65 mustang drum power booster conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 mustang drum power booster conversion  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Tigers53

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Peter
65 mustang drum power booster conversion
« on: July 19, 2019, 11:25:17 pm »
Hi
Hoping someone can help. Recently installed an original Bendix booster (rebuilt) to my 65 mustang drum car. Also new Master Cylinder was added. My concern is there is a bit of pedal movement before activation takes place & if you want to apply the brakes gently you really have to concentrate on the pedal pressure you apply because it doesn't take much for the brakes to react aggressively. Is this normal for Drum/ power booster brakes of this era.
I would be interested in feed back from other owners with a similar brake set up.
cheers
Peter

Online Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
Re: 65 mustang drum power booster conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 10:39:20 am »
Are you getting brake lockup or just aggressive application to all four wheels?
My car had four wheel drum brakes without the booster for fifty years until i converted to discs fronts.
Better brake performance now.
What made you want to change yours?
Is the new master a correct drum/drum one and not a disc /drum master cylinder.

Offline Tigers53

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:16:26 pm »
Thanks for yr reply.The master cylinder is definitely for drum brake application. I guess you could describe it as brake lock up. I don't know if I am just comparing my daily driver (2 yrs old) which is discs all round. Basically when talking to other owners at different meets who had drum / PB combo they all said their braking was much better & easier. Given I wanted to keep the vehicle as close to original as possible I found an old mustang Bendix booster from Griffs in Ballarat, had it rebuilt, installed it all & here we are.   

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 02:44:02 pm »
What a lot of people do not look at when fitting boosters is the push rod length, quite critical too correct operation, this is just one but you can buy them a lot cheaper. Click on the 'instruction'.

https://baer.com/Push-Rod-Length-guage-6801279.html

Online Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.

Offline Tigers53

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 02:27:31 pm »
thanks to all the replies, i took the car out for a good test drive this morning after reading the various posts & I have come to the conclusion that the brakes are ok & its the driver who has to adapt to the softer pedal / application compared to the manual system I previously had.
cheers
to all

Offline aussie trev

• Worked
  • you must have toys
  • Name: trevor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 03:44:25 pm »
You mite want to check the reaction pad in booster.it sits behind the master cylinder rod.  They can flaw into the booster which gives you a long pedal and a sudden brake application

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 10:18:31 pm »
its the driver who has to adapt to the softer pedal / application compared to the manual system I previously had.
Amen to that, found the same. I upgraded a Mustang from unassisted drum both ends, to power discs up front using the correct booster & pedal, and what a difference. The brakes did grab faster so I had to adjust to that. But the upside was that I no longer had to use all my body weight on the pedal to pull the car up in a panic stop.