RHD Conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RHD Conversion  (Read 5813 times)

Offline 70-4V

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
RHD Conversion
« on: May 05, 2021, 08:29:33 pm »
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum & I have a 1970 Mach1. I have driven left hand drive before and decided its not for me so  I am wanting to convert my car to RHD but need to get a drag link cut/welded to suit an XF Falcon power steer box. Can anyone tell me who does this or where I can get it done properly in Brisbane? Does anyone have templates for mounting the steering box? I also need help on where to cut the dash for an air conditioned car & how to mirror the A/C unit? Any help of any kind would be appreciated as I want it done properly & safely.

Ross

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
Re: RHD Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:15:21 am »
I looked into the RRS system for my 68 but never followed through with it, but about 12 months ago I fitted the CRS power rack and pinion setup to my HZ one tonner.
Having experienced the steering box/drag link system on plenty of older cars, I've come to the conclusion that it's well worth the extra dollars to have an older car that steers like a modern one by fitting rack and pinion steering.
In my opinion it doesn't make a lot of sense spending money on an outdated steering setup.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 12:15:41 pm »
70-4V - Shaunp (Shaun Power) on this forum has been a huge wealth of information on RHD setups on old Mustangs. I believe he has his own business in Wynnum QLD.

You could search through his old posts, especially about getting drag-links made.

Try and contact him though messaging - though he hasn't been active for quite a while.  GLENN 70 also might have some info on Shaun.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 04:35:08 pm »
70-4V - Shaunp (Shaun Power) on this forum has been a huge wealth of information on RHD setups on old Mustangs. I believe he has his own business in Wynnum QLD.

You could search through his old posts, especially about getting drag-links made.

Try and contact him though messaging - though he hasn't been active for quite a while.  GLENN 70 also might have some info on Shaun.

Shaun also used to be even more active on the other forum https://www.mustangtech.com.au/ so it'd be worth looking there too. As Shane says, he knows a lot about this subject (and most others).

He can also be found on FB https://www.facebook.com/shaun.t.power

Offline 70-4V

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 08:33:41 pm »
Thanks guys for the responses.
SXTY8 - I agree with you about upgrading to a rack & haven't totally excluded the idea. However I have spent many years & many dollars replacing just about every panel on this car from the floor to the roof & gutters, so I find it hard to justify the expense. I still have paint, engine/transmission, interior to do as well.

scollist & GEOFF289 - I have read many old posts & yes Shaun seems to be the go-to man. I have actually sent him a message through this forum ( provided I did it right) but haven't had a response yet. Interesting link for the other forum, I hadn't heard of it. I'm not much of a facebook fan but might try Glenn 70 when I get a chance.....thanks

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:52 pm »
Cut and weld steering components is a dangerous practice and will not get past engineering when it comes to roadworthy. I have used XW-XY Falcon components in the past, they are very similar, the only problem was matching pitman arm to the XF box but spacers-reducers are available to match different pivot shaft sizes.
Google is your best friend sometimes. 
To add to my post...I have seen plenty of dodgy conversions in the past using XF boxes. It's not that simple. To get the correct alignment with the column you will have to relocate it on the chassis and lower it slightly, which means cutting your chassis open, relocate the chrush tubes and weld a whole new mounting plate for the XF box. Don't ask for template or dimensions because every car is different. Tolerances were very loose back in the days.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:43:12 pm by sms777 »

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 12:35:01 pm »
Which is why I reckon to bite the bullet and go with the rack.
After all the cost and effort to convert to RHD is done, in a few thousand K's you're likely to have some play in your steering with the draglink setup but not with the rack and pinion.
The only reason that I didn't go with it on my car is because I wanted to keep it completely original.
My 2c.  :smile01:

Offline 70-4V

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 08:16:49 pm »
I believe here in QLD you can get welded drag links through engineering if they pass x-ray inspection, but something I would have to double check. sms777 You are right about dodgy conversions I have seen pictures of some myself where they have hacked into the frame rail - not happening on my car. That's why I am asking as many people as possible. That's why I appreciate every 2cents worth. 

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 09:07:16 pm »
Shaun Power has John Greene's conversion templates.

From memory, they used an XF power steering box, and a cut & shut drag link. The drag link needs to be welded by a qualified welder and also x-rayed for engineering approval.

Happy birthday too Shaun!

