66 Coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 Coupe  (Read 7738 times)

Offline luke_007

• Stallion
66 Coupe
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:57:35 pm »
Hey all,

Thought I'd post up my coupe now seeing as shipping has been paid and it will be on the boat within 3 weeks I'm told.

It's a 66 coupe that was originally a T code (6 cyl) but has been converted to a V8. She's a bit of a fixer upperer, the paint is very average and will definitely need a respray, the body looks to be pretty straight though, and only one rust patch as you can see in the photos.

Here is what the ad said it came with:

-new front suspension
-Disc Brake conversion S.S.B.C brakes and master cylinder
-red and white pony interior front buckets and rear bench 
-4 speed top loader rebuilt
-rebuilt ford 9"
-five new Road hugger tires and American Racing wheels Matching spare tire 

and the engine:

1985 ford 5.0 302 bored .30 over with MSD ignition, Edelbrock RPM performer intake, and Holley 750cm double pumper carb. All new fuel lines. New Edelbrock water pump billet pulley and assembly. new fuel pump new ford racing plug wires k&n air filter comp cam street cam, long tube hooker headers, billet custom crank pulley and water pump pulley chrome mounting brackets 

and some photos:

Body:

It looks like they've tried to go for a 'shaved' look on the window chrome:

The interior:

Donk:

Rust:

:(

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
66 Coupe
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:40:04 am »
Luke, that car will need a complete roof. It is way worse than Ash & Mandy's coupe was (hooken a brother up thread).

I find good ones here all the time & can get them to Ken (at Hayward) for shipping to where ever your nearest port is. The other thing is I know where they have to be cut so you can fit easily. The car will need 2 full 1/4 panels as well to allow the top to be fitted. (see hybrids thread for the 1/4 pics)

Let me know.

Offline luke_007

• Stallion
66 Coupe
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:20:24 pm »
So it will definitely need a new roof? There's no possibility of repairing it?

If so that's pretty damn disappointing, especially if the quarters have to be replaced, they weren't replaced on the car long ago...

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
66 Coupe
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:33:34 pm »
Looks fair apart from what Kerry has said.
Having helped strip Ash's car I reckon you should heed his advice.
The cancer around the lower rear screen area has probably got into the lwr qtrs and boot area.
Did you get an independent inspection report?
"A" pillars and top of screen look a bit tired too.
It's fixable but have patience with it. Budget now for this extra work.
Anyone who is gunna import, absolutely & positively should get a full inspection and written report from someone who is independently trustworthy.
Small outlay now equals big savings later!:(
Good luck, Luke.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Spooky

• Worked
66 Coupe
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:11:02 pm »
Originally posted by luke_007
Thought I'd post up my coupe now seeing as shipping has been paid and it will be on the boat within 3 weeks I'm told.

:(

Hi Luke,
Congrats on the car. Now for the LONG wait for it to get here.:_
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
66 Coupe
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »
Hey Luke,i thought you brought a fastback??

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
66 Coupe
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »
Originally posted by luke_007
So it will definitely need a new roof? There's no possibility of repairing it?

If so that's pretty dang disappointing, especially if the quarters have to be replaced, they weren't replaced on the car long ago...

Definately, as I have repaired heaps of them (Mustangs, usually fastbacks, but a couple of California Specials). If the 1/4s are new & are the complete ones (not the cheapies from the waist line down) then they can be taken off with care , the roof & frame replaced & then the 1/4's reattached.

Not a roof job here, but a fairly extensive repair done to this "one of one" CS (Hawaii car, 390, GT, 4 speed, heater delete)...

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/Downresto/68%20Mustang%20CS/

You can see in this picture how far the roof frame comes down, so the 1/4 must be off for welding to take place.

[IMG=700x525]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/Downresto/68%20Mustang%20CS/0022.jpg[/IMG]

It is not a big a job as it seems. Just some work on your part by stripping it out will make it easier on the pocket. Probably 60 to 80 hours of labour if the rear panel below the rear window has gone as well. Roof as I said can be delivered to Ken at Hayward to ship to your nearest port.

Where are you?

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
66 Coupe
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:51:45 pm »
Originally posted by IGALOP
Looks fair apart from what Kerry has said.
Having helped strip Ash's car I reckon you should heed his advice.
The cancer around the lower rear screen area has probably got into the lwr qtrs and boot area.
Did you get an independent inspection report?
"A" pillars and top of screen look a bit tired too.
It's fixable but have patience with it. Budget now for this extra work.
Anyone who is gunna import, absolutely & positively should get a full inspection and written report from someone who is independently trustworthy.
Small outlay now equals big savings later!:(
Good luck, Luke.

Actually the photos point out the damage so there were no surprises there. In one shot there is a finger pointing to the roof rail section, so I would assume the text of the message sent, was indicating rust. Same with the trunk opening corner pic.

This car was inspected, I feel, so the faults were known. Just the extent of the fix may have been a little more than expected.

However as I have said above, easily fixed with the correct parts & method.

Offline luke_007

• Stallion
66 Coupe
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:05:36 pm »
This car was inspected, I feel, so the faults were known. Just the extent of the fix may have been a little more than expected.

Yeah exactly right Kerry, didn't realise that the whole roof would have to be replaced. 60 - 80 hours at say $50 an hour is going to cost me more than I paid for the car though...

Hey Luke,i thought you brought a fastback??

Yeah I did Brett, I'm just bringing this over first to resell to make a dollar or two on (hopefully) before the fastback comes over.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
66 Coupe
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:49:03 pm »
Luke, Capital Classics have  a complete rear half of a 66 available with excellent  roof and I think the quarters are  sound also. Might save some time and money doing a cut and shut.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
66 Coupe
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:33:30 am »
Hi Luke, I just sent you an email with pics of the rear clip.

Offline luke_007

• Stallion
66 Coupe
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »
Picked the coupe up this arvo. Good to have it home :)

Offline luke_007

• Stallion
66 Coupe
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:18:46 pm »
Got to do some work on the car over the weekend.

Pulled the engine and gearbox out of the car... had to make up a little bracket which bolted on using the gearbox bolts as I don't have an engine lift plate at the moment (but I've ordered one)

Then cleaned up then engine bay with degreaser, removed what was left of the export braces on the shock towers and gave it a light sand to rough the paint up. Then gave it two coats of chasiscote which is semi gloss.

Camera ran out of batteries so I only had my phone camera which is fairly average quality.

Before:
[IMG=700x525]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/lukey_007/Coupe%20Resto/IMG_0304.jpg[/IMG]

Bracket for removing engine:
[IMG=700x525]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/lukey_007/Coupe%20Resto/IMG_0307.jpg[/IMG]

Engine removal:
[IMG=700x525]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/lukey_007/Coupe%20Resto/IMG_0308.jpg[/IMG]

Engine bay before:
[IMG=700x525]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/lukey_007/Coupe%20Resto/IMG_0310.jpg[/IMG]

Engine bay after:
[IMG=700x525]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/lukey_007/Coupe%20Resto/IMG_0316.jpg[/IMG]

302 Cleveland waiting to go in:
[IMG=700x525]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/lukey_007/Coupe%20Resto/IMG_0318.jpg[/IMG]

Offline bages

• Thoroughbred
66 Coupe
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:32:22 am »
how did you go putting the cleveland in?