72 Mach 1 front drum to disk conversion - Any issues with XA Falcon parts

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 72 Mach 1 front drum to disk conversion - Any issues with XA Falcon parts  (Read 1794 times)

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Brendan John
  • Car: 72 Mach 1 Sports Roof.
Hey team,
have just bought myself a 72 Mach 1 fastback Mustang with a 351 2v auto.
It has drum all round and am looking to change over to front disks.
Is there any issues with using XA Parts for the conversion. By this I mean XA Booster, master cylinder, stub axles, callipers, disks etc.

The car is completely stock 1 owner (before me) and is left hand drive.

Not looking to build a race car. Just a cruiser...

Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Brendan

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Hey Brendan,
Looking this cars originality I wouldn't touch it. Brakes and Hood!
If your thinking of going to car shows Concourse Car judges would love it as is!
What's it like under the hood!
Don't do any work on the car till you get more advice!!!
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:02:05 am by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
I read your other post re/blackout bonnet as well as this one, I can see where you are coming from looking at disc brakes for a car that sounds like will get plenty of use (I have XF brakes on my 66) Phil has a point as well about retaining originality, you are the one who has to make the final decision. If you do go with disc brakes just ensure you keep the front drum brakes etc. so it could be returned to stock at a later date if you need to and enjoy cruising in your new toy mate. :thumb:

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Guys,
thanks for the tips.

Yes, anything I take off it, I will keep.

I do like the idea of power assisted disks just from a safety point of view.

I pick it up late this coming week and am getting a pre roadworthy check done to give me a shopping list of things it needs..
I have not had the brakes apart yet, so will see what they need to get them working 100%. Then will decide if disks is a change I want / need. I don't want to spend much on getting the drums going as it may be money wasted.

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
I would consider XB/XC front rotors rather than XA as they have a smaller hub and will accommodate a range of wheels better. The XA's have larger hubs and can even interfere with stock rims. So its something to look into.

If you are staying LHD, then a XA master cylinder will have the ports on the wrong side ( they point into the engine bay) and the hose routing will look wrong. You can mate a XA /XB booster to a stock Mustang master cylinder and it maintains more of a stock look in the engine bay and any good brake shop will be able to set them up to work together. A XA booster may not bolt up to the firewall easily and some creativity may be required but it can be done - I did a similar thing with a 67.

Brad

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Thanks for the info guys..
I'm leaning towards a kit from that is developed for the 71-73 cars rather than any adaptation.

I have had a pre roadworthy check done on the car and the brakes are in good condition with new liners etc. So only a few things to do to make them roadworthy. I plan to get a roady with the drums still in place and then do the dick conversion later when I can get to a mates place to get it on the hoist.

Thanks for the tips.