1969 Mustang rear wheel cylinders

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1969 Mustang rear wheel cylinders  (Read 1814 times)

Offline coops

• Thoroughbred
  • been here a little while!
1969 Mustang rear wheel cylinders
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:37:05 pm »
My V8 1969 Mustang is in need of new rear brake slave cylinders. On the ones on my car, the brake line screws into the slave cylinder straight and on and the ones I am looking on line the inlet is on a slight angle. I have been looking on line and it appears there are two different types and the ones I have on my Mustang are for a 6cylinder car. My car has Falcon XY to XF ventilated front discs with PBR Calipers. It is an original V8 car and has the V8 diff. Do I need the angled slave cylinders (It won't be a problem putting a slight bend in the brake line), or do I stick with the ones with the inlet that goes in straight below the bleed nipple. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers Coops
66 and 69 coupes.

Offline pgold

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
  • Car: 69 sportsroof
Re: 1969 Mustang rear wheel cylinders
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 10:11:29 pm »
Are your rear brake shoes 1 3/4" or 2" wide?  Was your car built with 4 wheel drum brakes or drum / disk combination?
250 ci & 302 ci-1 3/4"  rear drums.  351, 390 & 428 ci - 2" rear drums. Do you have a 8" or 9" diff?

Offline coops

• Thoroughbred
  • been here a little while!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 10:35:48 pm »
Car was originally a 302 car with 8" diff. Has Falcon disc brake conversion so I'm assuming originally 4 wheel drums
66 and 69 coupes.

Offline pgold

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
  • Car: 69 sportsroof
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:19:27 am »
Have a look at these may be what you need. You may have to check if you have 7/8" or 13/16" bores but in any case these match your front disks. The other consideration is shoe and drum size compared to Falcon.
https://www.custommustangs.com.au/xr-xb-falcon-rear-brake-wheel-cylinder-13-16-20.64

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 06:33:32 pm »
I have learnt the hard way that sometimes you are better off having your current wheel cylinders resleeved with stainless. Apart from my 66 coupe I also have a 36 Ford fitted with 39 Ford hydraulic brakes, when I first got the old Ford years ago I went through the brakes and machined the drums, fitted new brake shoes and wheel cylinders. The new cylinders leaked past the cups so I disassembled them and reassembled them with new cups............they leaked again. I talked online in the Early V8 forum and had the same answer over and over again, most repo wheel cylinders are made in China etc. and the metal isn't as high a quality as it should be. I sent my original wheel cylinders away to be resleeved with stainless and they have never leaked since...............(Touch wood)  :flag: