Canada to Australia

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Canada to Australia  (Read 8995 times)

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Terry
Canada to Australia
« on: June 06, 2016, 01:00:21 pm »
Hi

Has anyone had recent experience importing a car from Canada to Australia.
With the current exchange rate we are now getting 0.95 Canadian to the Aussie.  The prices for cars in Canada don't seem to be very different to US although on many website prices are in US dollars. 
Thought there might be a chance on finding a car privately in Canada for a good price and with that exchange rate might be a good deal.  Summer there now.

Just wondered if any other taxes or anything different from importing from US. 

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
Re: Canada to Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 03:23:39 pm »
Do a search. There's a few threads on this.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:47:47 pm »
Has anyone had recent experience importing a car from Canada to Australia.

Yup - got a car I bought from Ontario landing in Melbourne in the next couple of days.  :pepper:

Just wondered if any other taxes or anything different from importing from US.

All taxes are the same with the possible exception of import duty. Couldn't find a straight answer on whether Canadian cars are duty free like USA or not.  Worst case should be 5% but will let you know for sure at the end of the week.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline robgarns

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:43:51 am »
Least of the problems - it snows in Canada! All early cars will have been exposed to salt on roads - AVOID!

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:18:58 am »
Least of the problems - it snows in Canada! All early cars will have been exposed to salt on roads - AVOID!

Same goes for any car that's spent a lot of time in the north of the US and with cars that are 50 years old it can be hard to work out all the places they've been over their lifetime.

Better to assess each car on its merits rather than make a blanket judgement based on where it is currently located.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline 6508k

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 01:04:29 pm »
Same goes for any car that's spent a lot of time in the north of the US and with cars that are 50 years old it can be hard to work out all the places they've been over their lifetime.

Better to assess each car on its merits rather than make a blanket judgement based on where it is currently located.

Some good advice right there ... :thumb:

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 10:02:29 am »
Thanks for that.
BAC what port did your car leave from. A Canadian port..or did the car go into the US?

I bought a car that spent time in Minnessota and it had quite a bit of rust repair and panel replacement.
Guess you want a car that lived it's life in say Arizona or Cali then has been brought to Canada as a restored car then kept indoors and just taken to shows. I'm sure there would be many nice cars in Canada.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:56:51 am »
BAC what port did your car leave from. A Canadian port..or did the car go into the US?

My car was located a couple of hours drive out of Toronto and I had the option to go either way.  Most agents I contacted could only offer shipping out of Toronto, but that makes for a long ocean voyage down the east cost of the USA and through the Panama canal.

I eventually found a company that had experience with cross border exports so the car was trucked overland through the US down to Longbeach and shipped from there.  Worked out to be a bit cheaper that way as well.

Guess you want a car that lived it's life in say Arizona or Cali then has been brought to Canada as a restored car then kept indoors and just taken to shows. I'm sure there would be many nice cars in Canada.

Yep, funnily enough there are car collectors in Canadians who look after their vehicles just as well as anyone else.  On the flip side, buyers should also beware of the many rusty 'California' cars that have obviously spent a fair bit of their lives somewhere else...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:24:42 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 09:23:33 am »
All taxes are the same with the possible exception of import duty. Couldn't find a straight answer on whether Canadian cars are duty free like USA or not.  Worst case should be 5% but will let you know for sure at the end of the week.

Just got my invoice from the Customs Broker and there is no import duty  :pepper:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline TerryD

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 05:39:11 pm »
Ok that's good.  Well Canada looks like good option.

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 09:13:27 am »
Thanks for that.

I bought a car that spent time in Minnessota and it had quite a bit of rust repair and panel replacement.

Ive spent a lot of time in Minnesota attending car shows and have good collector car friends over there. There is a very large classic car enthusiast following in that State and the vast majority of their cars are wrapped up in heated garages for winter so they never see snow or salted roads. It's unfortunate about your car Terry but it can happen in any State. Having said that, I have to say I mainly look in west coast States when sourcing cars and the last car I brought in was built and spent its entire life in Texas.

Offline booah

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 07:39:14 am »
I brought in a car from Calgary 3 years ago, went across the border to LA and shipped from there.

Grew up in Canada and I can guarantee there are as many looked after non rusty cars there as there are here. Used to have a winter beater that you thrash over the winter months and sell in the spring, the good car stayed away from the gravel and the salt till it was swept away in the spring.

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 10:20:20 pm »
I brought in a car from Calgary 3 years ago, went across the border to LA and shipped from there.

Grew up in Canada and I can guarantee there are as many looked after non rusty cars there as there are here. Used to have a winter beater that you thrash over the winter months and sell in the spring, the good car stayed away from the gravel and the salt till it was swept away in the spring.

You are right booah there are some really good cars in Canada.

Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com