Do you have to degree a new cam ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Do you have to degree a new cam ?  (Read 486838 times)

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
Re: Do you have to degree a new cam ?
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2016, 09:02:34 pm »
your pin is ttoo soft fk . . i will tell you how to drill the gear tomorrow but you cant use the existing hole in the shaft . . does this please you?

1/8th, 3mm yeah ?

So i'm drilling a new hole in the shaft or the gear or both ?

Why can't i get a new pin to fit the existing hole ?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2016, 09:17:07 pm »
Just for my own knowledge if the existing hole on the distributor shaft line up with the sprocket and the teeth are meshing properly why can you not use the existing hole?
Years ago I had a distributor that had sheared the roll pin twice and the roll pin had a split pin down the centre of it which I presumed gave it extra strength, I don't recall if the roll pins were hardened steel (Most likely not).

Roll pins are generally hardened and yes you can use the old hole if all the heights work. You can break the case hardening on the gear using a 1/8 masonry bit sharpened like a speed drill once through that any speed drill will drill it once you are through the hardening. You cant keep drilling the shaft every time a bronze gear fails. My old man was a fitter & turner for years at the BP oil refinery here in Brisbane they drilled everything hard, with masonry bits sharpened, and with some drilling compound. Some of the steels there were way harder then we are talking about here way harder. I've drilled lots of Landrover Disco transfer case drive gears using this process, to do an oiling mod for the gear box main shaft and they are hard as, works every time
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:20:26 pm by shaunp »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2016, 09:32:13 pm »
Rodney what engine was it that the roll pin broke in ?   Did it have an high volume oil pump or did you use something like penrite 50 ,was it a mallory dizzy ?  Was it a 351c ? .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2016, 09:48:25 pm »
Rodney what engine was it that the roll pin broke in ?   Did it have an high volume oil pump or did you use something like penrite 50 ,was it a mallory dizzy ?  Was it a 351c ? .

With a Mallory dual point? I bet.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:04 pm »
Yep that's the one I was thinking of .

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2016, 10:25:15 pm »
When i say i could "file" it i meant i could take the black coating off the end, I didn't go to town on it with a file though.

The pin looks to be  heavy duty going off the coils.

I thought the pin was designed to sheer in the event of a major failure, a fusible link as such like an oil pump seizure etc. If it's made of hardened unobtanium etc it wouldn't sheer and grenade everything else.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:49:46 pm by Fitzy1980 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #531 on: March 18, 2016, 03:19:38 am »
PLEASE DON'T TOUCH THE DISTRIBUTOR UNTIL I AM HERE

Unfortunately, in your particular case you can not use the same hole because you will not be able to get it to line up after you put punch marks on the shaft, therefore, you simply rotate the hole in the gear 180 degrees to the existing hole in the shaft when you reinstall it.

You are better off with a hard pin in your particular case because your pin will be taking more downward load than normal because it is not resting on the block as it was from the factory because the block got the crap ground out of it by the old gear and I cant find a hardened shim to use as a thrust washer between the gear and the block so I am turning it into a Chevy .  :lmao:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:24:37 am by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #532 on: March 18, 2016, 03:27:47 am »
Your roll  pin is also .125" which means it will not be much of a press fit in a hole that is .125".

That style of pin comes in standard duty, medium duty, and heavy duty . . You must use a drill with a starter point or you may enlarge  the hole on the gear when you drill it and then the  pin will fit to loose and you will be fkd, but you can do it however you want because if if flies out and fuks up the gears you now know how to change the cam .  :lmao:

You can also use a split roll pin which might be easier to find but that definitely needs to be a hard one or high carbon steel.

I told ya the distribotor was gonna be the worst part but there is now light at the end of the tunnel.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:29:58 am by barnett468 »

Offline 69ISH

• Worked
  • Name: Rodney
« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2016, 06:00:45 am »
I  am going back  28 odd years ago , it was an electronic dissy and if memory serves me right it was a msd, yes I was running a mellings high volume oil pump, it was 351 clevo that i use to turn to 7500rpm..
I  know the high volume oil pump was most likely the cause of the failure but I was just wondering why you couldn't use the existing holes which I  did and I now know why Barnett is advising not to which now makes sense.
1969 Mustang Sportsroof (8+ year Project are they ever completed)
1969 Cougar Eliminator (Sadly sold)
1972 Gran Torino Sport (Sold)
1968 Mustang Coupe (Sold)
Read about "Eliminators" below
http://eliminator.mercurycougarregistry.com/

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2016, 06:24:51 am »
I was just wondering why you couldn't use the existing holes which I  did and I now know why Barnett is advising not to which now makes sense.

yeah, if the gear has a tight press fit, the only way to get it to line up with the existing hole in the shaft is by pure luck because you can not rotate the gear on the shaft, and if it is clocked just .002" off, you will never get the pin in, therefore, its simply easier to drill a new hole.

in a case where both gears match and the pres fit is very light, you can absolutely use the orig hole because you can rotate the gear on the shaft with little effort, and that is also the preferred method in these cases.

this entire deal has just been a f'n nightmare solely because the gear depth was not checked when the distributor was installed, and the incorrect depth could have easily been corrected in less than 2 friggen minutes, now even his block is fkd because of these retards so i have to do something unorthdox to prevent further damage which is also fkd.

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2016, 09:06:36 am »
 :cry:

Another day, another drama...

Ok, ill sort the bit this morning and hopefully the roll pin from somewhere.

Question though. Rotating the gear 90 degrees and drilling a new hole, wont the holes then intersect one another ? Wouldn't this weaken the the shaft?

Or am i drilling the whole below the existing one ?

