My 1969 Mach 1 Restomod project

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My 1969 Mach 1 Restomod project  (Read 98992 times)

Offline whiplash

• Worked
...and some more progress pics.
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 10:57:24 am »
Saw that 460winnie in Perth Street Car Mag those look like clevo heads !!!! Is it a BOSS460;)

Offline hoss

• Pony
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »
Hey 6T9, havent seen any photo updates lately on your beast??? Hows it progressing?

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 10:35:05 pm »
hi 6t9 what size wheels and offset + tire size did you use tim
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 10:47:11 pm »
Originally posted by fordtj69
hi 6t9 what size wheels and offset + tire size did you use tim

18x11 with 5.25inch BS.   335/30 tyres(PS2 Pilot Michelin)

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 11:41:28 pm »
hi did you narrow the diff housing i am looking 17 x 11 6 inch b/s 295/40 or trying to jam 315/35  stock wheel wells and rev/eye spring may need to reset springs want top of guard to just cover top of tyre what do you think tim;)
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 01:17:03 am »
Originally posted by fordtj69
how did you narrow the diff housing i am looking 17 x 11 6 inch b/s 295/40 or trying to jam 315/35  stock wheel wells and rev/eye spring may need to reset springs want top of guard to just cover top of tyre what do you think tim;)

With 315's on a '69 with a standard width diff, you will need to massage the front inside part of the rear guard. you will need to roll the inside edge of the guards. I don't think you can have an 11" rim(10's yes) with a 6" back space with leaf springs(I dont have leaf springs) with standard diff width.

Here's a good site: https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

Narrow leaf springs will help.
  Like these:
http://www.eps-hane.com/RearLeafSprings.html

Other '69 owners have gone these options: 315's on a 17x10.5 with 6.85bs(1.10" offset wheel)                         18x10 295's with 6.375 and 1/8 spacer.

Offline oz67fb

• Pony
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:01 pm »
Wild can't wait to see it finished..
Patent holder of "boneless chickens"

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 04:00:30 pm »

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 12:51:33 pm »
oh my effing god. . i was reading that thread - scrolling down and saying to myself "oh no the pages is running out" haha - im enjoying reading about it so much !!! smitten for that car mate, you're tackling a monster there - what a weapon.  I cant wait to have a bit of coin to make something with some awesome HP figures... only problem for me is i struggle putting jam on toast let alone taking something apart and building it from scratch. :(  but got some good mechanic mates that I ski race with and they said they'll build an engine if i lgive them the money haha ;)

for now my quick fix for speed is my bike - if you were over this side of aust id love to give ya a run down the quartermile when done, there is hardly any road going cars worthy of it.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 02:52:38 pm »
ha! its funny you mentioned bikes. I'm thinking seriously about getting another bike. Being an andrenalin junky myself, I agree, there is just nothing like a bike for that fix. I havent ridden in over ten years  and I think it's time I did. Sooo many bikes to chose from too!  My biggest fear is not knowing my limits on them. Thats why I got off them many years ago. Hopefully I'm a bit wiser now....

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 07:15:17 pm »
is this well tamed enough ???? haha ha  LOVE it -

9.91 @ 145.5mph at my local drag strip.... stock standard before I did a few modifications, will see what its capable of on the 13th at next round of the superbikesupply shootout

sorry thread hijacked :P

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 01:46:51 am »
dude epic respect for your car over my bike anyways haha - it ways a billion times heavier and will be practically the same down the strip... let alone make people drool EVERYWHERE !

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 07:49:32 pm »
6T9...whats the latest????

Offline philb

• Worked
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 09:16:30 am »
Mate, This is awesome stuff and you've started with the best car. I have a 69 FB also but it will never be a beast to this calibre. I'm impressed. If you need any one off billet stuff made, give me a call, pbarlass@aapt.net.au . I have my own toolmaking workshop in Perth. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Do you have a colour in mind??
Cheers Phil
69 fastback 351W

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 02:13:30 pm »
Cheers phil! The build is into the 5th year now but its getting there slowly.  I might take ya up on that billet stuff. gotta couple of under bonnet ideas.  I love my billet!!! Can you do pulleys?    The pulley on the water pump, which is just a smooth idler(for tension)  is too far forward for correct belt line up. It doesnt work the pump coz its electric. Its just there to help keep the pulley configuration  that I have and can be made a different diameter to go deeper to the  back over the pump  about half an inch more.
     I'm going to paint her with a clean bright red. ie: porsche or mazda red with 'Mach 1' blackouts,spoiler,rear wing and stripes. going to do black around the rear taillights like the boss '69s had.:(

Offline philb

• Worked
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 09:50:24 am »
Hi Russell, yes I can do pulleys. Give me a hoi at my email above on my last post.
69 fastback 351W

Offline mjb0015

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
Fantastic machine!!!! when finished you need to put video on forum for all to hear and see, great car!

mjb

Offline junior

• Worked
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 07:09:47 pm »
MORE PICS !!!

Offline Nays69

• Pony
    • www.myspace.com/nay_nay_
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 11:59:24 pm »
Wow you are doing pretty much what i bought my 69 for... started looking into doing the engine conversion and is such an effort i started wondering why i was bothering, but seeing this has inspired me again! Love the wheels too, whered you get them?

Offline Pradoman

• Pony
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 11:57:51 pm »
I have 265 x 7 x 15s for the front and 295 x 8 x 15s for the back. there mounted on rims but i have yet to fit them to the car
1969 Mach1  S code

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 01:45:51 pm »

I know these photos look like the last, but there has been a lot of welding done. She now sits safely on the ground and is currently having the 'Global West' sub-frames welded in and the Mach 1 rear wing fitted. With all the weight back in her she should drop about an inch, so the killer stance is almost complete(for the rear at least). 2 more payments on the motor and I should have her home at the end of febuary. Almost 2 years to pay for the motor!;x;x  Its basically slowed the whole project to a trickle but as soon as the motor is payed for then things should get moving a lot quicker.
My other concern is with all of my mining friends losing there jobs around me I can't help but feel nervous and am starting to tighten the budget for a while.;1  

Offline Nays69

• Pony
    • www.myspace.com/nay_nay_
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 06:36:10 pm »
Originally posted by 6T9rustang
Originally posted by Nays69
Wow you are doing pretty much what i bought my 69 for... started looking into doing the engine conversion and is such an effort i started wondering why i was bothering, but seeing this has inspired me again! Love the wheels too, whered you get them?

Engine conversion?! what you running dude?   I got the wheels from 'Billet Specialties'    pricey!!!!!!    Just gunna run 8s with 245s on the front.

I got a 6 cyl in mine at the moment

Offline 69mach1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:54 pm »
Cool Nays, well it takes time and lotsa money to get your car to where you want it, they're all works in progress. :( I'll be moving your way this year so could be able to catch up.

Offline Audrey

• Stallion
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 08:45:58 pm »
following ur rebuild is such an inspiration!
and its so great to see the progress.

I've just stripped my stang and shes ready for paint next weekend - however, this being my first rebuild, i am beginning to realise there is SO much more to it then just taking it in for paint building a motor and putting it all back together...

Now that shes apart, I want to take my time and do it properly (as we can all clearly see your doing!) and I really admire all the patience you have had for this rebuild... I only hope I can hold out as long as possible!!  :(

Offline 70 mach 1

• Stallion
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 09:00:08 pm »
I've been following the progress of this car for a long time on more than one site;its simply amazing and I look forward to seeing the finished car.