Ford Australia 1st generation mustangs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ford Australia 1st generation mustangs  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Scottb21

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Ford Australia 1st generation mustangs
« on: May 23, 2021, 02:29:43 pm »
Hi mustangs experts

New to the forum and just joined the club. I have read several articles that Ford Australia imported first generation mustangs and converted them to rhd in the Geelong factory, 200 in 1965 is one article I read. If one came on the market what features would you need to look out for to identify.

Cheers

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1966 Coupe GT
Re: Ford Australia 1st generation mustangs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 04:30:02 pm »

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2021-shannons-winter-timed-online-auction/DSO6D438E1E5SDU1/

Check this one in the current Shannons Auction - highlight the link, right click and follow the prompt Go to......

Cheers

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Re: Ford Australia 1st generation mustangs
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 01:29:42 am »
This info might help. The RHD Mustang conversion program was devised by then Ford Australia Managing Director Bill Bourke. They were to be displayed in dealer showrooms to promote the release of the "Mustang Bred" XR Falcon in September 1966, then sold off. The prototype was a 64.5 model V8 auto coupe converted for Ford Australia by Bill Buckle Auto Conversions in Sydney. In July 1965 a batch of 48 1965 model Mustang V8 auto coupes arrived and were converted to RHD in a shed behind Ford's Homebush Sydney plant. A further 161 cars arrived in December 1965 (1966 models) and also converted at Homebush. At the time they were the only Mustangs ever factory converted by Ford anywhere in the world with each car carrying a Ford Australia ID plate on the inner front guard. Standard equipment included front disc brakes, heavy duty suspension, reversing lights, wheel trims, radio, heater, and a full length console. Mirror conversion dashboards (fabricated by a retired Sydney metal worker in his home garage) differ markedly from improved latter day 65/66 RHD dashboards. Strangely, snorkels were removed from the air cleaners and other identifiers such as an export brace and Ford Motor Company of Australia decals on the door scuff plates are used to verify these rare Australian converted Mustangs.