2016 Mustang GT V8 Exhaust Sound

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 2016 Mustang GT V8 Exhaust Sound  (Read 48995 times)

Offline mstngjpm

• Pony
  • I'm new here
2016 Mustang GT V8 Exhaust Sound
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:21:04 pm »
G'day guys

I've just joined this forum and I am patiently waiting for my car, an Ingot Silver Fastback Auto, to arrive hopefully, late June. I'd like your thoughts on the Exhaust sound for the stock car.
I've gone through a number of road reports, both in print ( Wheels and Motor) and on Youtube reports and there are mixed messages regarding the stock Exhaust sound. Some reviewers think the sound is great, others think it's a bit too quiet. What do you guys who are lucky to already be driving them(!) think?

I do like a nice sounding exhaust as long as it doesn't drone at 100kph. What's the verdict with the stock exhaust?

I have noticed that mustangmotosport. com.au are offering a JBA exhaust for a very reasonable  $1,100
Here's the link:
http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/jba-exhaust-2-5-to-3-x-pipe-cat-back.html
Any of your guys know about this exhaust?
I'd rather not blow my warranty by purchasing this or any other aftermarket exhaust unless I really have to. Only thing that may make me pull the trigger would be if the stock exhaust is really too boring and quiet.  Any thoughts?

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
Re: 2016 Mustang GT V8 Exhaust Sound
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:20:06 pm »
Contact Salthorse on this forum.  He picked up his GT about a month ago and when standing next to it at the Gembrook car show I couldn't hear it running.  He said he had a set of new catback exhausts to fit, so might have done that by now. He could tell you if it has worked, and where he got them from.

Cheers
Shane

Offline mstngjpm

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 05:25:48 pm »
Thanks for that

Any other thought from anyone?

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 05:29:17 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I think I am going to wait until I get mine to see if I am happy with the sound before making an decisions on whether I will change it. I also like a nice exhaust and prefer a deep burble sound personally. However it doesn't hurt to get various opinions along the way and hopefully I will get to listen to a couple before I decide which way to go.

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
  • MOCA (Vic) member - 2709
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 05:30:46 pm »
Wow, I rate a mention in this esteemed forum. Here's my opinion, noting that I haven't had the Roush system fitted yet. The standard system certainly sounds like a V8 is pumping out the sound at the rear end but is quiet inside the cabin with the windows up. The car is very well sound proofed. When the foot is planted, you can hear the purr but it would benefit from an aftermarket system . My dealer advised me that an aftermarket exhaust won't affect the car's warranty; however, the warranty on the exhaust system might be affected. Check out these links from CJPony Parts:

! No longer available and ! No longer available

When I get the time to get it installed I'll post a report with some sound bites.
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

2016 Deep Impact Blue GT manual with Roush exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Deep Purple, “Highway Star” (1971)

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:32:27 pm »
Bugger, PM me and I'll send you the links
Dave

1969 Black Jade Mach 1 with a 351C, 3v closed chamber heads, Comp Cams and lifters, FMX trans with 2500 stall converter, LSD, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM, Sanderson ceramic shorty extractors and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Offline GregC

• Pony
  • MOCA Member Owner of a 2016 GT Manual (Race Red)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 09:59:56 pm »
Suggest you join a forum www.mustang6g.com  It has a large Aussie Section with a lot of local members that sg=hould be able to help you.
Greg

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 10:06:57 pm »
Bugger, PM me and I'll send you the links
Or go to the CJ Pony Parts web site and check out the vid clips on the site.
Dave

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:41:06 pm »
Well I went for a blast in one a couple of weeks ago and I thought the standard exhaust sounded great (with the windows up).
Just driving along at 60 kph it's quiet like any other car, but give it a boot full and you know it's a grunty V8.

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 01:00:03 am »
There's a few Lambos, Ferarris & C63's around my area.....sound like toys, there's a few old muzzies (including mine) & some XY/XW GT Falcons, distinctively nice.....The S550 has a unique quiet V8 purr like no other sound, especially when stepped on... I'm very happy with the decibels & throaty rumble, but I'm almost 65 so don't want the extra attraction. A little bit more dB's at idle would be nice maybe & an aftermarket system might give a bit more HP also, but where can one use it? Overall, I think it's just right & I can't justify spending my retirement funds on sound.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:55:21 pm »
Just had the Roush axle back installed. It was not the nice fit that was promised but with a little profession adjustment it was made to sit nicely. Had it installed with flanges rather the clamp on method. Makes for a good seal but also allows removal and I can put the old mufflers back on if needed . . . with the addition of a flange. I must say that the difference in note is staggering. With the windows up and a bit if gentle acceleration, you can hear a nice burble. At cruising rpm (around 2000), the note is good but not really loud inside the cabin. Harder acceleration, however, lets out a roar that sounds like a Mustang should. The system gives out a far more refined note than the Flowmaster American Thunder system in my '69. In short, I like it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:58:20 pm by Salthorse »
Dave

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Offline ND69

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:45 pm »
We need a sound clip

Please...

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 10:17:12 pm »
I like salthorse have the roush twin and I like it plus the wife loves it   
cheers tim
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline Salthorse

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:37 pm »
We need a sound clip

Please...
I'll get a vid recorded over the weekend if I get the chance and upload it.

