Thermofan operation

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Thermofan operation  (Read 24551 times)

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Gonads
Thermofan operation
« on: February 05, 2015, 06:06:00 pm »
Just wanting to understand the rating of a thermofan in regards to amps.

My current thermofan has a sticker on it which says its a 12V and 80Watt single 14inch thermo. Been looking at a few thermo's and been recommended one or two as well. How do I measure how much current my thermo pulls? Secondly if a 13 inch thermo pulls 23 amps with a shroud could this be considered a powerful unit? Checked out a 16 inch Davies Craig unit and these only pull about 19 amps. It would be surprising to me if a 13inch thermo was in fact more powerful than a 16inch Davies Craig.

After doing a test this morning on another sender, I have come to the conclusion that the current thermo is really borderline in bringing the temp down at all. Compared to my twin set on my Torana its a massive difference between the two.

This is the unit i'm looking at. It delivers 2150 cfm which is also more than the Davies Craig 16 inch.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/16926/10002/-1

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
Re: Thermofan operation
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 06:49:38 pm »
In very general terms the higher the Amp draw the more air the Fan moves. Use a amp meter inline to measure the Amp draw of the fan under load.

I have used a number of brands and Derale and Spal both have worked well for me. The fan you have linked to I have used in the past and worked fine. It does have a fairly high pitch sound when running though that is not uncommon. It is a smaller diameter than many hence need to run at a higher speed which equals noise. Make sure the wiring can handle the 25 Amp draw it requires. You can melt wire, fuses, fuse boxes/holders etc if not set up or wired correctly.  If you can find an appropriate fan at the wreckers then you will save a few dollars.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:52:57 pm by boofhead »

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:05:46 pm »
Thanks Boof.

If I do decide to get a fan from the wreckers it might be hard to find one that will suit a Mustang radiator, being they are an unusual size. None the less it doesn't hurt to give a few a ring and hopefully I can find one with a shroud. With the location of the trans cooler, it virtually sits right in front of my thermo which isn't ideal at all.

Obviously a 30 amp relay will be fine for a 23 amp draw. As for the fuses and wiring, i'll have to check out that stuff to see what its rated at.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:08:24 pm by Speed Demon »

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:24 pm »
Best fan you will find is Ford territory single fan. (not the twin fan set up)
They work like a helicopter you can't hold them.
Must be genuine not the Chow copies.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 07:48:09 pm »
Cheers Peter.

Do they have a shroud firstly? And will they fit on a Mustang radiator? You would have to think there would be a few available at wreckers. Do you know what sort of cfm and amp draw they deliver?

Offline peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 07:53:03 pm »
Yes they have a shroud.
I have not fitted one to a mustang but I reckon they will be ok for size.
CFM... You cant hold them in you hands when operating = plenty.
Brushless motor... current draw means nothing.
Should be plenty at wreckers.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »
Sounds good.

I am sure I can dig up cfm on the net somewhere and hopefully measurements.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:56:48 pm »
Yes they have a shroud.
I have not fitted one to a mustang but I reckon they will be ok for size.
CFM... You cant hold them in you hands when operating = plenty.
Brushless motor... current draw means nothing.
Peter is spot on with that last statement. You'd expect a more powerful fan to pull more current but that may not always be the case. If you have a poorly designed fan with an inefficient motor, it'll pull plenty of current & give you stuff all cooling. Find the fan that shifts the most amount of air, that's more important.

Evan.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:35:11 pm »
I don't think there would be a much more inefficient thermo fan around than the one I have currently. I've got no doubt it's a cheap Chinese bit of junk.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:08:43 pm »
To roughly work out the current draw (amps), just divide the wattage by the voltage, so 80W/12v=6.66amps

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 10:26:16 pm »
To roughly work out the current draw (amps), just divide the wattage by the voltage, so 80W/12v=6.66amps

Lol no wonder it struggles. What CFM do you think that equates to?

Is this the Territory fan that you guys are talking about?

http://iautostore.com.au/index.php/ford-bf-fg-falcon-fairmont-territory-sy2-single-thermo-radiator-fan-06-6cyl-v8.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:55:03 pm by Speed Demon »

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 12:03:57 am »
Lol no wonder it struggles. What CFM do you think that equates to?

Is this the Territory fan that you guys are talking about?

http://iautostore.com.au/index.php/ford-bf-fg-falcon-fairmont-territory-sy2-single-thermo-radiator-fan-06-6cyl-v8.html

CFM = cubic feet per minute. You need an airflow meter to determine that.

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 01:47:15 am »
This is what I installed in my '66 Coupe
2 years ago
16" Chrome Thermatic Fan (BLACK BLADE) SHORT - Part No: 0190

specs are here:
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Thermatic_Fans-DCSL16__CHROME__BLACK_BLADE__SHORT__12_VOLT___PART_No__0190-details.aspx

Moz

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 07:29:58 am »
I bet there's a good reason why Moz's Davies Craig fan is 3x the price of the other one.......

