Do you have to degree a new cam ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Do you have to degree a new cam ?  (Read 482641 times)

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: Do you have to degree a new cam ?
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:55 am »
Why would anyone grind it down ??

Because they are F###in RETARDS!

I is possible that the lower hole in the block for the distributor shaft was not plunged all the way thru which is possible but highly unlikey.

it is also possible that they gave the job of installing the distributor to the guy that dumps the trash and sweeps the floor and when it did not go in all the way because he did not have the oil pump drive lined up, he thought the hole in the block was tight so he ground it down for clearance.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2016, 09:59:49 am »
It is a Windsor dizzy and not a modified clevo dizzy right .

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2016, 10:04:17 am »

It is also possible that they gave the job of installing the distributor to the guy that dumps the trash and sweeps the floor and when it did not go in all the way because he did not have the oil pump drive lined up, he thought the hole in the block was tight so he ground it down for clearance.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I just said the exact same thing to the Mrs.

He has been building engines for 40+ years and unless he was having a few  :beer: i can't see him making simple errors that someone with that experience would make with the distributor.

Which made me think maybe once the engine was done, it was passed on for other people in the shop to finish off.

So should i add a new distributor to the list  ???  :toetapping: :toetapping: :lmao:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2016, 10:05:24 am »
It is a Windsor dizzy and not a modified clevo dizzy right .

PN# 8352 pro billet

289/302 ready to run.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #404 on: February 28, 2016, 10:16:43 am »
I take that question back as I was only joking  :thumb:   I meant to say a Chevy dizzy  :lmao:   :cry:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #405 on: February 28, 2016, 10:27:31 am »
He has been building engines for 40+ years and unless he was having a few  :beer: i can't see him making simple errors that someone with that experience would make with the distributor.

i have seen that happen before, HOWEVER, that engine has HIS NAME ON IT . This means that he is still ultimately responsible and if he gave it to his retard to finish, he himself is retarded for doing that.

this is not a $5,000.00 ebay engine . you paid at least 3 times that, therefore he should have done the ENTIRE engine himself s he is still a f'n idiot either way.

The shop i was involved in warranteed the work so even if the lot boy fkd something up, the shop still had to warranty it.

We will see if you need a distributor.

1. Inspect the hole to see if there is damage at the bottom or casting flash as though the hole was not bored all the way thru.

2. Borrow or steal another distributor to install.

Measure the od of the bottom of the shaft.

If the shaft is silver, color it with black felt pen or dykem.

Install the distributor . You may have to rotate the rotor slightly to get the oil pump drive to engage . If you have to force the dist downward, the hole is fkd.

If it goes in, install the clamp

Try to lift up on the distributor shaft . If the shaft does not lift, remove the clamp.

Rotate the dist 10 turns.

Remove dist and post a photo of the shaft.

amore for that than i hdt

Which made me think maybe once the engine was done, it was passed on for other people in the shop to finish off.

So should i add a new distributor to the list  ???  :toetapping: :toetapping: :lmao:
[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:11:12 pm by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #406 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:43 am »
I take that question back as I was only joking  :thumb:   I meant to say a Chevy dizzy  :lmao:   :cry:
ummm GLENN, don't ya think it's just a little to early to be hittin the sauce? .

:lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #407 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:40 am »
ummm GLENN, don't ya think it's just a little to early to be hittin the sauce? .

:agree:

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #408 on: February 28, 2016, 10:45:22 am »
The slight raised bit on the bottom of the distributor gear. Is that supposed to sit on the pad in the block ? or is it supposed to have a bit of clearance.

I assume thats what has ground those grooves in the block

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #409 on: February 28, 2016, 10:49:20 am »

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #410 on: February 28, 2016, 10:56:44 am »
You probably want the 83521 as it comes with the steel gear.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Distributors/Ford/83521_-_Ford_289-302_Ready-To-Run_Distributor_Steel_Gear.aspx

If they installed the bronze gear themselves has it not been put on with the proper clearances ?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #411 on: February 28, 2016, 11:25:29 am »
The slight raised bit on the bottom of the distributor gear. Is that supposed to sit on the pad in the block ? or is it supposed to have a bit of clearance.

I assume thats what has ground those grooves in the block.

The gear rides on the block, HOWEVER, many people set them up incorrectly so they do not rids on the block and seem to have no prob with breaking the pin.