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 06:00:18 am »
John Greene did the engineering for my 68 coupe (frankenstang).
18 years & 150,000kms later i havent had any problem with my cut, welded & X-rayed drag link.
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline 70-4V

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 08:01:04 pm »
Thanks Dwayne you have confirmed my knowledge of the subject. That's good to hear scedd1, I have been around long enough to know that something properly welded is as good as the parent metal. But it's still nice to have it confirmed like that.

Offline 438 mach

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Allan
  • Car: 69 mach 1
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 04:29:30 pm »
My 69 RHD mach1 I xf steering box draglink is not welded
My 69 Convert RHD conversion xf box done along time ago by Mike O'Sullivan not welded memory says it was a XY XW draglink
PS
Drives and steers straight no instability or bump steer
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:32:43 pm by 438 mach »
69 mach 1 438 dart CHI heads CHI dual plane Intake Holley terminator EFI TKO 600 4:11 rear twin 3" exhaust.
goes like a rocket

Offline staddy

• Worked
  • 1969 GT350H
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 10:49:54 am »

My 69 mach 1  428 car has xf box and used to have non welded draglink , i can say it was fine , was like it for 30yrs or more , when i gave the car a tidy  up i replaced the drag link with a xray numbered welded drag link , and it drives the same but then again i don`t do crazy track days , highways were fine .
1969 GT350H

Offline Edz

• Worked
    • Checkout my car builds
  • Car: 66 Convertible V8 AODE
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 05:59:06 pm »
I'm going with a Rodtech front end, far superior to both RRS and the CRS system. Comes with power steering and big brakes. Around $6 - 6500 but currently on back-order as they have lost a lot of staff due to covid (and free government money!).

http://rodtech.com.au/IFS%20FRONT%20END?product_id=666
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 05:27:25 pm »
Think ahead, manual steer is cheaper and easier but you will soon get sick of that and going power steering after conversion is the certainly hard way of doing things
does anyone remember laughter

Offline Sassy

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Blink
  • Car: 1965 coupe
Re Saginaw style power steering pump
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 02:24:08 pm »
Hey troops, just wondering if anyone has used a Saginaw style power steering pump with the XF RHD conversion into a 65 V8 coupe. Thinking of using a mid 90s Holden V8 pump, any ideas?

Offline Edz

• Worked
    • Checkout my car builds
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 10:00:38 pm »
Much easier and neater to fit a Holden Barina/Astra pump under the front mudguard and just run 2 hoses. They do pull 15 to 70amps but neat and clean.

This is one under the front left mudguard on a Mustang.

This is the wiring for an Astra Power Steering Pump that I put together.

The pumps draw approximately 15A when idling, and between 15-35A when steering, up to 75A at full steering lock and when driving aggressively like drifting.

Outlet – M16 x 1.5 to AN6 fitting for high pressure side

Pump Wires
•   Thick Brown – Earth
•   Thick Red – Power (70A or 100A recommended - Jaycar breaker $50 or $15 on eBay)
•   Thin Black – Ignition on
•   Thin Blue / White stripe – ignition – 2 second delay brings pump straight to speed. If you connect this directly to ignition, the pump will take 10-15 seconds to get to full speed
•   Brown/white – if present - diagnostics OEM, not used

Cable to buy
Black earth cable 6 AWG 13.5mm2
Red Power cable 6 AWG 13.5mm2
8/10 mm Ring Terminals for the battery

2 second Timer Delay Relay
If you power the thin Blue/white wire 1 or 2 seconds after the thin black wire, the pump will start quicker, otherwise it can take 15 seconds to get to full speed.

You could use a $130 Narva Multitimer Relay (P/No 68076) 12A 10A to give a 2 second delay (cheaper ones on ebay)

Wiring: Pin 30 - 12V constant; Pin 31 Earth; Pin 15 Ignition on & Pin 87 – 2 second delayed ignition on output to little Blue/white stripe

Cheaper option; $2-$6 on eBay - DC 12V Signal Trigger Relay delay time Turn Off on Timer Control Switch Module 2-10 sec (Plus $4 Jiffy case at Jaycar)

Offline Edz

• Worked
    • Checkout my car builds
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2023, 10:02:17 pm »
This is a Youtube video that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94vl7a_Pl8s

Offline Sassy

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Blink
  • Car: 1965 coupe
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2023, 04:49:40 pm »
Thanks Edz for the info, sorry for late reply. I had heard of the Astra setup but was not convinced,will now look into it further.       

Offline Edz

• Worked
    • Checkout my car builds
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2023, 10:59:57 pm »
No worries, if you have efi, you want a delay on the pump or it drops the voltage on startup and the efi may not kick in.