Getting a DMV title for pre 1973 New York cars

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Getting a DMV title for pre 1973 New York cars  (Read 12834 times)

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
  • Not a bogan, but I like dem big V8's!
  • Name: Hugh
Getting a DMV title for pre 1973 New York cars
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:48:29 am »
The seller of the 1968 390GT I'm buying in NY tells me all he can give me is a Bill of Sale and an old Registration, as according to him, all cars pre 1973 didn't have titles, just registrations. The NY DMV website seems to support him (see attached info PDF). So does anyone here know -

- Can I get DMV title for a 1968 car somehow?

- If not will I get problems getting an import approval?

OZ Dept of Infrastructure's info sheet only asks for registration papers. Its the shippers sites that seem to want the clear title... Couldn't see anything about it on the OZ Customs site either.

Thanks in advance. (nearly there!).  :drool:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:11:58 am by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: Getting a DMV title for pre 1973 New York cars
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:04:56 am »
You should be fine. Go get the import approval and bring her in.

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:30 am »
Hi Boof, I did some ringing around today. Infrastructure are happy and so are OZ customs, they couldn't care less.
Its US customs who have an issue releasing the car for export without a clear title.

I've had several versions from shippers this morning;

Two shippers who routinely ship ex East coast who says its no problem as US Customs in those ports know very well, that you can't get a title for old cars from some states. As long as you have the registration papers and a bill of sale its OK.

And then another one who claims it cant be done and the only way is to ship the car to LA and get it retitled.

So its hard to know. One seems to be trying to push me into using their own shipping services or buying a car off them. Others just seem happy to help...

Guess I'll have to do more research.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:38:46 am by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:21 am »
Mate I know your pain. My 67 mustang had no title and it came down the coast from Seattle. After a day of sitting in the dmv trying to get answers and dead ends. I got lucky. Found a lady that could get titles through her dealership cost me a few hundred bucks and had to wait another month for the car in the end.

If the car in that state has no title do not take it to la they will no let it out of customs. It maybe different in ny because every state seems to have diffrent laws
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54:11 am »
As you have said, there will be no dramas once the car is on the boat.  I have been told that US Customs at the port of LA will not allow a vehicle to be exported without a clear title (I had some issues with getting a lien removed from my car's title before they would ship it). 

Not sure if/how this applies for vehicles shipped from the port of New York/New Jersey, but the shippers I used also operate out of NY and they were very helpful (as well as reasonably priced) so I'd recommend having a chat with them if you need more info.

PM me if interested and I'll forward their details.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:29:44 am »
No clear title no car . Even the shipping yards won't want them on Their property . Who knows who owns it , another person ,a bank ,has been stolen and maybe not now but years and years ago . You could loose the car .  Unless the seller can sort this out before you buy it I would walk , but that's what I would do .  I have walked away from plenty because they did not have a clear title or no title on hand . You are in Australia and its hard enough to sort out when your over there . A rego paper does not prove owner ship ,and over in the US so many people don't bother changing it into there name ,but the seller must sign it when they sell it . Be careful .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »
cost me a few hundred bucks and had to wait another month for the car in the end.

^ If that waiting is done on the docks; the warehousing fee will cost you a fortune. Same with the docks at this end; don't ship a car hoping the approval will come in time.

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:14:45 pm »
Just because you get the australian import approval doesn't mean it can leave the USA . Cars  and motor bikes have been seized  by the authority's in the US from shipping yards for cars etc with no title ,been stolen or even stolen  30 years ago .  Barnett 468 will know more on this subject being an a american .

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:24:10 pm »
Cars  and motor bikes have been seized  by the authority's in the US from shipping yards for cars, etc. with no title, been stolen or even stolen 30 years ago.

Yep, this one was on its way to Aus., the buyer in Aus. would've lost every cent he paid.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/21/stolen-57-chevy-returned-to-owner-after-30-years/

s

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 04:26:06 pm »
As you have said, there will be no dramas once the car is on the boat.  I have been told that US Customs at the port of LA will not allow a vehicle to be exported without a clear title (I had some issues with getting a lien removed from my car's title before they would ship it). 
Not sure if/how this applies for vehicles shipped from the port of New York/New Jersey, but the shippers I used also operate out of NY and they were very helpful (as well as reasonably priced) so I'd recommend having a chat with them if you need more info.
PM me if interested and I'll forward their details.

