Lunati cam but nothing particularly extreme. Need to install the tube in the intake that connects to the water pump, then bolt that on. Put all the other accessories on and take it off to be run-in and checked, then remove the accessories and paint.

P/S control valve rebuilt....

After 12 years, it’s back on wheels!!

Rebuilt water pump on, heater neck on, thermostat housing on.
Timing pointer next, then PCV, valve covers, carb, distributor, manifolds and START-UP!

Then paint and install....

Dash is largely done. The mark on the glovebox door is from my dusty finger.

Then the 63.5 turned up from paint and needed assembly, so work on the Mach1 stopped for a year...

The engine was assembled and sitting for a while, so got painted in Corporate Blue:

Aaaaaand - it’s off for run-in and tuning on the Dyno.

Managed to find a crack in the thermostat housing, so that got swapped out. Hoping for the best - but rebuilt carb, distributor, fuel pump combined with an engine made from parts that have never been together before, I’ll be very happy if there’s no issues!!

It all went down to the Dyno shop, the cam run in went really well. It sat overnight and when they went to install the inner valve springs, they found cylinder #6 had about 3 thimbles-full of water in it. Not sure how it happened, the piston is at the top, there is a tiny bit of oil in the water sitting in the bore, but the oil on the pan is clean. The motor has been sitting strapped to the dyno waiting to go.

Turned out to be a cracked head and I have a few spares, so - frustrating - but no deal breaker so far. New head prepped and installed.

And there it is. 32 degrees total advance, rev-limiter kicked in at 5200 - could turn it up a little, but it is what it is, and I'm happy.
Lunati cam:
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 227/233
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .552/.564
•LSA/ICL: 110/106

Holley 735, 5671/5673 jetted 73/81 running the C8OF 12127H with a Crane XRi ignition module and an original FoMoCo coil

and a link to the video....

https://youtu.be/d7vtJtlRb2c

Aaaand we have BRAKES!!

Managed to leak 1/4 bottle of fluid on the floor due to not tightening the brakes lines on the differential distribution block, but all good and sealed and now not leaking!

Have given it a clean with brake cleaner and degreaser, so hoping it’s not going to damage any paint underneath.

Got the tilt steering column in too, but that needs to come back out after the car is painted for a touch-up...

Ok - the engine is ready to install. There are a few detailing activities than I will look into once the car is back from the painter, but I'm working to a tight schedule at the moment, so in it goes shortly...

ok - it's Monday and this post is now up to date.

I had a day off from EVERYTHING yesterday because Saturday was a killer.

Started about mid-morning, got the carb and valve covers off the engine and moved all the crap out of the way.

Hooked the chain onto the engine (was going to use a lifting plate but couldn't find enough hardened bolts the right size to trust the weight of the engine on it).

My brother and my friend Paul were a huge help with advice, coffees, lifting and doing stuff!!

Got the engine bay well-padded, and made sure the studs were out of the exhaust manifolds (thanks Barry, great tip!) because there wasn't a huge amount of room out the back between the manifold and firewall.

But, with a fair amount of patience and taking it slow, it just dropped in barely touching the padding and not a scratch to be seen! Very relieved.

Got the flywheel on, clutch lined up (thanks Adrian for the loan of the tool) then up went the bellhousing.

Then in went the toploader - they're a heavy bloody thing!!

and so finally, at 2am, with everything checked, locktighted, tightened and talked to, I was done.

Car on the hoist, off to bed. A big day, but it all went well...

Please have a look at the pics - any hints, tips or suggestions would be welcomed about detailing or call-out anything wrong....

With luck, off for paint this week!

my 390:
Looking good and I enjoyed the read and pics. Keep up the great work

mwizz:
Love the progressive story and your commitment, well done jiffy

jiffy:
so, it's off to work we go - hi ho, hi ho etc

Unfortunately it appears a few things have gone missing over the years, including my original Ford spoiler cast in aluminium. Bugger.

Macka:
Hows it looking now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version