Evan.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 10:19:30 am »
I bet there's a good reason why Moz's Davies Craig fan is 3x the price of the other one.......

Evan.

I dont think I need something much bigger than the one I have, but from what i've read, a 16inch fan cools a lot more than a 14inch.

I wonder what CFM that Davies Craig fan is because its pulls 19 amps, which is the same as the other Davies Craig 16 inch fan. I think the only difference is that one that Moz posted has a chrome grille. $135 extra for a chrome grille, we really do get ripped off here don't we.

I got a quote on the Deral fan from Jegs. They want to charge me $260 for postage, what a bleeping joke.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:26:04 pm by Speed Demon »

Offline peter9231

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 04:45:15 pm »
Territory Fan.....

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 07:21:46 pm »
I dont think I need something much bigger than the one I have, but from what i've read, a 16inch fan cools a lot more than a 14inch.

I wonder what CFM that Davies Craig fan is because its pulls 19 amps, which is the same as the other Davies Craig 16 inch fan. I think the only difference is that one that Moz posted has a chrome grille. $135 extra for a chrome grille, we really do get ripped off here don't we.

I got a quote on the Deral fan from Jegs. They want to charge me $260 for postage, what a bleeping joke.

I didn't pay that much, I think from memory it cost me $180 after the discounts my friend gave me who works at an Autospares place.

Moz

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 08:02:31 pm »
these are good fans
http://www.vpw.com.au/Category/Index/511709
the 14" has cfm of 1300 low and 1700 high speed 13.8/23 amps
the 17" has cfm of 1725 low and 2100 high speed 17/23.5 amps

I run a plain black davies craig fan
DC-0066 it has cfm of 2010 and 19amp draw. $181 at vpw
I have a custom width radiator which is about 1'5 inch wider than standared and the 16" fan fits with about 10mm to spare
and only has about 10mm clearance from the pulleys.
If i was to buy a new one i would go the hayden fan for better clearance.
oh and i have a strocked 347 with a bit over 400hp and dont have any cooling issues.
sits on about 84deg normally and about 88deg in 30deg plus days

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 08:25:31 pm »
The Derale fans are good, but the cfm you quoted is probably free flow ie. no radiator infront of it
the davies craig fan is typical cfm, which is  when mounted to a standard radiator.
some of the slimline fans probably like what you have say they have 2500 cfm but put a radiator in front of it and they drop to half that

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
Like I said before.  The Derale fan not only fits perfect out of the box. It preform's! Made in USA including a Bosch motor. It moves air and draws amps! 40 deg day in traffic no issues with my old 65. I was so impressed that I bought another for my other 65 I am currently building  and also fitting a new copper 3 core radiator. It is a 13" fan but it does the job.  Some people will try and tell you that a shroud does not make a great difference in performance but it does regardless of how some cars left the factory many years ago. Everything evolves for the better. It also has four relief vents, one in each corner. If you should decide to go this unit ditch the mounting ties that pass through the core and mount it from the radiator side mounts. Of course there are many other fan options. All the best with your decision. Cheers jim
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:51:22 pm by jimyd »

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 11:45:49 pm »
Like I said before.  The Derale fan not only fits perfect out of the box. It preform's! Made in USA including a Bosch motor. It moves air and draws amps! 40 deg day in traffic no issues with my old 65. I was so impressed that I bought another for my other 65 I am currently building  and also fitting a new copper 3 core radiator. It is a 13" fan but it does the job.  Some people will try and tell you that a shroud does not make a great difference in performance but it does regardless of how some cars left the factory many years ago. Everything evolves for the better. It also has four relief vents, one in each corner. If you should decide to go this unit ditch the mounting ties that pass through the core and mount it from the radiator side mounts. Of course there are many other fan options. All the best with your decision. Cheers jim

:thumb:   I did the same including the mounting approach.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 12:10:46 am »

Jim, I love this thermo as well but $260 for postage is a joke. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for postage?

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 05:51:08 am »
I bought it from Jegs e bay store. It was roughly $230 AUD total to my door.
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=400830504569&alt=web

If you try buy it direct from there web site the postage is crazy for some reason.

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 08:56:17 am »
Using ebay stores for Jegs an Summit can result in huge delivery charges saving on big items. Always worth trying to find the items on their ebay stores when it is large. Look at the above for the fan discussed. $44 to deliver.  Good value.

Offline Speed Demon

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 01:45:59 pm »
I bought it from Jegs e bay store. It was roughly $230 AUD total to my door.
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=400830504569&alt=web

If you try buy it direct from there web site the postage is crazy for some reason.

Awesome thanks guys. Any problems with the standard Mustang wiring being able to cope with this fan?

Never mind. After checking my wiring its already been upgraded so it shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:26:11 pm by Speed Demon »