Thanks mate and that seems the view of several shippers I spoke today, who ship out of NJ or NY or Charlotte, etc. The clear title thing seems paramount in LA but no so much on the east coast as several major states never had them until recently. But of course that's only their view...
There are several vehicle history places on the web too, probably worth the small $$ just  to decrease the risks.
Problem for me is S code 68' fastback project cars aren't what you'd call common these days, so if the only one that fits after months of searching is in a state that didn't issue DMV titles back then, then I guess you have to gather all the info you can and balance the risk...

PM on the way, and thanks to all for your views.  :bow:
Grumpy old git!

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »
Be very careful Hugh. Don't hand over any $$ until you get this right. GLENN 70 knows the ins and outs and I have also shipped in a few but from LA, where if you don't have a title the car ain't going anywhere. Things may be different on the east coast but make sure you have all the facts before you proceed. A lot of people have been burnt importing cars.

By the way, have you had this S code inspected?

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:37:30 pm »
^ If that waiting is done on the docks; the warehousing fee will cost you a fortune. Same with the docks at this end; don't ship a car hoping the approval will come in time.

s

I got lucky because I was there on hoildays at the time. It was a old form member at the time that got me the car because he owed me another mustang as payment for a deal gone bad. In the end the car showed up from Seattle in long beach and only had the paper work for a new title with the signed papers by the old owner. I got lucky......

George from pts was very helpful getting me out of that mess. For awhile I thought I was in trouble. that car is now here been restored on the Gold Coast I believe. Sold it and kept the other one.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:40:47 pm by shelby_mustro »
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline mungus

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »
Gracias Pedro, and no, so far no money has changed hands.  :smash:

I've got an inspector going to have a look however this is a dismantled project car, so there's only so much one can inspect! It is a genuine S code fastback 68', with the buck tag, door plate etc, even the original (very tatty) sales sheet. Its more to make sure all that's supposed to be there is as described. It appears (sic) that the rust has been removed, new rear quarters & firewall put in etc. Comes with new OEM FORD hood and fenders, still in their boxes etc. So hopefully some sort of base to work from. No doubt I will find things I'm less than happy with but that's always the way with rescuing someone elses stalled project.  :nopity:

I'm still waiting for some high res scans of various dox and a history check before I finally push send for the deposit.  All in all there is no such thing as a zero risk foreign vehicle purchase I guess, but I'll do what I can to find out if its dodgy or not, and if I have to walk away I will. The history checks I've done online have both come up clean, so at present its not looking too bad, but of course pride comes before a fall!

There are some pluses however. Shes in NY so land transport cost to the port of Newark is minimal, and shes the year and model I want, plus I'm not paying for someone elses dreams (non Bullit paint & trim colours, big wheels and tyres, etc).

See how we go!  :ouch:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:42:18 pm by mungus »
Grumpy old git!

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 12:19:12 am »
No clear title no car . Even the shipping yards won't want them on Their property . Who knows who owns it , another person ,a bank ,has been stolen and maybe not now but years and years ago . You could loose the car .  Unless the seller can sort this out before you buy it I would walk , but that's what I would do .  I have walked away from plenty because they did not have a clear title or no title on hand . You are in Australia and its hard enough to sort out when your over there . A rego paper does not prove owner ship ,and over in the US so many people don't bother changing it into there name ,but the seller must sign it when they sell it . Be careful .

I am sure you have heaps of experience however you are incorrect in relation to this situation.
Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 08:34:00 am »
USA to AUST ,ok fair enough as I have only bought Cars from CA,NV and AZ and shipped  out of long beach CA and always played it safe  and always make sure the car has a title on hand .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:53:24 am by GLENN 70 »

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 02:07:25 pm »
Yes that is correct, all west coast and mid west states require a title and it is a mess to try and get one if the seller doesn't have one.

On the east coast there are several states that don't issue titles for vehicles, especially older vehicles.

It is always best to check with a company that has shipped vehicles from that state to confirm if it will be released by US Customs.
Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 07:55:20 pm »
I bought my car from New Hampshire and the seller went to the DMV and created a new title for the car.
Apparently this is legal and commonly done in some states, but you do have to do some research as the US Customs do check to see if the car is stolen before they allow it to leave the country.
I had the car transported to LA and shipped with no problems.

Offline mustang135

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Naz
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 09:42:43 am »
Just out of interest, how much does it cost to ship directly from NY as compared to LA?

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 10:21:22 am »
Just out of interest, how much does it cost to ship directly from NY as compared to LA?

Last time I checked (2014) it was about $400 more.  Be aware the shipping time is much longer.
Cheers,
Brian