Also, how tight should "press fit" be? I've read that some have needed a press, some are slight interference fit.

Ok,

Found the roll pins.

What size pin and what size and type of bits ?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:11:32 am by Fitzy1980 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #536 on: March 18, 2016, 09:14:36 am »
:cry:

Another day, another drama...

Ok, ill sort the bit this morning and hopefully the roll pin from somewhere.

Question though. Rotating the gear 90 degrees and drilling a new hole, wont the holes then intersect one another ? Wouldn't this weaken the the shaft?

Or am i drilling the whole below the existing one ?

Also, how tight should "press fit" be? I've read that some have needed a press, some are slight interference fit.

Yes the holes will intersect. Yes this will weaken the shaft. No it will not bend or break with the extra hole unless you drive over it with your new, $90,000.00 multi fuel landcruiser. :lmao:

try to lightly fit the pin in the new gear by around 2 mm just for fun, the pin might be slightly larger in one direction.

You will NOT need a press to install the gear after we are done . Just don't put really deep punch marks in the shaft.

I will post exactly what you need to do in around 30 minutes . it will be easy...for ME .  :lmao:

DID THE PIN COME OUT EASY OR HARD?

DO YOU HAVE A GOOD FINE TOOTH FILE?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:22:09 am by barnett468 »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #537 on: March 18, 2016, 09:17:22 am »
Should just throw the fuk'n thing in my carry on. I'll be in CA in july  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #538 on: March 18, 2016, 09:20:02 am »
Should just throw the fuk'n thing in my carry on. I'll be in CA in july  :lmao:

Bummer, I will conveniently be out of town that month

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #539 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:22 am »
...with Caitlin .  :lmao:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #540 on: March 18, 2016, 09:28:03 am »
The pin from the new distributor took a bit of effort to get out. It also looks like it tapers towards one end.

The new gear wasn't overly tight though. Came off by hand after a little bit of effort

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #541 on: March 18, 2016, 09:30:45 am »
The pin from the new distributor took a bit of effort to get out. It also looks like it tapers towards one end.

The new gear wasn't overly tight though. Came off by hand after a little bit of effort

Ok, measure both ends of the pin then try to lightly install the smaller end 2 mm deep into the new gear.

If you can easily find a pin, you can probably use that one, HOWEVER, since it will take you a week to assemble the engine, it might still be best to order one . We can set the gear today then all you need to do is drill it.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:33:46 am by barnett468 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #542 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:23 am »
Barnett don't leave town ,he is coming  all the way over to drink a lot of FOSTERS with you , because you like it so MUCH  :cheers:   :smilies:  :sick:  together   :thumb:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #543 on: March 18, 2016, 09:34:00 am »
...with Caitlin .  :lmao:

He was busy...

In and around the Carson area

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #544 on: March 18, 2016, 09:34:36 am »
Barnett don't leave town ,he is coming  all the way over to drink a lot of FOSTERS with you , because you like it so MUCH  :cheers:   :smilies:  :sick:  together   :thumb:

Bummer, that's the month I detox .  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #545 on: March 18, 2016, 09:36:58 am »
Ok, measure how far the gear is from the end of the distributor shaft . Do this several times until you get consistent readings.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #546 on: March 18, 2016, 09:38:48 am »
Put a line around the shaft with a felt pen next to the top and the bottom of the gear.

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #547 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:39 am »
Before i do all that, do i need the new pin(s) and drill bit(s) ??

Because ill have to go now and get them, i won't have time later today.

If so what size, type, length etc of the pin

and what bit

I can get the pin into the Crane gear maybe a couple of mm or so. Crane gear only has 1 hole, no hole on the other side.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #548 on: March 18, 2016, 10:04:18 am »

Remove the gear.

Lay the distributor on its side then support the shaft under the hole in the shaft.

Rotate the shaft so the hole is facing upwards

Starting from around 10 mm below the felt pen mark, put 4 evenly spaced punch marks running the length of the shaft with the last one ending up around 10 mm above the lower pen mark.

Rotate the shaft 90 degrees and do the same thing

Rotate the shaft 90 degrees and do the same thing.

Rotate the shaft 90 degrees and do the same thing.

Take a fine file and just barely file the holes . If you do not have a fine file, you can lightly sand them with 220 thru 400 wet/dry sand paper and water or WD40.

Clean the shaft thoroughly.

Put the distributor in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Put the gear in the oven at 200 degrees after the distributor has been in the fridge for 10 minutes.

Remove the distributor after a total of 15 minutes then clamp the shaft next to the distributor using a rag to protect it.

Put cam oil on the shaft where the punch marks are.

Grab the gear with some gloves and clock it s the hole is around 90 degrees away from the hole in the shaft.

Install the gear . You will need a deep socket or an open end 13 to 14 mm wrench . If you use the wrench, lay it on the gear and straddle the shaft [oh sounds like fun!] with it then hid the wrench.

Put the gear at the same depth you previously measured.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #549 on: March 18, 2016, 10:06:19 am »
Before i do all that, do i need the new pin(s) and drill bit(s) ??

Because ill have to go now and get them, i won't have time later today.

If so what size, type, length etc of the pin

and what bit

I can get the pin into the Crane gear maybe a couple of mm or so. Crane gear only has 1 hole, no hole on the other side.

You need the same drill bit i told you two times you need . 1/8" COBALT or CARBIDE with a starter/pilot point . If it does not have a starter/piolot point, forget it, you will have to order one.

Try to get a pin if you can . If the pin does not say high carbon or hardened, it may break.

IF THE SMALLER END OF THE OLD PIN GOES IN THE GEAR FAIRLY EASILY, YOU NEED A NEW PIN.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:16:35 am by barnett468 »