Prostate Cancer - My Experience

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Prostate Cancer - My Experience  (Read 28193 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Re: Prostate Cancer - My Experience
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2019, 12:51:31 pm »
do you want to enjoy fishing with your sons
do you want to walk your daughter down the aisle on her wedding day
do you want to enjoy playing & watching your Grandchildren grow up
do you want to enjoy your retirement with your wife or partner

Not particularly though a wife/partner would be desirable.

I'm happily single, can't see myself with kids so will unlikely 'enjoy' any of the above but I do want to live a healthy lifestyle in my older years and hope to be healthy enough with good eyesight and reflexes to still be driving.

s
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:34:45 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline v8ford70

• Stallion
  • Grande
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 1970 Mustang Grande Coupe
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2020, 05:19:12 pm »
Just an update on my experience & Especially to keep this topic ALIVE & a REMINDER if you haven't done anything yet about monitoring your prostate health to PLEASE start.I have had 2 more consultations & PSA results have not changed since 2.11.2019 with my readings at >.008 which again is the lowest that the machine can detect which was great news.My next consultation in now going to be in 12 months time.It is very important to keep monitoring your PSA after having your prostate removed. My bladder control has improved (about 90%) & I am still going to the Mater Hospital 3 times a week & sitting on a magnetic wave chair for 20 minutes a session (been doing this for 24 months).I had my Hernia opperated on twice once in January 2020 then it returned so had another opperation in September 2020.Then was opened up again due to a bacterial infection in the mesh,so mesh was removed & have a 5 inch open incision with padding inserted into it & pump attached,I have been in opperating theater 7 times (once a week and over night stay in hospital) to have internal area cleaned out dressing replaced & pump reattached.The surgeon cannot stitch up the incison until the void is closed.The only good thing is that the infection has gone,so each monday I will return to hospital until it can be stitched up.Not much progress on my 1970 Coupe rebuild this year but the positive is that I am still alive thanks to my PSA monitoring from years ago.  I hope that everyone that have had op's are well on the road to full recovery.And hope to hear their progress.We are very very fortunate to be alive,unlike the other approx 70 men (Husbands,Fathers,Grandfathers,Uncles,Mates etc) that pass away EVERY WEEK in Australia from Prostate Cancer.Please keep spreading the word about Men's Health & help possibly in saving someones life as well as your own.Regards Phil
" Easy Livin " - Uriah Heep

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2020, 05:51:23 pm »
Great to hear you're continuing to improve Phil, and certainly a thread to keep alive (and help us also stay alive!)

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2020, 06:13:16 pm »
Thank you everyone who has shared in this thread. You have opened my eyes to this issue I was not aware of was so common. I have just turned 40 this year and will make sure I get checked next doctors visit for the first time.

Offline v8ford70

• Stallion
  • Grande
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 1970 Mustang Grande Coupe
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2022, 04:08:26 pm »
All the Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year 2023 to all. Time has moved on so quickly since the last post on this thread. I just don't want to see this thread die as keeping it alive could be lifesaving. With me I have been very fortunate that my PSA reading hasn't changed still >.008. And I hope that others here are also on the improve. If we can PLEASE all keep passing the word around to family and mates that a simple free PSA blood test once a year could be their lifesaver. It's so sad that Prostate Cancer is still taking the lives of 70 men each week in Australia and this number CAN be lowered by more people spreading the word. 21,000 diagnosed last year. A question you can ask to start a discussion is What's your PSA reading and who knows it might be the question that saves someone's life. Cheers Phil
" Easy Livin " - Uriah Heep

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2023, 04:14:39 pm »
I have read this thread and I think life is a lottery, planning to live till 83 is not a given.
I often wonder why me, why am I still alive and heathy, I have lost a number of friends, one at a massive aneurism 25, another to brain cancer 29, another to drugs 30, and the list keeps going on and on.
I have a 50% chance to live beyond 75 so plaining no further (potential inherited disease).
I hear so many times people say "when I retire I will do this and that" and they never get there.
Sorry to be so morbid, sometimes its good to talk.
does anyone remember laughter

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2023, 10:15:39 pm »
Exactly, life has no guarantees, and you never know what’s around the corner, it is sad that some people never fulfill their retirement dreams, live for now..!! The future is a gift,