Space saving spare wheel for 65

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Space saving spare wheel for 65  (Read 3188 times)

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Space saving spare wheel for 65
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:40:59 pm »
Hi everyone
Does anyone know if there are space saving spare wheels
Available for a 65 stud pattern.
Thanks
Jeff :burnout:

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: Space saving spare wheel for 65
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:13:53 am »
Hey Jeff,
I was thinking the same for my 68 coupe, may just have to bye a skinny rim and tyre! Not much room in the boot with a spare tyre!
Thinking about it my spare won't fit on the front due to the big brakes!
Let me know how you go!
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:22:44 am by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 05:41:17 pm »
I don't know if such a thing exists but I'm not sure it would be worth bothering with. It'll have to be the same diameter, maybe give or take an inch as the road tyre and sitting horizontally in the boot it'll take up just as much space. Any vertical space you gain by it being skinny isn't going to make a lot of difference to what you can put in the boot.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:14 pm »
Hey Jeff,
Thanks for making me think about my spare wheel, I just checked lt and it's only a 14" rim, would be near 1" undersized.
I've only been driving about for 4 years like that!
So I'm on the lookout for a skinny 16" rim and 195/60R16 tyre, close to my tyre diameters!
I checked if BA Falcon etc. Space saving wheels would fit and they have much larger diameters!
Cheers Phil

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:03:04 pm »
Hey Jeff,
What's your stud pattern and tyre size and use this web site to work out something!
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/235-40R18.htm
You may not get a space saver tyre!
Cheers Phil
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:05:26 pm by AussiePhil »

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 05:11:00 am »
Hey Geoff,
You're right, the Falcon space savers are larger diameters to suit modern cars! Smaller car space savers may be better but have a different stud pattern, so you could use a stud pattern adapter! (Maybe worth a thought)
My problem is I also have a big battery box and a fuel surge tank also in the boot.
I have enough room for a Wanderer shade gazebo, a couple of camp chairs, and an esky, so that's about all I need!
I'm not going to save much in height going from 14 x 7" rim and 205 tyre to a 16 x 6" rim and a 195 tyre! (Same circumference)
But Jeff brought up a good subject!
At least for me it made me think and get the right rim / tyre to suit the front rim / tyre!
Cheers Phil.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:12:54 am by AussiePhil »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 09:57:56 am »
Just to confirm your suspicions that I can be a boring old fart sometimes....

My '66 has 225/45/17 road tyres. The spare is 195/75/14. My daily driver has 18 inch road wheels and the space saver spare is 125/90/16 and looks like a pushbike wheel compared to the 255/35/18's on the road wheels.

So assuming you could find a space saver for the Mustang and it was around 125 you'd only be about 70mm better off in vertical space above the spare in the boot of a Mustang compared to a standard 14 inch spare, i.e between the spare and the underside of the boot lid.

So I stick my view that it isn't worth bothering with.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 10:08:33 am »
So I stick my view that it isn't worth bothering with.

Will the 14" spare fit over your front brakes?

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 11:37:54 am »
Hey Geoff and Dwanye,
No my 14" spare won't fit over my front calipers. :omg:
I'm off to buy a 16" that will fit!
Cheers Phil.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 02:24:07 pm »
My spare doesn't fit on the front either. I've actually never had a puncture in that car but I figure if I get one in the front I'll just put one of the back wheels on the front and the spare on the back to get me going. Bit of double handling if it happens but not the end of the world.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 03:24:24 pm »
... I figure if I get one in the front I'll just put one of the back wheels on the front and the spare on the back to get me going.

I think that is actually the recommendation with standard space-saver wheels. You wouldn't trust a skinny wheel on the front for steering.  We're not driving Funny Cars here :).

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 04:29:59 pm »
I think that is actually the recommendation with standard space-saver wheels. You wouldn't trust a skinny wheel on the front for steering.  We're not driving Funny Cars here :).

I never thought about that but it makes a lot of sense Shane. However, it doesn't seem to be something the Benz people thought of as there's no mention of it in the manual. As far as I can recall I've only had rear wheel punctures in it.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 06:02:11 pm »
I thought I would test out my assumption that a TUST (Temporary Use Spare Tyre) space saver should always go on the rear - straight to Dr Google!

... and found some interesting advice from our Kiwi friends:

"If your flat tyre is on the front, and your car is front-wheel drive, swap one of the rear wheels to the front and put the space saver on the rear - this is because the front of the car is used for steering, braking and acceleration and therefore it needs the best rubber at the front.

If you have a rear-wheel drive car with a limited-slip differential, you risk damaging your differential if you put the space saver on the rear. Put it on the front and drive more slowly than the 80kph limit, especially in the rain."

Source: https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/roadcode-questions/car/theory/if-you-have-had-a-flat-tyre-and-have-fit/

The latter advice does seem correct, as any difference is wheel diameter on the rear (and there would be) would upset an LSD/Locker.

Nothing is ever straight forward  :toetapping:

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 10:28:48 am »
I thought I would test out my assumption that a TUST (Temporary Use Spare Tyre) space saver should always go on the rear - straight to Dr Google!

... and found some interesting advice from our Kiwi friends:

"If your flat tyre is on the front, and your car is front-wheel drive, swap one of the rear wheels to the front and put the space saver on the rear - this is because the front of the car is used for steering, braking and acceleration and therefore it needs the best rubber at the front.

If you have a rear-wheel drive car with a limited-slip differential, you risk damaging your differential if you put the space saver on the rear. Put it on the front and drive more slowly than the 80kph limit, especially in the rain."

Source: https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/roadcode-questions/car/theory/if-you-have-had-a-flat-tyre-and-have-fit/

The latter advice does seem correct, as any difference is wheel diameter on the rear (and there would be) would upset an LSD/Locker.

Nothing is ever straight forward  :toetapping:

Now we're all going down the rabbit hole.

You'd think that the manufacturers who insist on giving us these skinny spares, if they give you one at all, would make sure the rolling circumference was the same as the road tyres.

My daily has different tyre sizes front and rear and it turns out the spare is 16 and 19 mm smaller in circumference than the front and rears respectively, or 0.8 and 1%. Probably not enough to upset the diff.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 05:32:12 pm »
Hi all,
I've given up on getting a second hand wheel and tyre around here (Bathurst) so I've been off to the Tyre Services.
Looked at Temporary wheel / tyres but everyone from this forum and the wreckers warned me off them with merit!
Looked at AU to BF wheels but they have a very different offset. Mustangs would need X or E series wheels based on zero offset + or -.
So at this stage I'm getting something from Bob Jane, Dynamic drift wheel (Australian Owned) and Boto tyre (Chinese).
Hard to find local manufacturers, being just a spare and may never be used at all, I wasn't prepared to spend a lot of dollars!
So after all I won't have saved any space in the boot, but at least I'll have a spare that will fit front and back!
Cheers Phil.

Hi all,

Decided against the Boto tyre, went for a Bob Jane xenon Z7 tyre made in Indonesia!
Cheers Phil.

Update;
The wheel Bob Jane offered had the wrong offset and hit on the upper control arm.
Off to Bridgestone this afternoon,  they have a sunraysia type wheel that may fit, fingers crossed !!!
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:54:15 pm by AussiePhil »