Remove Heater Unit

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Remove Heater Unit  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1966 Coupe GT
Remove Heater Unit
« on: September 28, 2021, 08:58:53 am »
Hi all. I will be getting a Vintage Air genII cool only ac unit installed in my ‘66 coupe soon. It has the usual box style vents but doesn’t integrate with the factory heater box at all. Unfortunately I will have to cut down the existing full length floor console to make room.

I want to remove the whole heater unit and just leave the obsolete slide control panel in the dash as I don’t see a need for heat or defrost functions here in Sunny Qld.

Can i blank off the firewall holes and then just leave it at that. I understand I’ll lose the fresh air vent under the dash on the passenger side but we don’t use it now anyway as the quarter vent window is fine. 

Can it be done or what am I missing?

Cheers

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
Re: Remove Heater Unit
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 10:52:06 am »
My vintage air unit bolted in place of the heater plenum and blower motor. Came with a cover panel on firewall for the blower motor and comes with servo style slide switches that mount to the existing controls.

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 11:20:03 am »
Hi Dingo80. Is your AC a heat, cool & defrost unit. Mine is cool only so just has the two water hoses through the firewall and doesn't integrate with or replace the factory heater setup.The fan and temp controls are on the front of the head unit and don't utilise the factory slide setup. On the Vintage Air website its shown under Builder Series > Heritage > Under Dash Cool Only

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 01:11:40 pm »
Hi all. I will be getting a Vintage Air genII cool only ac unit installed in my ‘66 coupe soon. It has the usual box style vents but doesn’t integrate with the factory heater box at all. Unfortunately I will have to cut down the existing full length floor console to make room.

I want to remove the whole heater unit and just leave the obsolete slide control panel in the dash as I don’t see a need for heat or defrost functions here in Sunny Qld.

Can i blank off the firewall holes and then just leave it at that. I understand I’ll lose the fresh air vent under the dash on the passenger side but we don’t use it now anyway as the quarter vent window is fine. 

Can it be done or what am I missing?

Cheers

If you remove the heater demister unit you will make the vehicle unroadworthy.
Just an FYI
Cheers.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 03:29:27 pm »
Why would it be unroadworthy?  You could actually order a new car from the factory with a full heater delete kit fitted. Mostly in the warmer US states and for cars destined to be raced and for the Shelbys all for weight saving. I’m hunting for the parts now.

Offline Chris66pny

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 66 Mustang
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 03:39:43 pm »
Just went through this whole demister thing myself. I hate the look of the heater hoses in the engine bay and wanted to delete them but was told i needed a demister for a roadworthy (Im not that concerned as the car isnt legally roadworthy anyway!). After digging through the ACT roadworthy check list it only states that a "provision exists for demisting the windscreen", in my eyes that means a small electric demister would do the job!

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 03:50:26 pm »
Why would it be unroadworthy?  You could actually order a new car from the factory with a full heater delete kit fitted. Mostly in the warmer US states and for cars destined to be raced and for the Shelbys all for weight saving. I’m hunting for the parts now.

In the USA perhaps but in Australia it is a RWC item.
https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/QLVIM_Sep21.pdf?la=en
I am not having a go at you just making you aware.
Cheers.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 04:07:38 pm »
I appreciate the heads up and will see if I can find a work around for the demister issue.

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 12:34:39 pm »
I think this unit will work nicely as an alternate defroster system if I ever need to complete another roadworthy. Otherwise i'll roll without one and i will fabricate a rh side fresh air vent from the old unit to look a little like this original factory option if I cant track down the genuine part

Cheers