Thermofan operation

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Thermofan operation  (Read 24471 times)

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Re: Thermofan operation
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 03:00:50 pm »
That sort of cash would buy you a really nice (tried & tested) mechanical fan & shroud. No wiring required & no need for a big ass alternator. Just sayin'.

Evan.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gonads
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 03:40:09 pm »
Don't want a mechanical fan as they tend to put drag on the engine, and I need every ounce of power I can get because I dont have much  :grin:

The Deral fan is bought and paid for, lucky because it was the last one on ebay.

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 04:46:13 pm »
Electrical energy is not free,
You would be surprised how much horsepower is required to drive an alternator putting out 30 amps. (not far from a belt driven fan!!)
Big current draw fans don't save horsepower.
Brushless Territory fans don't use many amps = low horsepower to drive the alternator = fuel economy (that's why they use them)
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 05:59:18 pm »
Point taken.

Still an engine will have more HP without a mechanical fan than with, that's why I would rather stick with a thermo.

Offline peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 06:02:31 pm »
I agree 100%
The choice of fan is the key.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 06:20:10 pm »
Just looked up the Derale fan at Summit and according to their website this fan is a 2 speed fan, is that right guys?

Got any pics of how you mounted it guys?

Offline isparkles

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 08:41:49 pm »
Just thought Id put my 2 cents in. I had a 17" thermo with a switch that measured temp, adjustable, kicked in blah blah and my mild 302 kept overheating. No shroud mind you, mechanics in the area said the thermos don't need one, I dont agree but that's what 2 of them said. I put a plastic flex fan with original shroud and my cooling issues ceased. Before anyone jumps in, yes the thermo was blowing the correct way. I also have a territory and tried fitting the single fan an didn't have clearance from the water pump on a 302 using a 3 core radiator in a 70 mustang. As for standard wiring, depends where you pull the power from, you may need a relay, my one had one and the fan worked as expected.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 12:08:15 am »
It is a single speed fan. If your not sure go get the PDF instruction manual from the manufacturer. My old one is a single speed unit though accepting they could have changed the product - the PDF shows it is a single speed. Two wires only to the Fan motor equals single speed.

As far as photos - I would need to check to see if I still have some.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 11:38:31 pm »
Looks like your right Boof its a single speed fan, ad at summit must be wrong.

I'd appreciate a photo on how you guys installed this thermo fan? Just not sure what you mean by mounting it to the radiator side mounts?

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 02:52:50 pm »
Took the car out today in 31C weather to confirm for me that this thermo is just not up to it. Driving around the streets, giving the car a bit of stick the engine got to around 95C even though the thermo was set at 90C. So if the weather gets hotter and i'm stuck in traffic looks like I could be in trouble. Good thing i've bought the higher power thermo, it should do the job.

Offline Moff9

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 06:37:27 pm »
I agree 100%
The choice of fan is the key.
Peter.

Hi Peter, is the Territory fan fitted on the outside of the radiator pushing air through the radiator or on the inside pulling it through ?  It sounds like the ideal fan !

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 06:40:43 pm »
Looks like your right Boof its a single speed fan, ad at summit must be wrong.

I'd appreciate a photo on how you guys installed this thermo fan? Just not sure what you mean by mounting it to the radiator side mounts?

I just got this new 3 core made and the Derale mounted as pictured. Mounting position top and bottom. You could clip it to the side mount of your existing radiator. Fabricate some bracket's
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:44:54 pm by jimyd »

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »
And

Offline peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 07:09:20 pm »
Hi Peter, is the Territory fan fitted on the outside of the radiator pushing air through the radiator or on the inside pulling it through ?  It sounds like the ideal fan !

It is mounted on the inside.
Try before you buy..Power one up and try to hold it!
Peter.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »
I just got this new 3 core made and the Derale mounted as pictured. Mounting position top and bottom. You could clip it to the side mount of your existing radiator. Fabricate some bracket's

I've got bolt holes down the bottom of my radiator which are for auto cooling so it could be mounted to them but I don't have any up the top of my radiator. I'll wait until it comes in and try and work something out. Worst case scenario it will have to be mounted with the plastic zips.

Offline isparkles

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Pete
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2019, 12:58:51 pm »
Was setup for pulling. There wasnt enough room from the water pump pulley to clear the motor for the territory fan. I have a chev (booo right?) with the Ford EL twin thermos as it had the same clearance issues with the waterpump pulley and the single fan motor, the twin el fans work awesome. Cools the car right down, chev isnt a grocery getter either.