The gear is forced downward by the rotation of the cam.

There is "supposed" to be oil coming upward thru that hole to lubricate the block where the gear rides.

Your block is worn because it either has low nickel content or there was no clearance when the gear was first installed . This is the clearance I was having you check but you don;t have the tool for it.

If the gear is binding on the block a little, it will wear the block and destroy the gear...hmmm.

If it is binding a lot, it will simply break the pin in the dist gear.

My guess at this point is that the height of the pad in the block is slightly high and the end play of the distributor is too small and the gear was binding a little when it was installed . This would explain everything.

My other guess is that the groove in the front of your cam retainer is intentionally machined into it . This would also explain why you can get no ore than around .014" feeler gauge in there.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:05:03 pm by barnett468 »

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #412 on: February 28, 2016, 11:42:41 am »
Pull it out and send it to Woody and Rob, who knows what else they did/didn't do. Have them strip it and freshen it up . who knows what the crank clearances etc are. Send them the lot including the disy, worn cam et etc, tell them how you want it run rpm bands etc, and let Woody pick the cam and fix whats Broken shit

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #413 on: February 28, 2016, 11:47:08 am »
I totally agree Shaun  :thumb:  Stop mucking around and get this thing done correct .

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #414 on: February 28, 2016, 12:44:05 pm »
No way, why get it done when you can post hundreds of replies twiddling about the issue...  :smile01:
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #415 on: February 28, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »
No way, why get it done when you can post hundreds of replies twiddling about the issue...  :smile01:

If your happy to write me a cheque for min $3k by all means. :lol:

That's the min i've been quoted by over 1/2 dozen shops. Sky's the limit according to one shop.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #416 on: February 28, 2016, 01:03:04 pm »

That's the min i've been quoted by over 1/2 dozen shops. Sky's the limit according to one shop.

...and these all come with a 90 day warrantee!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:10:14 pm by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #417 on: February 28, 2016, 01:03:58 pm »
...or was that a 90 second warrantee? .  :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #418 on: February 28, 2016, 01:07:40 pm »

Oh...I forgot . This forum isn't for learning what is wrong with a car and how to fix it . . It is simply a referral forum where you can find out where to take it to pay someone else to fix it for you.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:09:29 pm by barnett468 »

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #419 on: February 28, 2016, 01:12:46 pm »

Is that just labor only to do the repair or is that to completely disassemble and reassemble it etc?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2016, 01:19:33 pm »
I'd say 3k would be close to the money assuming the rest is ok. I just think you've picked tuff gig to learn how to build an engine, not like its stock engine. A high end engine  that may or may not screwed together right.

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #421 on: February 28, 2016, 01:28:46 pm »
$3k was probably the average and it was a very big "maybe" so it could be $4k -$5k who the frig knows.

That was only gear and cam, disassembly, etc. But there was tune and dyno time on top of that.

So all in all i may as well have a blank cheque ready.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #422 on: February 28, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »
$3k was probably the average and it was a very big "maybe" so it could be $4k -$5k who the frig knows.

That was only gear and cam, disassembly, etc. But there was tune and dyno time on top of that.

So all in all i may as well have a blank cheque ready.

That would easily be $2000 more to tear the entire engine apart then for a grand total of $5000.00.

If you dropped that off at our shop in the US and we changed the cam and distributor gear, the labor would have been around $1600.00 usd or $2245.00 aud and this would have included PROPERLY setting up the gear mesh AND it would have come with a warranty.

I need to move to oz so I can charge way more AND not be held responsible for my work . Your mechanics have it made over there.

Offline Fitzy1980

• Blue Printed
  • I'm new here
« Reply #423 on: February 28, 2016, 01:54:09 pm »
That would easily be $2000 more to tear the entire engine apart then for a grand total of $5000.00.

If you dropped that off at our shop in the US and we changed the cam and distributor gear, the labor would have been around $1600.00 usd or $2245.00 aud and this would have included PROPERLY setting up the gear mesh AND it would have come with a warranty.

I need to move to oz so I can charge way more AND not be held responsible for my work . Your mechanics have it made over there.

Mechanics are like plumbers here... :lmao:

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #424 on: February 28, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »
If I do find out that the Crane gear is 001" too small, you can have any regular machine shop ream it out another .001" but they would need the dist also.