Technical & General Discussion Area > Importing Cars & Parts - General Freight

New to Importing, Please Help

(1/20) > >>

jonrules12:
Hey so I am looking at importing a Mustang to AUS from the US and I am currently looking at going with "American Muscle Cars" (http://www.americanmusclecars.com.au/).
So as a complete first timer I would not say no to some guidance.
First, is that service safe to use? I have heard about dodgy people doing this stuff and would like to avoid it if I could. If you have any suggestions of trusted places or people that do this
stuff let me know please! (:
Second, how would the pricing compare to just buying what is already on the Australian car market? Cause I see this rusted out shells on classifieds here and people are asking, and getting
heaps of money for them. At this stage I am looking in the realm of $25,000 AUD for the car to my door, is this high or low as far as averages go?
Finally, what kinda of trouble should I expect when it comes time to get a roadworthy and register it, or is that process different?

Cheers,
JonRules12

BAC:
Hi Tim and welcome!  :hi:

You have asked quite a few questions there and the answers to some of them will depend on the year and model of Mustang you are looking to buy.  With your budget, I would expect you are after a coupe rather than a fastback and  probably not a highly optioned one with show quality paint and interior.

There are many pitfalls in importing a car from the US, regardless of whether you are doing it yourself or having an agent handle it all for you.  I have no personal experience with American Muscle Cars neither have I heard anything good or bad said about them so you'll have to wait for others to comment.

Other possibilities for you to consider are Shermatt (a US car finding business run by an expat Aussie) or to contact barnett468 (an active forum member here based in the US who has been known to sell a Mustang or two) to see if he has any prospects on the books at the moment.

Good luck!  :thumb:

GLENN 70:
For a good coupe ,rust free and is  a good car it will cost around  $13-$15,000 US or more   = about  $18,000 - $20,000 Australian dollars or more . That's before any other costs and there are plenty of those and freight on top . Closer to $30 grand  Aust  I would say ,then on road costs and you own it and haven't even seen it ,touched it ,driven it . $25k Australian just doesn't work anymore for a good classic mustang at a landed price . Buy one hear is my advice .

69candy:
I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I searched and ended up at AMC talking to Graham. He made the whole thing painless and kept me informed through the whole process. He was prob a bit dearer than some of the others but it was one price!! No hidden extra's. Bit daunting handing over cash to somebody you don't know, but have no problem recommending AMC. Gave him the name and number of the guy in the USA He picked the car up and paid for it. Next  call was when it was leaving the USA, next one was for the GST payment, and then a call to come to Adelaide to pick up my car!!. He also bought in all my parts that I needed. Have been using him over the last 8 years to bring motorbikes etc in with no problems. Totally recommend him and his crew. I will declare we have become friends with him over the years, but that was purely a bonus from our dealings. This is my personal Experience With American Muscle Cars. ( Pity he is a mopar guy ) LOL PS His containers are Asbestos free when they come into Australia now as he has it organized in the USA

jonrules12:
Hey, and thank you!

Yeah it will most likely be a 1966 coupe. Nothing special, inside and out most likely.

Alright! I will see what happens in the near future and if I get any good leads on the reliability of different services.

Thanks for the help, man!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version