Cheers

Dave
Dave

I love it, I need it
I seed it
Eight cylinders all mine
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 10:40:35 pm »
I love the sound of the Roush quad tip axle back. Sound clip at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-PSdKcVhg

Offline MikeG

• Forum Sponsor
  • Pony
  • Phone: 1800 985 925
    • Best Exhaust
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »
The Borla exhausts are a popular bit of kit, and as we are the Australian distributor, the website prices is all you pay - delivery is free and GST & Imports fees are paid.
 :flag:

Have a look and let me know what you think.  I've had plenty of happy customers...

http://www.bestexhaust.com.au/store/gt-c-78_90_215_2262_2087.html

Mike

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 03:09:01 pm »
The Borla exhausts are a popular bit of kit, and as we are the Australian distributor, the website prices is all you pay - delivery is free and GST & Imports fees are paid.

Have a look and let me know what you think.  I've had plenty of happy customers...

http://www.bestexhaust.com.au/store/gt-c-78_90_215_2262_2087.html

Mike

How about the Ford Performance quad tip GT350 with rear valance which I believe is a Borla system (touring).

Offline MikeG

• Forum Sponsor
  • Pony
    • Best Exhaust
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 04:05:12 pm »
We can do these for $4360.00 delivered (unfortunately, as soon as a Ford badge is stamped on it, the price goes through the roof).

These particular kits are in-stock in Australia.  contact us via our website, and we can process orders over the phone, or email you an invoice.

Mike
www.bestexhaust.com.au

Offline MikeG

• Forum Sponsor
  • Pony
    • Best Exhaust
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 04:07:21 pm »
One other thing, although these are made by Borla, they are made to Ford Performance USA specs, so the sound may differ from the Borla offerings.  Just like the factory Ferrari California exhausts are made by Tubi Style (DTS) Italy, but they are made specifically to Ferrari specifications.

Mike

Offline ponydownunder

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Neal
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 10:24:44 am »
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and before I start asking a heap of questions, I thought that I would try and make a contribution first.

I have been lucky enough to install the Roush Axle back system on my 2015 (close to 2016?) GT and am so, so happy with the result.

See the link below for the product and my review. You can also hear it with the video that is there. Easy install with the right tools, although the black mastic type paint put on the undercarriage of the Australian models is quite thick and a pain!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/roush-axle-back-exhaust-stainless-steel-gt-2015-2017/p/CBR19/

Ordered and delivered so quickly all for around $800 AUD.

I had plenty of time to do research and picked this over others, as it said it was quiet at idle and only got loud when you get on it. 100% accurate.

Happy to answer any questions regarding installation etc..

Cheers.

Offline MikeG

• Forum Sponsor
  • Pony
    • Best Exhaust
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 10:44:14 am »
The Borla equivalent is delivered for just over $1400, and pays all Australian taxes and fees, and has a Million Mile warranty.

http://www.bestexhaust.com.au/store/borla-ford-mustang-2015-rear-section-atak-p-14178.html

Not sure what the warranty is like with American retailers, but keep in mind that they are not legally obliged to support/warranty their product, where as Australian retailers are!

That and you get that warm and fuzzy feeling that you're money goes into Australian pockets rather than American pockets.

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:49 am »
My GT convertible is (right now in fact) getting the middle resonator deleted. Apparently this will give a deeper richer V8 sound without droning or so loud it can be heard 8 k's  away.

Cost quoted was $360 and I should be able to let you know what it is like in about 3 hours time.

I did get quotes from $4000 through to amount $1600 for a Cat back of various configurations and brands, then approx. $800 for the Axel back with off the shelf mufflers.

The delete seemed to me to offer a small amount of change, possibly good sound quality improvement, and at a very low price - comparatively.

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 10:44:02 am »
For what its worth - I had a "cat back" Magnaflow Street fitted by one of the forum members

Quick/Friendly install on the system - 90% happy with it (I wanted the deeper sound, more than delivers) but need to sort out the milo tin tips (bit big and a bit too chrome for my liking  :smile01:)

I don't think it "drones" as such but in normal driving (I have an auto) and at slow speed when she is in a high gear it does sound a bit constant - but give it a bit or drive in sport, and she sings a sweet song

cheers

Offline ponydownunder

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Neal
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 11:57:54 am »
Understand what you are saying Mike G, however I had a LOT of time before my car was delivered from when I ordered it (Nov 2014 to March 2016 delivery) so I had the time to do a lot of research and the Roush system was what I wanted in the end.

Unfortunately at the end of last year (when my car was supposed to be delivered- according to FORD Australia) there weren't many Australian suppliers doing after market parts that I could find - besides the FORD dealer I ordered my car through, whose prices were ridiculous - so I looked further afield.

I would love to support Australian businesses that is for sure, however they need to be able to supply what I want at a reasonable price.

Offline MikeG

• Forum Sponsor
  • Pony
    • Best Exhaust
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »
Unfortunately Australian dealers don't have the option of avoiding GST, so we will always be more expensive than buying through foreign suppliers.

I'm looking forward to the day Customs reduces the duty free threshold for imports to below $1000, as this will mean people who buy from overseas will have an extra ~16% to pay (GST plus Duty), which will make it easier for Aussie dealers to stay afloat.

This is the same problem that means Kogan can avoid paying GST & duty on its sub $1000 sales, as they ship direct from China.

Given the amount of R&D and such that goes into Borla, I think they are quite reasonably priced.  There are cheaper options around, and if you cant afford Borla, then go for the cheaper brands...  But don't expect the same levels of testing and quality.

We've been around for 7 years now, and have been selling Mustang systems all that time.

M